Flora of Haryana: Limonia acidissima from Karnal Near NDRI Campus

Balkar Arya

Aug 26, 2011, 8:53:54 PM8/26/11
to indiantreepix
Dear All

Limonia acidissima L

From Roadside area Near NDRI Campus Karnal Haryana (228 Mts)
Planted by forest deptt there
Localy known as " Kaintha" Fruit is edible and have medicinal value

--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964
Limonia acidissima (1).JPG
Limonia acidissima (10).JPG
Limonia acidissima (11).JPG
Limonia acidissima (12).JPG
Limonia acidissima (2).JPG
Limonia acidissima (3).JPG
Limonia acidissima (4).JPG
Limonia acidissima (5).JPG
Limonia acidissima (6).JPG
Limonia acidissima (7).JPG
Limonia acidissima (8).JPG
Limonia acidissima (9).JPG

Tanay Bose

Aug 27, 2011, 2:07:54 AM8/27/11
to Balkar Arya, indiantreepix
Very nice  and detailed photographs Balkar ji
Thanks for sharing
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Na Bha

Aug 27, 2011, 7:28:20 AM8/27/11
to Balkar Arya, indiantreepix
I suppose it is aclled kavath in Marathi.

correct?
Regards
Nalini

Madhuri Raut

Aug 27, 2011, 8:00:41 AM8/27/11
to Na Bha, Balkar Arya, indiantreepix
nice pics.
yes it is called kavath in Marathi and a deleicious chatani is made from its pulp esp on Mahashivratari day
Regards
Bhagyashri

promila chaturvedi

Aug 27, 2011, 9:18:23 AM8/27/11
to Madhuri Raut, Na Bha, Balkar Arya, indiantreepix
It is also known as Kaith. I experienced its sharp thorns during my childhood. But also trid to fell few fruits- some ripe and some of them fully ripe. Enjoyed the taste .And in the bargain got scolding.
Promila

Balkar Arya

Aug 27, 2011, 9:34:26 AM8/27/11
to promila chaturvedi, Madhuri Raut, Na Bha, indiantreepix
Thanks Tanay, Nalini Ji, Madhuri Ji and Promila ji