etymology :: hedysarifolia

Dinesh Valke

Jan 26, 2011, 12:27:15 AM1/26/11
to efloraofindia
Dear friends,

Would like to know the derivation of the epithet hedysarifolia (in context of Clematis hedysarifolia).

Logically, it could mean "resembling leaves of Hedysarum"
Do leaves of Clematis hedysarifolia resemble the leaves of Hedysarum (belonging to Fabaceae) which has pinnate leaves ?

Is Hedysarium with an " i " a valid genus (or a name for any plant) ?

Regards,
Dinesh.

Dinesh Valke

Jan 26, 2011, 12:44:26 AM1/26/11
to efloraofindia
Dear friends,

Now, I see some of the Desmodium (syn Hedysarum) have trifoliate (pinnate) leaves.

Regards,
Dinesh

Pankaj Kumar

Jan 26, 2011, 7:21:50 AM1/26/11
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
I think you already got the answer!
Pankaj

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 11:14 AM, Dinesh Valke <dinesh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear friends,
>
> Now, I see some of the Desmodium (syn Hedysarum) have trifoliate (pinnate)
> leaves.
>
> Regards,
> Dinesh
>

> On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 10:57 AM, Dinesh Valke <dinesh...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Dear friends,
>>
>> Would like to know the derivation of the epithet hedysarifolia (in context
>> of Clematis hedysarifolia).
>>
>> Logically, it could mean "resembling leaves of Hedysarum"
>> Do leaves of Clematis hedysarifolia resemble the leaves of Hedysarum
>> (belonging to Fabaceae) which has pinnate leaves ?
>>
>> Is Hedysarium with an " i " a valid genus (or a name for any plant) ?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Dinesh.

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate