Malvaceae Week: Malva verticillata from Baramulla, Kashmir

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 8, 2011, 11:33:56 PM9/8/11
to efloraofindia, Flowers of India, Tabish
Malva verticillata Linn., Sp.Pl. 689. 1753

Common names: Whorled mallow, curly mallow

Tall annual or biennial herb reaching 2.5 m; leaves orbicular, up to 25 cm long and as broad, usually 5-lobed; stipules lanceolate 5 mm long; petiole up to 25 cm long; flowers many, on almost invisible pedicels; epicalyx segments linear or linear-lanceolate, 3-6 mm long; calyx 5-6 mm long, enlarged in fruit; petals pinkish, 7-9 mm long, slightly notched; fruit enclosed in calyx, 5-7 mm across, mericarps 10-12, glabrous.

Photographed from Baramulla, Kashmir, grown as vegetable (Sonchal, sotsul)

Often cultivated as vegetable
--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Malva-verticillata-Baramulla-Kashmir-1.jpg
Malva-verticillata-Baramulla-Kashmir-2.jpg
Malva-verticillata-Baramulla-Kashmir-3.jpg
Malva-verticillata-Baramulla-Kashmir-4.jpg

Satish Phadke

Sep 9, 2011, 6:22:25 AM9/9/11
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, Flowers of India, Tabish
Thanks Sir ji
We always learn many new plants from you.
Not only good illustrations but the clearly mentioned character description makes your posts truly complete. We are really lucky to have you with us.

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 9, 2011, 7:22:45 AM9/9/11
to Satish Phadke, efloraofindia, Flowers of India, Tabish
Thanks Satish ji
These kind words are food for me to continue to do what I can

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

formp...@yahoo.com

Sep 9, 2011, 7:29:43 AM9/9/11
to Satish Phadke, Efloraindia, Gurcharan Singh, Flowers of India, Tabish
Agreed, agreed, agreed.
Should say we are lucky to be there with you.
Madhuri

Sent from BlackBerry® on Airtel

From: Satish Phadke <drsmp...@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2011 15:52:25 +0530