Adventitious roots on Asana

Neil Soares

Aug 4, 2010, 1:07:12 PM8/4/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
 Have many Asana trees [both Bridelia spinosa & Bridelia squamosa] trees on my property. Last weekend noticed one of them had suddenly sprung adventitious roots.
 Reasons solicited for this. Sending a few photographs.
                With regards,
                  Neil Soares

Bridelia spinosa, Asana 1.jpg
Bridelia spinosa, Asana 2.jpg
Bridelia spinosa, Asana 3.jpg
Bridelia spinosa, Asana 4.jpg

Divakar

Aug 5, 2010, 12:20:45 AM8/5/10
to efloraofindia
Dear Neilji,
That could be new thorns rather than adventituous roots.
Please have a close observation of 2nd and 3rd photogrphs.

I would like to know the plant (climber?) with trilobed leaves and
hanging inflorescence seen in first photograph.
Is it Pureria? I never saw the flowers.
Thanking you

-Divakar Mesta
>  Bridelia spinosa, Asana 1.jpg
> 292KViewDownload
>
>  Bridelia spinosa, Asana 2.jpg
> 129KViewDownload
>
>  Bridelia spinosa, Asana 3.jpg
> 121KViewDownload
>
>  Bridelia spinosa, Asana 4.jpg
> 136KViewDownload

Neil Soares

Aug 5, 2010, 12:34:41 AM8/5/10
to efloraofindia, Divakar
Hi Divakar,
  Thanks but don't think they are thorns. As a tree grows larger spines tend to decrease not increase. The climber is Butea parviflora [Palas-vel].
                        Regards,
                          Neil Soares.

tanay bose

Aug 5, 2010, 3:28:03 AM8/5/10
to Neil Soares, efloraofindia, Divakar
A nice feature
tanay

--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)

arvind kadus

Aug 5, 2010, 11:39:24 AM8/5/10
to neil soares, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Neil ji, all the plants of B. retusa I have seen, all were with the thorns at bottom i.e. on the stem ( younger plants only). But as they grow these thorns disappear.
These are not the roots as per my observation. Because they do not grow longer or to the earth.
Thanx.
Regards,
Dr.Kadus Arvind

IMG_3271.JPG

Neil Soares

Aug 5, 2010, 12:55:00 PM8/5/10
to arvind kadus, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Dr. Kadus, but if they are not roots and not thorns, then what are they ?
                          Regards,
                            Neil Soares.

Aug 5, 2010, 11:14:59 PM8/5/10
to Gurcharan Singh, arvind kadus, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Prof. Singh, but what could be the purpose behind this ? Incidently, have also observed this phenomena in Karmal [Dillenia pentagyna].
                      Regards,
                        Neil Soares.

Neil Soares

Aug 5, 2010, 11:43:49 PM8/5/10
to Gurcharan Singh, arvind kadus, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
 Am aware of the pioneering work of Prof. Nalini Nadkarni where she discovered that tall trees in rain forests grew arboreal roots from branches in their crowns to tap into the canopy humus .... but this is hardly that scenario.
                         With regards,
                           Neil Soares.

Gurcharan Singh

Aug 6, 2010, 12:06:36 AM8/6/10
to Neil Soares, arvind kadus, indian...@googlegroups.com
Neil ji
I think that is why they eventually harden and become spinelike.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Dr Pankaj Kumar

Aug 6, 2010, 12:26:07 AM8/6/10
to efloraofindia
Nice discussion. Wwhy dont we cut a section of the thing and see how
the vascular bundles are arranged. Then we can make out if that is
stem or root!!!
Regards
Pankaj

On Aug 6, 9:06 am, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Neil ji
> I think that is why they eventually harden and become spinelike.
>
> --
> Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> Retired  Associate Professor
>

> On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 9:13 AM, Neil Soares <drneilsoa...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >  Am aware of the pioneering work of Prof. Nalini Nadkarni where she
> > discovered that tall trees in rain forests grew arboreal roots from branches
> > in their crowns to tap into the canopy humus .... but this is hardly that
> > scenario.
> >                          With regards,
> >                            Neil Soares.

Gurcharan Singh

Aug 6, 2010, 3:08:32 AM8/6/10
to Dr Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
Neil ji
Yes nice solution. You can try that with a new emerging soft structure.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Neil Soares

Aug 6, 2010, 3:25:33 AM8/6/10
to Dr Pankaj Kumar, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Hi Prof. Singh & Dr.Kumar,
   Fair enough. Am not a botanist but will see what I can manage.
                       Regards,
                         Neil Soares.

Dr. Arvind Kadus

Aug 6, 2010, 1:51:58 PM8/6/10
to efloraofindia, drneil...@yahoo.com
In case of Bombax malabaricum or Zanthoxylum rhesta what is your
opinion ? Are these all the roots or prickles? I think in B. retusa
these are sharp prickles Many Sp/Var.. from Bridelia having this
feature.
Correct me I am going wrong.
Thanx.
Dr. Kadus Arvind Pune.

On Aug 6, 12:25 pm, Neil Soares <drneilsoa...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi Prof. Singh & Dr.Kumar,
>    Fair enough. Am not a botanist but will see what I can manage.
>                        Regards,
>                          Neil Soares.

Pankaj Kumar

Aug 6, 2010, 2:02:13 PM8/6/10
to Dr. Arvind Kadus, efloraofindia, drneil...@yahoo.com
This discussion reminds me of another common plant, Solanum tuberosum.
People say the the tuber is a modified stem. But have you ever checked
if there are vascular bundles in potato tubers...we couldnt find any.
So, we, me and one of professors (Dr. T.K.Ghosh) at Ranchi University
came to conclusion that it could be stipule!!! Though we could never
prove our findings. He never taught me but always admired my work and
has been a source of inspiration for me. Dr. T.K.Ghosh is retired, and
is considered as Walking Encyclopedia of Plants in Jharkhand and
Bihar. He did his PhD under Dr. P.Maheshwari at DU, just incase Dr.
Gurcharan may be acquainted with him.

Regards
Pankaj

Vijayasankar

Aug 6, 2010, 3:21:26 PM8/6/10
to Pankaj Kumar, Dr. Arvind Kadus, efloraofindia, drneil...@yahoo.com
Dr. Pankaj,

I appreciate your research aptitude. But the presence of 'axillary buds' (eye spots) confirms that it is a stem. Since its main function is 'storage of food material' its conductive tissues are perhaps not functional. So you can see only parenchyma stuffed with starch when you take cross section pushing the vascular ring towards periphery. See this link: http://www.geochembio.com/biology/organisms/potato/#tuber

Regarding the 'thorns' on Bridelia trunk, i am not very comfortable to call them as adventitious roots. I think they are nothing but small branchlets modified as thorns for protection purpose.
['spines' are modified leaves; and 'prickles' are just extensions of cortex and epidermis http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thorns,_spines,_and_prickles. So, it should have been named as 'Bridelia thornosa'!!! and not B. spinosa...just a joke]

With regards

Vijayasankar

Pankaj Kumar

Aug 6, 2010, 3:28:51 PM8/6/10
to Vijayasankar, Dr. Arvind Kadus, efloraofindia, drneil...@yahoo.com
Thanks a lo for the information Vijay, our research failed it seems :(
Pankaj