VALMIKI : OBSERVER OF NATURE 41

Col Bimal Sarkar

Aug 19, 2011, 5:08:58 AM8/19/11
Dear Friend,
                    Attaching an image of 41st member of the series.Valmiki mentioned this member as MADHKA in Ramayan.Scientifically it is Madhuca indica ( Syn Bassia latifolia ).It is Mohwa in Hindi and Mahua or Maul in Bangla.Sometime in 1968-69 I saw this tree in bloom ,for the first time near North Bengal University ( Siliguri ).My stay at Pachmarhi for almost 7 years ( at different times ),gave me oppotunity to understand the versatility of this tree.
I saw only one tree at Cooch Behar.The images are of that tree.Unfortunately the owner has fell that tree.

Regards
Col (Retd) Bimal Sarkar
Mobile: 9434194942
Madhuk 1.jpg