Book on taxonomy

Alok Goyal

Dec 22, 2010, 6:49:31 AM12/22/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Hallo all

being a botanist, it may seem to be an absurd question to be asked on my part but can anyone tell me the book or literature where i can find all about taxonomy, plant diversification, their evolution, systematics in general. description of families is what is discussed in most of the books on taxonomy after a brief discussion on these topics. what i want is taxonomy and systematics beyond the normal treatment of families. i am attaching a paper on polyploidy and angiosperm diversification for your perusal. i want to do justice to this paper. can any one help. if someone has the matter in soft form, can i have a share ?

Alok
polyploidy and angiosperm diversification.pdf

Dr Pankaj Kumar

Dec 22, 2010, 1:07:58 PM12/22/10
to efloraofindia
Try reading
Plant Taxonomy: The Systematic Evaluation of Comparative Data by Tod
F. Stuessy

some pages of the same are given here:

http://books.google.co.in/books?id=0bYs8F0Mb9gC&printsec=frontcover&dq=plant+systematics,+tod+stuessy&source=bl&ots=5OJnEEvsKE&sig=cEUgEIncsvWbuwmjqnSBaksZrmY&hl=en&ei=ZT0STY3rDcfYrQe25IzwCw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBkQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=plant%20systematics%2C%20tod%20stuessy&f=false

You may also refer to the book written by Soltis himself:

Molecular systematics of plants 2, Volume 2 By Douglas E. Soltis,
Pamela S. Soltis, Jeff J. Doyle.

Hope these will help.
Regards
Pankaj
>  polyploidy and angiosperm diversification.pdf
> 1559KViewDownload

Pinki

Dec 23, 2010, 12:55:55 AM12/23/10
to efloraofindia
Thank you very much for your response Pankaj Ji i ll try to lay my
hands on these books somewhere...

Alok

On Dec 22, 10:07 am, Dr Pankaj Kumar <sahanipan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Try reading
> Plant Taxonomy: The Systematic Evaluation of Comparative Data by Tod
> F. Stuessy
>
> some pages of the same are given here:
>
> http://books.google.co.in/books?id=0bYs8F0Mb9gC&printsec=frontcover&d...

harithasandhya

Dec 23, 2010, 5:16:50 AM12/23/10
to efloraofindia
I was reading on Polyploidy just a couple of days ago in a great book
'The Secret Life of Trees: How they live and why they matter' by Colin
Tudge. (Published by Penguin Books).

Thanks for sharing this paper on Polyploidy. I am no botanist but this
paper would indeed deepen my perceptions. A wonderful coincidence
indeed.

Thanks once again,
Sandhya