Flora of Chakrata: Saxifraga sp from Budher Caves Road Chakrata

Balkar Arya

Sep 22, 2011, 10:49:08 AM9/22/11
to indiantreepix
Dear All
Saxifraga sp from Budher Caves Road Chakrata
My id is Saxifraga parnassifolia
pls validate

--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964
Saxifraga parnassifolia (1).JPG
Saxifraga parnassifolia (10).JPG
Saxifraga parnassifolia (11).JPG
Saxifraga parnassifolia (12).JPG
Saxifraga parnassifolia (13).JPG
Saxifraga parnassifolia (14).JPG
Saxifraga parnassifolia (2).JPG
Saxifraga parnassifolia (3).JPG
Saxifraga parnassifolia (4).JPG
Saxifraga parnassifolia (5).JPG
Saxifraga parnassifolia (6).JPG
Saxifraga parnassifolia (7).JPG
Saxifraga parnassifolia (8).JPG
Saxifraga parnassifolia (9).JPG

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 22, 2011, 11:33:04 AM9/22/11
to Balkar Arya, indiantreepix
Quick ID Balkar ji
Thanks for sharing

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Balkar Arya

Sep 22, 2011, 11:51:20 AM9/22/11
to Gurcharan Singh, indiantreepix
Thanks for Confirmation sir

chrischa...@btinternet.com

Nov 20, 2016, 2:19:41 PM11/20/16
to efloraofindia
This is Saxifraga parnassifolia.  In addition to the differences between this and S.moorcroftiana given in 'Flowers of the Himalaya', the assorted images of both species posted on this site and my own images of S.moorcroftiana have shown clear differences.  S.parnassifolia has more rounded /circular petals with 2 noticeable 'appendages' at the base of petals. S.moorcroftiana does not have the appendages but typically markings on the interior of the petals which are narrower, a markedly different shape.

Both species are recorded for this region.  Other than that, I think, given that not only has there been confusion between the two species historically, that has continued to this day, as shown by the postings on this site, quoting what the floras and references have to say is pointless.  I feel I have built up the better understanding - thanks to viewing plants in the wild and the other images seen thanks to eFI.  This is superior to pressed specimens alone in herbaria.....

J.M. Garg

Nov 20, 2016, 11:31:07 PM11/20/16
to chrischa...@btinternet.com, efloraofindia, Balkar Arya

Thanks, Chadwell ji