Wynad flora #1 - 07Mar10AR01

raghu ananth

Mar 7, 2011, 1:13:26 PM3/7/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com

Date/Time-10th Jan 2011 06:26 PM

Location- Place, Altitude, GPS- Near Karapuzha, Wynaad

Habitat- Garden/ Urban/ Wild/ Type-, Wild, Western ghats,

lant Habit- Tree/ Shrub/ Climber/ Herb-

Forest stream edges

Height/Length-approx - 9 - 12 feet

Leaves Type/ Shape/ Size- Shape - Not observed

Inflorescence Type/ Size-Not observed

Flowers Size/ Colour/ Calyx/ Bracts-Large, 10cms, Red,

Fruits Type/ Shape/ Size Seeds- No fruits

Other Information like Fragrance, Pollinator, Uses etc.- Low light photograph

Regards
Raghu

"Our modern industrial economy takes a mountain covered with trees, lakes, running streams and transforms it into a mountain of junk, garbage, slime pits, and debris.  ~Edward Abbey
"

DSC_1494d1.jpg
DSC_1499c1.jpg
DSC_1491a1.jpg
DSC_1497b1.jpg

Raghu

Mar 7, 2011, 1:36:58 PM3/7/11
to efloraofindia
The red flower of this plant has resemblance to the flowers of the red
silk cotton tree - Bombax ceiba.

Gurcharan Singh

Mar 31, 2011, 3:39:32 AM3/31/11
to Raghu, efloraofindia
Reply from Neil Ji

Affirmative Raghu. This is a species of Bombax possibly Bombax insigne. Have also seen small trees flowering and fruiting at Shahapur.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

raghu ananth

Mar 31, 2011, 4:53:38 AM3/31/11
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Thanks Neil & Gurucharan ji,

Yes, they do look like Bombax.

Here is a link from Dinesh Valke's flickr photo album

Even these flowers look alike with that of mine - the flower, stem, thorns, curvy branches.. ..

Dinesh ji, Pls let me know the height of your flowering plant - if you could remember. I am just curious ..

Thanks

Raghu