Malvaceae week 952011-9112011 UD 021 Chorisia speciosa Xeriscape tree

ushadi Micromini

Sep 8, 2011, 11:23:26 AM9/8/11
to efloraofindia, Balkar Arya, Gurcharan Singh, J.M. Garg
Malvaceae week 952011-9112011 UD 021 Chorisia speciosa Xeriscape tree

Dear All:

Family:  Malvaceae

Subfamily:           Bombacoideae

Genus:                              Ceiba

Species:                                       Ceiba  speciosa(A.St.-Hil.) Ravenna

Synonym:                                           Chorisia speciosa A.St.-Hil.

Colloqiual names: silk floss tree
A  street tree  in Arizona, New mexico, Southern California, planted for Xeriscape  ...

Native of  South American continent, is grown in tropic for the Xeriscape,  beautiful flowers, curiosity and because of prolific seed production, may establish itself in hospitable terrain (this last is  my opinion, nobody seems to have written about it yet! Usha di) ….

Enjoy

Usha di

Chorisia speciosa 1 Southern CA FLOWERS 91308 008 sm crp.jpg
Chorisia speciosa 2 Southern CA THORNS AND SPLIT BARK 91308 010 sm crp.jpg

Satish Phadke

Sep 8, 2011, 11:36:18 AM9/8/11
to ushadi Micromini, efloraofindia, Balkar Arya, Gurcharan Singh, J.M. Garg
Wow beautiful flowers.
It is also called as Delhi Sawar probably because many trees have been planted in Delhi long time back.
I had not observed that thorny bark before(My laziness)
Adding some of my photographs from Pune.Sorry can't find on my comp.
Dr Phadke

ushadi Micromini

Sep 8, 2011, 11:48:06 AM9/8/11
to Satish Phadke, efloraofindia, Balkar Arya, Gurcharan Singh, J.M. Garg
Satish ji: thorns are for storing water.  I have noticed some of the sheemul trees which usually  are supposed to have thorns... do not have them ... may e be they are watered regularly and do not need these storage tanks...   trees have brains that are used instantly in time... not just natural selection as Darwin proposed... but I  suspect just like humans.. animals and plants make intelligent choices...  and learn to adapt in their own lifetimes and pass on the knowledge gained in genes and some other vibrational modality....

Life science are soooo interesting..

yes add them here when you find your picture of Delhi trees, would love to see them..

Usha di

=======

Dinesh Valke

Sep 8, 2011, 11:55:07 AM9/8/11
to ushadi Micromini, Satish Phadke, efloraofindia, Balkar Arya, Gurcharan Singh, J.M. Garg
... beautiful flower ... not yet lucky to get to it.
Regards.
Dinesh

Dinesh Valke

Sep 8, 2011, 11:55:54 AM9/8/11
to ushadi Micromini, Satish Phadke, efloraofindia, Balkar Arya, Gurcharan Singh, J.M. Garg
... and great photography too !!
Regards.
Dinesh

ushadi Micromini

Sep 8, 2011, 11:59:59 AM9/8/11
to Dinesh Valke, Satish Phadke, efloraofindia, Balkar Arya, Gurcharan Singh, J.M. Garg
not like you though....

thanks for appreciating ... may be I'll want to go on some shooting trips with you and Garg ji...

Usha di
===

Tanay Bose

Sep 8, 2011, 12:56:19 PM9/8/11
to ushadi Micromini, Dinesh Valke, Satish Phadke, efloraofindia, Balkar Arya, Gurcharan Singh, J.M. Garg
Nice one .. I appreciate that you posted the bark of the
plant which more unique than flowers for me at least.
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Madhuri Pejaver

Sep 8, 2011, 3:16:51 PM9/8/11
to efloraofindia, Balkar Arya, Gurcharan Singh, J.M. Garg, ushadi Micromini
Beautiful
Madhuri

Anand Kumar Bhatt

Sep 9, 2011, 8:14:46 AM9/9/11
to Madhuri Pejaver, micromi...@gmail.com, efloraofindia, Balkar Arya, Gurcharan Singh, J.M. Garg
Thorns are generally seen on juvenile trees and not on fully grown trees. Proves Ushadi's point.
ak
--
Anand Kumar Bhatt
A-59, B.S.F.Colony, Airport Road