Red blossoms of the Bombax ceiba tree & Rosy Pastors - a wonderful tableau

raghu ananth

Apr 15, 2011, 6:38:03 AM4/15/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Red blossoms of the Bombax ceiba tree & Rosy Pastors - a wonderful tableau
(Repost of "the changing face of Bombax ceiba" after corrections in the local, scientific tree name, added relevant photo sequence  )

It was a stark, stark scene. The Bombax Ceiba Tree stood shorn of its leaves and red glistening flowers just like a bride that had just removed all her finery. But three weeks later when we chanced to see the tree, it made for a splendid sight. The entire tree sported lovely red blossoms that made one to pause and stare. Moments later, we saw one of the winter visitors, Rosy Pastors for which the Bombax Ceiba flowers might have been nothing short of a banquet. What a wonderful tableau it created - the sunlight seeping in through the branches even as the birds chirped away to their hearts content.. The gentle breeze made the flowers, which were just buds three weeks before, drop to the ground with a soft pop. Of course by April, the whole tree would be covered with leaves. We rested under the cool shade of the Bombax Ceiba Tree a landscape far removed from that of the city, which we knew awaited us, with all its noise and smells, its relentless pace and sometimes uncaring nature !

Photo date : 24 Feb 2008,

Moodlu Koppal,
Mysore district

Vernacular : Buruga, Burugada mara
English : Silk Cotton

Family:Malvaceae
Genus:Bombax
Species:B. ceiba

"Look at the trees, look at the birds, look at the clouds, look at the stars... and if you have eyes you will be able to see that the whole existence is joyful.  Everything is simply happy.  Trees are happy for no reason; they are not going to become prime ministers or presidents and they are not going to become rich and they will never have any bank balance.  Look at the flowers - for no reason.  It is simply unbelievable how happy flowers are.  ~Osho "

Regards

Raghu & Sunita

DSC_4154a.jpg
DSC_4126a.jpg
DSC_4117a.jpg
DSC_4012a.jpg
DSC_4156a.jpg
DSC_5996a.jpg
DSC_5999a.jpg
DSC_6003a.jpg
DSC_6006a.jpg

tanay bose

Apr 15, 2011, 9:17:03 AM4/15/11
to Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
Exceptional shot
Tanay

On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 6:06 AM, Ushadi micromini <micromi...@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear Raghuji:
What a magnificent old tree,  and lovely writing... with a spiritual
soul...
thanks,
Usha di

--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Ushadi micromini

Apr 15, 2011, 9:06:33 AM4/15/11
to efloraofindia
Dear Raghuji:
What a magnificent old tree, and lovely writing... with a spiritual
soul...
thanks,
Usha di

On Apr 15, 3:38 pm, raghu ananth <raghu_...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Red blossoms of the Bombax ceiba tree & Rosy Pastors - a wonderful tableau
> (Repost of "the changing face of Bombax ceiba" after corrections in the local, scientific tree name, added relevant photo sequence  )
> It was a stark, stark scene. The Bombax Ceiba Tree stood shorn of its leaves and red glistening
>  flowers just like a bride that had just removed all her finery. But three weeks later when we chanced to see the tree, it made for a splendid sight. The entire tree sported lovely red blossoms that made one to pause and stare. Moments later, we saw one of the winter visitors, Rosy Pastors for which the Bombax Ceiba flowers might have been nothing short of a banquet. What a wonderful tableau it created - the sunlight seeping in through the branches even as the birds chirped away to their hearts content.. The gentle breeze made the flowers, which were just buds three weeks before, drop to the ground with a soft pop. Of course by April, the whole tree would be covered with leaves. We rested under the cool shade of the Bombax Ceiba Tree a landscape far removed from that of the city, which we knew awaited us, with all its noise and smells, its relentless pace and sometimes uncaring nature !
> Photo date : 24 Feb 2008,                      05 Apr 2008
> Moodlu Koppal, Mysore district
>
> https://picasaweb.google.com/raghu.krn/RosyPastorsAndTheRedBlossomsOf...
> Vernacular : Buruga, Burugada maraEnglish : Silk Cotton
> Family:MalvaceaeGenus:BombaxSpecies:B. ceiba
>
> "Look at the trees, look at the birds, look at the clouds, look at the stars... and if you have eyes you will be able to see that the whole existence is joyful.  Everything is simply happy.  Trees are happy for no reason; they are not going to become prime ministers or presidents and they are not going to become rich and they will never have any bank balance.  Look at the flowers - for no reason.  It is simply unbelievable how happy flowers are.  ~Osho "
> Regards
> Raghu & Sunita

shrikant ingalhalikar

Apr 15, 2011, 10:08:15 AM4/15/11
to efloraofindia
Very interesting association. The Rosy Starlings are on their up
migration when the Bombax trees bloom in February (In south India).
Red flowers are designed to attract birds and they have sweet nectar
to offer to birds as a reward for effecting the pollination. The
nectar is so abundent that it spills down as the birds tilt the
flowers. It appears as if the Rosy Starlings also take away the rosy
colour on their chest feathers because they acquire the breeding
plumage during their return journey. The change of latitude probably
offers the Rosy Starlings full bloom at every place as they travel
northwards. Nice observations that refresh everyone from the routine
ID exchange. Regards, Shrikant

On Apr 15, 3:38 pm, raghu ananth <raghu_...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Red blossoms of the Bombax ceiba tree & Rosy Pastors - a wonderful tableau
> (Repost of "the changing face of Bombax ceiba" after corrections in the local, scientific tree name, added relevant photo sequence  )
> It was a stark, stark scene. The Bombax Ceiba Tree stood shorn of its leaves and red glistening
>  flowers just like a bride that had just removed all her finery. But three weeks later when we chanced to see the tree, it made for a splendid sight. The entire tree sported lovely red blossoms that made one to pause and stare. Moments later, we saw one of the winter visitors, Rosy Pastors for which the Bombax Ceiba flowers might have been nothing short of a banquet. What a wonderful tableau it created - the sunlight seeping in through the branches even as the birds chirped away to their hearts content.. The gentle breeze made the flowers, which were just buds three weeks before, drop to the ground with a soft pop. Of course by April, the whole tree would be covered with leaves. We rested under the cool shade of the Bombax Ceiba Tree a landscape far removed from that of the city, which we knew awaited us, with all its noise and smells, its relentless pace and sometimes uncaring nature !
> Photo date : 24 Feb 2008,                      05 Apr 2008
> Moodlu Koppal, Mysore district
>
> https://picasaweb.google.com/raghu.krn/RosyPastorsAndTheRedBlossomsOf...
> Vernacular : Buruga, Burugada maraEnglish : Silk Cotton
> Family:MalvaceaeGenus:BombaxSpecies:B. ceiba
>
> "Look at the trees, look at the birds, look at the clouds, look at the stars... and if you have eyes you will be able to see that the whole existence is joyful.  Everything is simply happy.  Trees are happy for no reason; they are not going to become prime ministers or presidents and they are not going to become rich and they will never have any bank balance.  Look at the flowers - for no reason.  It is simply unbelievable how happy flowers are.  ~Osho "
> Regards
> Raghu & Sunita

raghu ananth

Apr 15, 2011, 10:38:52 AM4/15/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com, Ushadi micromini
Thank you so much,  Usha di

Bombax ceiba grows fast and huge. This tree I guess should be in its prime between 20-30  years. Not very old.  In fact its quite tough to see  any trees which are more than 20 years old in my village sorroundings. Please do read  excerpts from one of my earlier eflora posts (pasted below)  which speaks on the native trees -having lost their rights to complete their full life span.

/*

 During my birding & tree sighting trips in Mysore district, Karnataka. I sometime try to know &  photograph old and heritage trees. Soon,  I find it tough to sight trees and realize there are hardly any trees which are more than 20 years old, other than those found near temples, railway stations, various government premises and exclusive farms. Thanks to the tobacco growers and contractors for they spare no trees. They buy all kinds of trees from villagers, growing anywhere - in the open fields, farms, canal, river edges, schools and even the road side trees. The wood logs are later taken to  tobacco auction places in neigbouring places and districts  to be burnt in kilns to dry tobacco leaves.
 With international demand for the locally grown tobacco (FCV – Flue cured Virginia, Mysore tobacco) leaves increasing and prices soaring from Rs. 48/kg (year 2006) to Rs 95/- (year 2009) and upto Rs. 150/kg this year, there is less chance for the trees to inhabit the earth.
Again, it’s a known fact that once tobacco plants are grown in agricultural fields for couple of years, the land loses its ability to grow other crops.

On another side, the demands of civilization makes the the Govt. to take massive projects like road widening process, highways and bridges in my town which have made countless age old road side trees cut down and leave no trace of its existence.

The nursery run by the forest dept grows & supply saplings recommended by the dept. A good initiative.
We could find Indigenous trees like Mysore fig itself  missing in the nursery.

Sometimes I wonder as if the native trees have lost their rights in completing their full life span.
Thanks again to the meddling of human beings. )

*/
Price update 2011 Apr: Tobacco prices have crashed - approx. 90 Rs/Kg (for the best kind.)
Five years before,  large number of farmer families had turned down  growing rice, ragi, pulses, areca..and resorted to tobacco , hoping to get better price. Some were successful and were able to clear their age old loans which prompted the rest of the community to take the short path. This year there is surplus tobacco leaf supply allover and less buyers.

Hopefully they make a U turn to  crops, vegetables, fruits pulses..
I wish they get a bumper price.

Regards

Raghu

Neil Soares

Apr 15, 2011, 12:38:15 PM4/15/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com, raghu ananth
Hi,
 Sending a few of my photographs just to add to the list. The photographs were taken on my property at Shahapur.
                        With regards,
                          Neil Soares.

--- On Fri, 4/15/11, raghu ananth <ragh...@yahoo.com> wrote:
Rose-ringed Parakeets.jpg
Small Minivet [male].jpg
Three-striped Palm Squirrel 1.jpg
Three-striped Palm Squirrel 2.jpg
Vigor's sunbird [juvenile male].jpg

Madhuri Pejaver

Apr 18, 2011, 11:54:22 AM4/18/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com, raghu ananth, Neil Soares
Nabhaji
in the mail i was to add the word katesawar.
in these photos of Neilji you can see those 'kate', the thorns ( correct term?) on the tree.
Madhuri