ID request 19082011mc01

Mohan V. Chunkath

Aug 19, 2011, 6:57:40 AM8/19/11
to efloraofindia
Dear all,
Is this Erythrina indica? Thanks.

Locality: Yercaud, Tamil Nadu
Altitude: 4900 feet
Habitat: Medium sized tree
Approximate Height: 40 feet
Date: 2nd August 2011

Regards,
Mohan
6053040355_73e244e1a2_o.jpg

Dinesh Valke

Aug 19, 2011, 7:14:23 AM8/19/11
to Mohan V. Chunkath, efloraofindia, Ajinkya Gadave
... most possibly species of Acrocarpus ... could be A. fraxinifolius, not sure.
Please wait for comment(s).
Regards.
Dinesh

Tanay Bose

Aug 19, 2011, 9:53:12 AM8/19/11
to Dinesh Valke, Mohan V. Chunkath, efloraofindia, Ajinkya Gadave
I think Dinesh Ji you are correct this plant surely looks like
Pink Ceder
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Mohan V. Chunkath

Aug 19, 2011, 1:38:14 PM8/19/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com, Dinesh Valke, Mohan V. Chunkath, Ajinkya Gadave
Dear Dinesh ji, Tanay Ji and Ajinkya ji,
I compared the web photos of A. Fraxinifolius (pink cedar) with my photo. The leaves and leaf venation look quite different. The inflorescence also seems much longer. Will await more info. Thanks.

Mohan

Dinesh Valke

Aug 19, 2011, 1:56:45 PM8/19/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com, Mohan V. Chunkath, Ajinkya Gadave
... my doubts are similar.
Regards.
Dinesh

Nudrat

Aug 19, 2011, 4:04:56 PM8/19/11
to efloraofindia
Hello

I second Mohanji's thoughts.....the leaves and the inflorescence of
the plant in picture and those of A. fraxinifolius available on the
net are quite different.

Mahadeswara

Aug 20, 2011, 6:34:09 AM8/20/11
to efloraofindia
Looks like Erythrina variegata (syn. E.indica). However, I am not
sure which is the valid name : E.indica or E.variegata. Please
check.

On Aug 19, 3:57 pm, "Mohan V. Chunkath" <mohan.chunk...@gmail.com>
wrote:
>  6053040355_73e244e1a2_o.jpg
> 653KViewDownload

Smilax004

Aug 20, 2011, 12:19:06 PM8/20/11
to Mohan V. Chunkath, Mahadeswara Swamy, tanay bose, Dinesh Valke, indiantreepix
It is a species of Erythrina of Leguminosae family.

Erythrina variegata generally don't have leaves when flowering. They
usually flower when all the leaves shed. This species seems to be a
species of Erythrina that flowers in the monsoon (picture date 2nd
August 2011) whereas E. varigata flowers in the summer.

Please describe me about the nature of thorns on the plant; whether
they are all over the tree including trunk, branches and branch-lets
or otherwise.

Regards
Giby

wrote:

>  6053040355_73e244e1a2_o.jpg
> 653KViewDownload

Mohan V. Chunkath

Aug 21, 2011, 5:02:14 AM8/21/11
to Smilax004, Mahadeswara Swamy, tanay bose, Dinesh Valke, indiantreepix
Dear Giby,
I do not recall thorns being present all over the tree. I must confess, however, that I had not observed the tree closely enough. I am sending one more photograph which I had taken. Hope it helps.
Regards,
Mohan
6006494099_9688831165_o.jpg

Mohan V. Chunkath

Aug 21, 2011, 5:25:15 AM8/21/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Mahadeswara ji,
As per the plantlist.org Erythrina variegata is the valid name and not E. indica.
Regards,
Mohan

Yazdy Palia

Aug 21, 2011, 6:40:45 AM8/21/11
to Smilax004, Mohan V. Chunkath, Mahadeswara Swamy, tanay bose, Dinesh Valke, indiantreepix
No, not during the monsoon. It is after the monsoon. Got some nice
pictures last year with plenty of birds on it.
Regards
Yazdy.
IMG_3322.JPG
IMG_3332.JPG
IMG_3102.JPG

Mohan V. Chunkath

Aug 21, 2011, 7:23:51 AM8/21/11
to Yazdy Palia, Smilax004, Mahadeswara Swamy, tanay bose, Dinesh Valke, indiantreepix
Dear Yazdy ji,
The second photo shows an Oriental White-eye and the third photograph shows a pair of Leafbirds belonging to Chloropsis genus.
Regards,
Mohan

Yazdy Palia

Aug 21, 2011, 11:49:51 AM8/21/11
to Mohan V. Chunkath, Smilax004, Mahadeswara Swamy, tanay bose, Dinesh Valke, indiantreepix
Absolutely, Mohan ji, Thank you for the identification. The leaf birds
are golden fronted leaf birds.
Regards

Mohan V. Chunkath

Aug 21, 2011, 12:01:44 PM8/21/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com, Mohan V. Chunkath, Smilax004, Mahadeswara Swamy, tanay bose, Dinesh Valke
Dear Yazdy ji,
Many thanks for confirming the plant and bird IDs. Your place in Wynad sounds like a tropical paradise!
Cheers,
Mohan

Yazdy Palia

Aug 21, 2011, 12:09:44 PM8/21/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com, Mohan V. Chunkath, Smilax004, Mahadeswara Swamy, tanay bose, Dinesh Valke
Mohanji, it is wild and that is why it attracts birds and animals. I
have birds, butterflies, deers of two kinds, elephants, giant Malabar
squirrels, and what have you?
Regards.
Yazdy Palia.

JM Garg

Mar 2, 2015, 11:29:38 PM3/2/15
to efloraofindia, Mohan V. Chunkath, Varun Sharma
A reply:
"Please find the plant ID for link below:

https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!topic/indiantreepix/Vhh7esAs0WQ

Erythrina subumbrans (Hassk.) Merr.

Fabaceae

Synonyms:

Corallodendron lithospermum (Blume ex Miq.) Kuntze

Erythrina holoserica Kurz

Erythrina holosericea "Kurz, p.p."

Erythrina lithosperma var. armata Miq.

Erythrina lithosperma var. inermis Miq.

Erythrina secundiflora Hassk.

Erythrina sumatrana Miq.

Hypaphorus subumbrans Hassk.

Hypaphorus subumbrans var. aculeata Hassk.

Hypaphorus subumbrans var. inermis Hassk.

Kind regards,

Varun"

Thanks, Varun ji.

6053040355_73e244e1a2_o.jpg