Flora of Kaiga_ID_Plz_02062011 PJ2

PUTTARAJU K

Jun 1, 2011, 10:20:25 PM6/1/11
to indiantreepix

ID Confirmation plz  "Holigarna grahamii".The flower of this plant has a very nice smell & it is edible.In Uttar kannada district, the locals dry this flower & use in food items such as sheera ( kesari baat ) , in place of kismis.

Date/Time-: 6/05/11   -    10:00

Location- Place, Altitude - Kaiga , Uttar Kannada ,Karnataka, 380 mtrs

Habitat- Garden/ Urban/ Wild/ Type-   wild

Plant Habit- Tree/ Shrub/ Climber/ Herb- tree

Height/Length-18 mtr

--
With Regards,
PUTTARAJU K,

Neil Soares

Jun 1, 2011, 10:42:49 PM6/1/11
to indiantreepix, PUTTARAJU K
Hi,
 Negative. This is a species of Mohua [Madhuca] possibly M.longifolia var. latifolia.
                   Regards,
                    Neil Soares.

Satish Chile

Jun 2, 2011, 2:22:48 AM6/2/11
to Neil Soares, indiantreepix, PUTTARAJU K
Holigarna grahamii is a member of anacardiaceae. The fruits are here quite different. As Neil ji wrote this is most likely Madhuca longifolia var. latifolia. See below the link;
--
Dr. Satish Kumar Chile

Neil Soares

Jun 2, 2011, 3:50:02 AM6/2/11
to Satish Chile, indiantreepix, PUTTARAJU K
Thank you Dr. Chile. Sending you a few photographs of Mohua fruit taken at my farm while on a night-trail last weekend.......and a few more....
                         With regards,
                           Neil Soares.

--- On Thu, 6/2/11, Satish Chile <chile...@gmail.com> wrote:
Madhuca longifolia var.latofolia,Mohua fruit 1.jpg
White-throated Kingfisher sleeping on a branch of a Jarul tree 2.jpg
Madhuca longifolia var.latofolia,Mohua fruit 2.jpg
Common Tree Frog ,Polypedatus maculatus.jpg
Common Clubtail,Ictinogomphus rapax.jpg
Plain Tiger.jpg
Hawkmoth.jpg
Forest Calotes [Calotes rouxii] sleeping on a branch of a Mohua tree.jpg
Spread-eagled.jpg
White-throated Kingfisher sleeping on a branch of a Jarul tree 1.jpg

Madhuri Pejaver

Jun 2, 2011, 5:07:52 AM6/2/11
to Satish Chile, Neil Soares, indiantreepix, PUTTARAJU K
Great Experience of night trail
Madhuri

Satish Chile

Jun 2, 2011, 5:14:44 AM6/2/11
to Madhuri Pejaver, Neil Soares, indiantreepix, PUTTARAJU K
Thank you very much Neil ji.

Na Bha

Jun 2, 2011, 7:05:26 AM6/2/11
to Neil Soares, indiantreepix
I have the impression that your farm is a wonderland, a paradise.
We can see here just the fotos, but I am sure, not only eyes but ears also enjoy a walk thru you farm at day or nighttime.
Wish it grows more and more.
Nalini

PUTTARAJU K

Jun 2, 2011, 10:44:48 PM6/2/11
to Neil Soares, indiantreepix
Hi,

    Truly your farm is a natural zoo, we can experience the wilderness, Thanks for sharing night trail photos.

Regards

Puttaraju,K