Re: Fruits and vegetables week- MS010511 - 2

M Swamy

Jan 5, 2011, 11:08:17 PM1/5/11
to efloraofindia
  • Botanical Name : Ficus Racemosa
  • Family Name : Moraceae
  • Common Name : Cluster Fig, Indian Fig, Crattock, Rumbodo, Atteeka, Redwood Fig
  • Part Used : Bark, Root, Latex, Fruits
  • Habitat : It is cultivated all over india and also grows wild in many forests and hill areas.
Uses : 1.  Unripened fruits used as vegetable in Southern India.  Infact these are sold in the market.
           2. According to Ayurveda, roots are useful in hydrophobia whereas bark is acrid, cooling, galactagogue and good for gynaecological disorders. Fruits are astringent to bowels, styptic, tonic and useful in the treatment of leucorrhoea, blood disorders, burning sensation, fatigue, urinary discharges, leprosy, menorrhagia, epistaxis and intestinal worms. According to Unani system of medicine, leaves are astringent to bowels and good in case of bronchitis whereas fruits are useful in treatment of dry cough, loss of voice, diseases of kidney and spleen. Bark is useful in Asthma and piles. Latex is applied externally on chronic infected wounds to alleviate edema, pain and to promote the healing. The tender leaf buds are applied on the skin, in the form of paste, to improve the complexion.
F.racemosa a.JPG
F.racemosa.JPG

M Swamy

Jan 5, 2011, 11:10:43 PM1/5/11
to efloraofindia
Photos taken on 5.12.2010 . Location: Sayyaji Rao Road Mysore .

tanay bose

Jan 6, 2011, 12:35:28 AM1/6/11
to M Swamy, efloraofindia
nice write its also used as a veg in bengal
tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Pankaj Oudhia

Jan 6, 2011, 12:44:27 AM1/6/11
to efloraofindia
Thanks Swamy ji for sharing valuable information. The entire paragraph

"According to Ayurveda, roots are useful in Hydrophobia----" is copied from my online article at Botanical.com.

http://www.botanical.com/site/column_poudhia/127_doomar.html

Hoping that you have missed to quote the reference. Revised version on this article is available in pankajoudhia.com

regards

Pankaj Oudhia

Pankaj Oudhia

Jan 6, 2011, 9:02:27 AM1/6/11
to efloraofindia
Thanks a lot.

I am uploading the manuscripts of all my published and unpublished documents through this Photo Album.

पांडुलिपि "The Manuscript"

It is just for your information.

regards

Pankaj Oudhia

On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 4:22 PM, Mahadeswara <swamy...@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear Oudhiaji,
Thanks for pointing out the  source of the info.  Credit for the info
goes to you.  In a hurry I forgot to mention the website reference.
Sorry. In future,  I shall definitely quote the proper reference
whenever I collect info from websites.
Thanks and regards,
Mahadeswara Swamy, Ph.D.