Monsoon 2011| Fungi from Talacauvery| 29Aug11AR02

raghu ananth

Aug 29, 2011, 2:07:44 PM8/29/11
to efloraofindia
Monsoon 2011| Fungi from Talacauvery| 29Aug11AR02
Habitat: on an erect tree bark, probably dead portion.

// Stephen King's horror bank!

Talacauvery, Coorg

Regards
raghu

DSC_6394e.jpg
DSC_6395a.jpg
DSC_6394g.jpg

Inderjeet Sethi

Aug 30, 2011, 8:05:25 AM8/30/11
to raghu ananth, efloraofindia
This looks like Xylaria sp. (Pyrenomycetes). Did you notice the size of the fruiting bodies and any other features.
--
~ik~
Dr.Inderjeet Kaur Sethi

raghu ananth

Aug 30, 2011, 1:12:49 PM8/30/11
to Inderjeet Sethi, efloraofindia
Size of the fruiting body -upto 6cms, granite black color, tiny white spots - iridescent.
I think the fruit bodies are  flask-shaped.

Abundance - 30 nos.
Dead stump picture taken from 9 meters distant.
Thick vegetation, darkness, slope/elevation & the leeches prevented us reaching the tree. So no closeup picture.

It appears, these fungi closely relates to Dead Man's Fingers fungus or the Candle-snuff Fungus.

// In Bhagamandala, we colligated this black fungi to black leech sticks, very well disguised in the darkness of the tree bark. Add to it the dark woods behind. Imagine- we go close to the tree, the leech stick come alive &  rain on us...

Thanks a lot for the Id help!

Regards

Raghu

Apr 7, 2019, 3:29:13 AM4/7/19
to efloraofindia, raghu ananth
Appears close to images at Xylaria polymorpha (Pers.) Grev.
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- more than 2975 members & 3,00,000 messages on 25.7.18) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 12,000 species & 3,00,000 images of which 1,00,000 are directly displayed).

DSC_6394e.jpg
DSC_6395a.jpg
DSC_6394g.jpg