Fruit & Vegetable Week- Centella asiatica

mani nair

Jan 8, 2011, 2:36:13 AM1/8/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear friends.

Sending photos of Centella asiatica growing in our home.

Name : Centella asiatica
common name :  Brahmi
uses   :  Used as a vegetable for making chutneys, brain tonic.
Place :  Dombivli
Date  :  08.01.11

Regards,

Mani Nair
brahmi3.JPG
brahmi.JPG
brahmi.JPG

Nidhan Singh

Jan 8, 2011, 2:43:17 AM1/8/11
to mani nair, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,

This plant is known as Brahmi, can be better clarified if we use the
word "Mandukparni" as yet another plant, Bacopa monnieri is also known
as Brahmi or Jal-Brahami. I was knowing it since childhood as a brain
tonic, but it is used in Chutneys is something new for me. I cannot
try even, becoz I haven't found this plant in my vicinity for the last
so many years.

Thanks,

Dr. Nidhan Singh
Department of Botany
I.B. (PG) College
Panipat-132103 Haryana
Ph.: 09416371227

mani nair

Jan 8, 2011, 2:49:23 AM1/8/11
to Nidhan Singh, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Nidhan ji for the info. Yes it is known by the name Mandukparni.    The chutney made from Mandukparni is very tasty and especially given to children.   It is also an hair tonic.

Regards,

Mani.

tanay bose

Jan 8, 2011, 2:52:32 AM1/8/11
to Nidhan Singh, mani nair, indian...@googlegroups.com
Yes mani ji in bengal atleast B monnieri is called "Bhrami"
and C asiatica is called "Thankuni pata"
tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.