Fruits & Vegetables Week: Rheum rhabarbarm, Rhubarb a fruit that is not a fruit from Ritterhude

Na Bha

Jan 15, 2011, 10:49:37 AM1/15/11
to Gurcharan Singh, indian...@googlegroups.com
Here some fotos from my garden taken in may 2010.

Prof. Singh ji,
The leaves of this plan are NOT used as vegetable, as they contain  poisonous substances, including oxalic acid. Mainly the petioles are used to make jam and in cakes and desserts. Jam of rhubarb with strawberry is very popular. In may-june the rhubarb cake is sold and bought everywhere. After june the amount of oxalic acid in the plant increases and though there are quite a few petioles still coming out if the soil, we don't consume them anymore.
Because of the oxalic acid people with osteoporose are adviced not to eat Rhabarber.

In english wiki it says Rhubarb has been used for medical purposes by the Chinese for thousands of years.
In german Wiki I found, that originally it comes from Himalayan region.  So don't know the correct origin.

My information is a bit different than yours. Perhaps we are using different sources of information. But not using leaves, not after june etc. is practised here in germany and I suppose in other countries too.

In the first foto in the upper right corner the white flowers are of Garlic mustard (Alliaria petiolata)  german: Knoblauchsrauke.
Sending a foto in a different mail.

BTW. did i see a foto of अळू which looks similar to Rhabarber and everypart of it is used  as vegetable. Madhuri ji, remember अळूची भाजी, अळूच्या वड्या?
I don't remember to have seen a foto of अळू or perhaps missed it.

Regards
Nalini

Jan 15, 2011, 2:51:03 PM1/15/11
to Na Bha, Gurcharan Singh, indian...@googlegroups.com
Oh nice catch and lovely set of information
tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Katarina

Jan 17, 2011, 4:59:31 AM1/17/11
to efloraofindia
Please note that Rhubarb contains oxalic acid also in the petioles so
it is not recommended for people that have kidney problems.
There are now new garden cultivars that are almost oxalic free and
taste much sweeter than the old ones. You can use rhubarb during the
whole growing season but the spring growth is more vigorous and easier
to harvest than the few leaves that grow later in the season.

Katarina

On 15 Jan, 16:49, "Na Bha" <nabha-megh...@gmx.de> wrote:
> Here some fotos from my garden taken in may 2010.
>
> Prof. Singh ji,
> The leaves of this plan are NOT used as vegetable, as they contain  poisonous substances, including oxalic acid. Mainly the petioles are used to make jam and in cakes and desserts. Jam of rhubarb with strawberry is very popular. In may-june the rhubarb cake is sold and bought everywhere. After june the amount of oxalic acid in the plant increases and though there are quite a few petioles still coming out if the soil, we don't consume them anymore.
> Because of the oxalic acid people with osteoporose are adviced not to eat Rhabarber.
>
> In english wiki it says Rhubarb has been used for medical purposes by the Chinese for thousands of years.
> In german Wiki I found, that originally it comes from Himalayan region.  So don't know the correct origin.
>
> My information is a bit different than yours. Perhaps we are using different sources of information. But not using leaves, not after june etc. is practised here in germany and I suppose in other countries too.
>
> In the first foto in the upper right corner the white flowers are of Garlic mustard (Alliaria petiolata)  german: Knoblauchsrauke.
> Sending a foto in a different mail.
>
> BTW. did i see a foto of ??? which looks similar to Rhabarber and everypart of it is used  as vegetable. Madhuri ji, remember ????? ????, ??????? ??????
> I don't remember to have seen a foto of ??? or perhaps missed it.
>
> Regards
> Nalini

JM Garg

May 1, 2014, 3:14:10 AM5/1/14
to efloraofindia, Ritesh Kumar Choudhary, nabha meghani, katarina stenman, Gurcharan Singh
Flora of North America says "The name Rheum rhaponticum Linnaeus appears to have been misapplied widely to R. rhabarbarum in North America. Rheum rhaponticum, European rhubarb, is the only member of the genus confined to Europe. Rare in the wild but widely cultivated, it is a diploid (2n = 22); R. rhabarbarum is a tetraploid (B. Libert and R. Englund 1989). A chromosome count of 2n = 44 reported for R. rhaponticum from Wisconsin (N. A. Harriman 1981b) probably is from R. rhabarbarum. "

While Flora of China says Rheum rhabarbarum Linnaeus is cultivated in Europe.

In view, identity of this post may pl. be confirmed ?
100_6535-Rhabarber.JPG
100_6539-Rhabarber.JPG

Nabha Meghani

May 1, 2014, 6:14:10 AM5/1/14
to JM Garg, efloraofindia, Ritesh Kumar Choudhary, katarina stenman, Gurcharan Singh
Hallo to all.
I did not communicate for a long time because of lack of time. I am afraid, this will not change in the near foture. But I remember you all and your work, especially, now that the gardening season has started.

I think the fotos are from my garden.
As I am not a botanist, I cant "analyse" the Rhabarber I have in the garden.  We here exchange many plants with friends etc. They don't have any Tag, what the exact name of the Plant is. And most of the people differentiate between edible and non-edible. That applies to mushrooms too. That is why i am not able to answer mushrooms-queries either.

I can just say, this Rhabarber is cultivated in Germany. Though I am not sure, if another variety is also cultivated here. Sorry.

Nice to hear from you. Gargji, big respect to you and your work and to the group. Keep on!
Nalini

Gurcharan Singh

May 1, 2014, 10:43:06 AM5/1/14
to Nabha Meghani, JM Garg, efloraofindia, Ritesh Kumar Choudhary, katarina stenman
The right photograph at least is clearly

Rheum ×rhabarbarum L.

Petioles are commonly sold here in California. These are red and colour and eaten raw as fruit. We used to give this as an example of fruit which is not botanically a fruit in our teaching classes.

Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089

Nabha Meghani

May 2, 2014, 7:58:45 AM5/2/14
to Gurcharan Singh, JM Garg, efloraofindia, Ritesh Kumar Choudhary, katarina stenman
yes we eat here them raw or to make compote with strawberries, to cover the cake.
It is also one of the important RUMTOPF ingrediants. Rumtopf, I think, is typical german.
We start in April / may, until August different fruits are added, in Winter is the time to try it, sitting next to the fire.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rumtopf

Enjoy!
Nalini