ID request-050610-PKA1

Prashant awale

Jun 5, 2010, 5:57:34 AM6/5/10
to indiantreepix
Dear Friends,
Kindly help me in ID..

Date/Time: 05-06-2010/07:40AM
Location: Mumbai
Habitat: Wild
Plant Habit: Climber
(Photographs of Leaves, Stem and Fruit enclosed).
Flowers could not be seen
Fruits are globuse, 1.5cm (Approx) dia, red coloured.

regards
Prashant
IMG_7231.jpg
IMG_7243.jpg
IMG_7234.jpg
IMG_7232.jpg
IMG_7238.jpg
IMG_7242.jpg
IMG_7243.jpg

Satish Chile

Jun 5, 2010, 6:15:53 AM6/5/10
to Prashant awale, indiantreepix
Capparis sp. ?

Dr. Satish Kumar Chile

Neil Soares

Jun 5, 2010, 6:34:31 AM6/5/10
to Prashant awale, Satish Chile, indiantreepix
Hi Prashant,
  They are the fruit of Tinospora malabarica. Sending some of my photographs.
                      Regards,
                        Neil.

--- On Sat, 6/5/10, Satish Chile <chile...@gmail.com> wrote:
Tinospora malabarica fruiting.jpg
Tinospora malabarica fruit.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Jun 5, 2010, 6:46:23 AM6/5/10
to Neil Soares, Prashant awale, Satish Chile, indiantreepix
neil ji
You have unearthed an important species I was looking for a long time. The species seemed to be be badly confused in eFlora of Pakistan, and also not properly understood in eFlora of China. pubescent nature of leaves is clearly seen as also the larger size.  We already have T. cordifolia in our database. It would be an asset to have both species in our database. Sooner it goes to flowersofindia website also, the better.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Gurcharan Singh

Jun 5, 2010, 6:47:34 AM6/5/10
to Neil Soares, Prashant awale, Satish Chile, indiantreepix
Prashant ji
Thanks for sharing this plant.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Neil Soares

Jun 5, 2010, 7:22:51 AM6/5/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Prashant awale, Satish Chile, indiantreepix
Hi Prof. Singh,
  We have had a previous discussion on this plant. [You seem to have forgotten]. My photogrphs are already in the archives of this site. Anyway, am resending them.
                      Regards,
                        Neil Soares.

Neil Soares

Jun 5, 2010, 7:26:02 AM6/5/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Prashant awale, Satish Chile, indiantreepix
Sorry. The photographs.
                 N.

--- On Sat, 6/5/10, Neil Soares <drneil...@yahoo.com> wrote:
Tinospora malabarica 1.jpg
Tinospora malabarica 2.jpg
Tinospora malabarica 3.jpg
Tinospora malabarica 4.jpg
Tinospora malabarica 5.jpg
Tinospora malabarica 6.jpg

Rohit Patel

Jun 5, 2010, 7:28:47 AM6/5/10
to Neil Soares, Gurcharan Singh, Prashant awale, Satish Chile, indiantreepix
Can you all guide me how could i will make differ Tinospora cordifolia fro T. Malabarica ??????????/

please guide me

regards

Rohit
ROHITKUMAR M.PATEL
Asst. Project cordinator
(Grassland development)
AHKC unit,Sahjeevan
175, Jalaram Society,
Vijay Nagar
Bhuj Kachchh-  370001
Gujarat, India
www.sahjeevan.org
E-mail (2):-rohitpa...@yahoo.com
Mo.:- 09724337687

Prashant awale

Jun 5, 2010, 8:27:05 AM6/5/10
to Neil Soares, Gurcharan Singh, Satish Chile, indiantreepix
Thanks Neil ji, Gurcharan Singh ji for the ID.
Thanks Neil ji for sharing your set of  photographs of this sp.
 Here is a link i found for this sp..

http://envis.frlht.org.in/tsinensis.htm

regards
Prashant

tanay bose

Jun 5, 2010, 9:44:39 AM6/5/10
to Prashant awale, Neil Soares, Gurcharan Singh, Satish Chile, indiantreepix
Really good collection of photos I was also bit confused with the two species not clear to me
Tanay
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)
9830439691(Mobile)

R. Vijayasankar

Jun 5, 2010, 10:58:31 PM6/5/10
to indiatreepix, Prashant awale, Neil Soares, Gurcharan Singh, Satish Chile
Yes, it is Tinospora sinensis (= T. malabarica). Nice pictures!
We have published an article in Indian Forester on its distribution in Tamil nadu.
Its a Red Listed plant too.

With regards

R. Vijayasankar

Gurcharan Singh

Jun 6, 2010, 12:20:02 AM6/6/10
to R. Vijayasankar, indiatreepix, Prashant awale, Neil Soares, Satish Chile
Rohit ji
Here are some differences

T. cordifolia                                                                 T. sinensis (T. malabarica)
Shoots glabrous                                                          Shoots pubescent
Leaves glabrous                                                          Leaves pubescent above, tomentose beneath
Leaves 3-7 cm                                                            Leaves 10-15 cm long
Drupes red, 8 mm across                                            Drupes crimson, 1.2 cm across
Endocarp smooth                                                       Endocarp tubercled

What had caused confusion in my mind was eFlora of Pakistan which considers T. cordifolia auct. (particularly Hook.f. & Thoms, i.e. Flora of British India) to be T. malabarica,silently ignoring the features of T. malabarica. Flora of China considers T. malabarica to be synonym of T. chinensis and clearly mentions pubescent branches and leaves, larger leaves (7-14 cm x 5-13), semiovoid drupes (longer than broad) with tubercles.

After going though eFlora of Pakistan I have been watching my specimens in Delhi which belong to T. cordifolia, and never found any trace of pubescence. I also noted an interesting thing. The Specimens in Delhi, which grow in in natural Ridge forest have smaller leaves never more than 8 cm or so and do produce flowers and fruits, whereas the specimens in city on fences and trees may have leaves up to 15 cm or even more, and it is difficult to find flowers and fruits on them. I had uploaded my photographs some time back. I am attaching them again here for comparison.

Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Tinospora-2.jpg
Tinospora-3.jpg
Tinospora-4.jpg
Tinospora-aerial+roots.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Jun 6, 2010, 12:51:25 AM6/6/10
to R. Vijayasankar, indiatreepix, Prashant awale, Neil Soares, Satish Chile
Here are some more of T. cordifolia from Delhi, male and female flowers.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Tinospora-cordifolia-Male-22-3-Delhi-3.jpg
Tinospora-cordifolia-Male-22-3-Delhi-2.jpg
Tinospora-cordifolia-Female-22-3-Delhi-4a.jpg
Tinospora-cordifolia-Female-22-3-Delhi-4.jpg

Prashant awale

Jun 6, 2010, 1:52:38 AM6/6/10
to R. Vijayasankar, indiatreepix, Neil Soares, Gurcharan Singh, Satish Chile
Thanks Vijayasankar ji for validating ID.
regards
Prashant