"Solanaceae week"/06/04/2011/YRP/02/Chethalayam, Wayanad.De

Yazdy Palia

Apr 6, 2011, 1:27:20 AM4/6/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Friends, this is a small plant with small purple flowers around 8
mm in diameter, the fruit when mature is around 7 mm in diameter,
green in the beginning, orange colour when ripe and black when dried
up.
Could someone identify it please?
Regards
Yazdy.

You have been sent 6 pictures.

IMG_4789.JPG
IMG_4790.JPG
IMG_4791.JPG
IMG_4804.JPG
IMG_4805.JPG
IMG_4806.JPG

IMG_4789.JPG
IMG_4790.JPG
IMG_4791.JPG
IMG_4804.JPG
IMG_4805.JPG
IMG_4806.JPG

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 6, 2011, 8:02:20 AM4/6/11
to Yazdy Palia, indian...@googlegroups.com
Perhaps a few things Yazdy ji
Is it a herbaceous plant or woody shrub, and its height?
Are there any prickles on stem and/or leaves? (I can see one or two in second and last photograph)
Flowers occur singly or in clusters (of how many in majority of cases?), I can see the fruits in last but one photograph many in number on one stalk.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Yazdy Palia

Apr 6, 2011, 8:51:46 AM4/6/11
to Gurcharan Singh, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Dr. Gurcharan Singh Ji,
It is a woody shrub. The height varies from 2' to around 3.5'. The
flowers are in clusters. The fruits in clusters is evidence of that.
Prickles are present both on the stem as well as on the leaves. The
prickles are small ranging from 3 mm in length to around 8 mm in
length, they are thin and very sharp. Towards the tip of the tender
shoot, the prickles are small and dense, however along the rest of the
stem, they are between 18 mm apart to around 30 mm apart. Flowers
definitely occur in clusters, however there are a few flowers that
stand out in singles and twos.
Regards.
Yazdy.

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 6, 2011, 10:01:42 AM4/6/11
to Yazdy Palia, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Yazdy ji for such a detailed description.Who says you are not an expert? At least I won't believe.

My key takes me to Solanum anguivi

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Yazdy Palia

Apr 6, 2011, 10:16:46 AM4/6/11
to Gurcharan Singh, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Dr. Gurcharan Singh Ji. I consider myself a student only.
Regards
Yazdy.