130711 RV 1

renee vyas vyas

Jul 13, 2011, 11:11:50 AM7/13/11
to efloraofindia
Dear Friends,

Please help to id this plant......its a liana a woody climbers I saw today in north Mumbai near Film City.

Regards,

Renee
unid 1-a_1.JPG
unid 1-b_2.JPG
unid 1-c_3.JPG
unid 1-d_4.JPG
unid 1-e_5.JPG

Vijayasankar

Jul 13, 2011, 11:51:46 AM7/13/11
to renee vyas vyas, efloraofindia
It is Celastrus paniculatus, called as Jyotishmati in Sanskrit, a Red Listed medicinal plant.

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi

Nidhan Singh

Jul 14, 2011, 12:11:51 AM7/14/11
to Vijayasankar, renee vyas vyas, efloraofindia
Yes,
Celastrus paniculatus indeed.
--
Regards,

Dr. Nidhan Singh
Department of Botany
I.B. (PG) College
Panipat-132103 Haryana
Ph.: 09416371227

Smilax004

Jul 14, 2011, 4:54:51 AM7/14/11
to efloraofindia
Celastrus paniculatus of Celastraceae family.

Regards,
Giby
>  unid 1-a_1.JPG
> 269KViewDownload
>
>  unid 1-b_2.JPG
> 238KViewDownload
>
>  unid 1-c_3.JPG
> 262KViewDownload
>
>  unid 1-d_4.JPG
> 289KViewDownload
>
>  unid 1-e_5.JPG
> 217KViewDownload

renee vyas vyas

Jul 14, 2011, 11:13:52 AM7/14/11
to Smilax004, efloraofindia
Thank you all for the help,

regards,

Renee

H S

Jul 15, 2011, 3:35:03 AM7/15/11
to renee vyas vyas, Smilax004, efloraofindia
Yes Jyotish mati (Celastrus paniculatus) in Marathi Mal-kangani, Seed oil is used for increasing memory power, as the name jyotish mati, one drop of oil taken along with one cup of milk.

Plant is one of the 21 Ganesh patri (Used in Puja of Lord Ganesha)

regards,
--
 - H.S.

A scientific man ought to have no wishes, no affections, - a mere heart of stone

Chitralekha

Jul 15, 2011, 5:02:56 AM7/15/11
to efloraofindia
What is the sanskrit name of this plant (the one mentioned in the 21
Ganesh patri)?
Regars,
Chitralekha

On Jul 15, 12:35 pm, H S <hemsan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes Jyotish mati (Celastrus paniculatus) in Marathi Mal-kangani, Seed oil is
> used for increasing memory power, as the name jyotish mati, one drop of oil
> taken along with one cup of milk.
>
> Plant is one of the 21 Ganesh patri (Used in Puja of Lord Ganesha)
>
> regards,
>
> On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 8:13 AM, renee vyas vyas <reneevy...@gmail.com>wrote:
>

> > Thank you all for the help,
>
> > regards,
>
> > Renee
>
> >   On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 2:24 PM, Smilax004 <giby.kuriak...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> >> Celastrus paniculatus of Celastraceae family.
>
> >> Regards,
> >> Giby

> >> today

> --
>  - H.S.
>
> A scientific man ought to have no wishes, no affections, - a mere heart of
> stone- Hide quoted text -

Balkar Arya

Jul 17, 2011, 3:39:41 AM7/17/11
to Chitralekha, efloraofindia