Matheran orchid identification.

Jayesh Patil

Jul 10, 2011, 3:34:07 PM7/10/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Attached are photographs of a orchid taken at Matheran.

Location: Matheran (approx. 800m above sea level)
Date taken: 10 July 2011

Is this Malaxis versicolor?

Any help is highly appreciated.

- Jayesh
Orchid.jpg
Orchid2.jpg
Orchid3.jpg

shrikant ingalhalikar

Jul 10, 2011, 10:17:18 PM7/10/11
to efloraofindia
Yes, it is M. rheedii syn. M. versicolor. Regards, Shrikant

On Jul 11, 12:34 am, Jayesh Patil <jayesh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Attached are photographs of a orchid taken at Matheran.
>
> Location: Matheran (approx. 800m above sea level)
> Date taken: 10 July 2011
>
> Is this *Malaxis **versicolor*?
>
> Any help is highly appreciated.
>
> - Jayesh
>
>  Orchid.jpg
> 177KViewDownload
>
>  Orchid2.jpg
> 153KViewDownload
>
>  Orchid3.jpg
> 173KViewDownload

mani nair

Jul 13, 2011, 12:32:04 AM7/13/11
to shrikant ingalhalikar, efloraofindia
Hi Jayesh ji, beautiful orchid.  I am going to Matheran this month.  Which part of Matheran these flowers can be seen?

Regards,

Mani.

Rajesh Sachdev

Jul 13, 2011, 1:09:02 AM7/13/11
to mani nair, efloraofindia
I assume the plains on the hill slopes, with little of grass land is
prospective habitat for Orchid sightings. To be specific, the toy
train route (down town) and the trail from chowk point or one tree
point to Karjat would be a kind of.

--
Regards
Rajesh Sachdev

H S

Jul 16, 2011, 4:43:24 AM7/16/11
to Rajesh Sachdev, mani nair, efloraofindia
I suppose M. versicolor is correct name and not M. rheedii

regards,
--
 - H.S.

A scientific man ought to have no wishes, no affections, - a mere heart of stone