Wild plant for ID : 260411 : AK-3

Aarti S. Khale

Apr 26, 2011, 10:51:34 AM4/26/11
to efloraofindia
Taken near Dindori, Maharashtra at a farm on the 27th of Feb, 2011.
Tiny plant, flowers resembling that of Castor but the leaves were different.
Aarti
DSCN1441.JPG
DSCN1448.JPG

Dinesh Valke

Apr 26, 2011, 11:38:52 AM4/26/11
to Aarti S. Khale, efloraofindia
... possibly Chrozophora rottleri (syn. Croton rottleri) ... commonly known as: Rottler's chrozophora • Hindi: शदेवी shadevi • Kannada: ಲಿಮ್ಗಮೆಣಸು lingamenasu • Konkani: सुवर्ली survarli • Marathi: सुर्यवर्ती suryavarti • Nepalese: चोटकी हुङ्काथ chotaki hunkatath, सुर्यवर्त suryawarta • Sanskrit: सुर्यवर्त suryavarta • Telugu: ఎర్ర మిరియము erra miriyamu, గురుగుఛెట్టు guruguchettu, లింగమిరప linga mirapa

Please wait for validating comment(s).

Regards.
Dinesh

Nidhan Singh

Apr 26, 2011, 11:39:37 AM4/26/11
to Aarti S. Khale, efloraofindia
Hi,

This to me looks like Chrozophora plicata from Euphorbiaceae.

Regards,

Dr. Nidhan Singh
Department of Botany
I.B. (PG) College
Panipat-132103 Haryana
Ph.: 09416371227

Nidhan Singh

Apr 26, 2011, 11:46:34 AM4/26/11
to Aarti S. Khale, efloraofindia
Dinesh Ji,

Both of us incidentally clicked on the same plant at the same time.
Let us wait for other comments.
Regards,

Dinesh Valke

Apr 26, 2011, 12:04:31 PM4/26/11
to Nidhan Singh, Aarti S. Khale, efloraofindia
Nidhan ji ... am glad our views match to the genus level !!

... as far as exact species, some digging of flora may be involved:
1) Chrozophora rottleri is put as synonym of C. plicata at Flora of Pakistan [http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=5&taxon_id=250090883]
2) Chrozophora rottleri has synonyms: C. plicata var. rottleri, Croton rottleri at The Plant List [http://www.theplantlist.org/tpl/record/kew-39832]
(have not taken care of author citations).

Regards,
Dinesh

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 26, 2011, 12:43:17 PM4/26/11
to Dinesh Valke, Nidhan Singh, Aarti S. Khale, efloraofindia
Dinesh ji
As per KEW Plant list Chrozophora rottleri and C. plicata are two distinct species. The true C. rottleri to my mind is one displayed at FOI website with non-pleated leaves and white flowers whereas the above plant, and one I had uploaded a few days back clearly pleated (plicate ) leaves and smaller pink flowers, characteristic of C. plicata..

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

tanay bose

Apr 26, 2011, 2:47:34 PM4/26/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Dinesh Valke, Nidhan Singh, Aarti S. Khale, efloraofindia
I think this is Chrozophora plicata very common weed in Bengal
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Aarti S. Khale

Apr 27, 2011, 12:54:18 AM4/27/11
to tanay bose, Gurcharan Singh, Dinesh Valke, Nidhan Singh, efloraofindia
Dear Gurcharan ji, Nidhan ji, Dinesh ji and Tanay,
Thanks for the id.
Regards,
Aarti

On 4/26/11, tanay bose <tanay...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think this is Chrozophora plicata very common weed in Bengal
> Tanay
>
> On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 9:43 AM, Gurcharan Singh <sing...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Dinesh ji
>> As per KEW Plant list Chrozophora rottleri and C. plicata are two distinct
>> species. The true C. rottleri to my mind is one displayed at FOI website
>> with non-pleated leaves and white flowers whereas the above plant, and one
>> had uploaded a few days back clearly pleated (plicate ) leaves and smaller
>> pink flowers, characteristic of C. plicata..
>>

>> --
>> Dr. Gurcharan Singh
>> Retired Associate Professor
>> SGTB Khalsa College, University of Delhi, Delhi-110007
>> Res: 932 Anand Kunj, Vikas Puri, New Delhi-110018.
>> Phone: 011-25518297 Mob: 9810359089
>> http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/
>>

>> On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 9:34 PM, Dinesh Valke
>> <dinesh...@gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> Nidhan ji ... am glad our views match to the genus level !!
>>>

>>> ... as far as exact species, some digging of flora may be involved:*
>>> *1) *Chrozophora * *rottleri* is put as synonym of *C. plicata* at Flora
>>> of Pakistan [
>>> http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=5&taxon_id=250090883]
>>> 2) *Chrozophora rottleri* has synonyms: *C. plicata* var. *rottleri*,
>>> *Croton
>>> rottleri* at The Plant List [

>>> http://www.theplantlist.org/tpl/record/kew-39832]
>>> (have not taken care of author citations).
>>>

>>> Regards,
>>> Dinesh

> --

> *Tanay Bose*

> Research Assistant & Teaching Assistant.
> Department of Botany.
> University of British Columbia .
> 3529-6270 University Blvd.
> Vancouver, B.C. V6T 1Z4 (Canada)
> Phone: 778-323-4036 (Mobile)
> 604-822-2019 (Lab)
> 604-822-6089 (Fax)
> ta...@interchange.ubc.ca

> *Webpages:*

H S

Apr 30, 2011, 7:01:13 AM4/30/11
to Aarti S. Khale, tanay bose, Gurcharan Singh, Dinesh Valke, Nidhan Singh, efloraofindia
In Maharashtra 2 species of Chrozophora are found,, the foto is of Chrozophora prostrata Dalz. & Gibs. syn. C. plicata Spreng.

and not C. rottleri syn. C. plicatum Voight.

--
 - H.S.

A scientific man ought to have no wishes, no affections, - a mere heart of stone

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 30, 2011, 8:17:00 AM4/30/11
to H S, Aarti S. Khale, tanay bose, Dinesh Valke, Nidhan Singh, efloraofindia
Dear H S
Again reverse
C. prostrata Dalz. & Gibs is synonym of C. plicata (Vahl) A. Juss. ex Spreng  according to recent databases

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

J.M. Garg

Nov 17, 2013, 7:28:51 AM11/17/13
to efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh, H S, Aarti S. Khale, Dinesh Valke, Nambiyath Balakrishnan
A reply in another thread:
"The real Chrozophora plicata (Vahl) A.Juss. ex Spreng. does not occur in India. It is confined to Africa and Middle East. What is given as C. plicata in Indian floras are now known as Chrozophora rottleri (Geisl.) A.Juss. ex Spreng.
N.P.Balakrishnan, 17 Nov. 2013"

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

J.M. Garg

Nov 17, 2013, 7:47:10 AM11/17/13
to efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh, H S, Aarti S. Khale, Dinesh Valke, Nambiyath Balakrishnan
A reply:
"Yes, this is Chrozophora rottleri (Geisl.) A.Juss. ex Spreng.
N.P.Balakrishnan, 17 Nov. 2013"

Aarti S. Khale

Nov 17, 2013, 8:33:26 AM11/17/13
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh, H S, Dinesh Valke, Nambiyath Balakrishnan
Balakrishnan ji, Garg ji,
Thanks for confirming the id.
Regards,
Aarti

Tapas Chakrabarty

Nov 17, 2013, 9:20:25 AM11/17/13
to Aarti S. Khale, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh, H S, Dinesh Valke, Nambiyath Balakrishnan
I have sent the message to Dr. Balakrishnan for confirmation.  Result is awaited.  But it is the commonest species, C. rottleri.
Tapas.