Fruits and Vegetables Week: Citrus maxima, pomelo or shaddok

Gurcharan Singh

Jan 10, 2011, 1:28:55 AM1/10/11
to efloraofindia
Citrus maxima (syn: C. grandis), pomelo or shaddok, largest citrus fruit often reaching 25 cm in diameter, and green to pale yellow in colour when ripe, with sweet white (or, more rarely, pink or red) flesh and very thick pudgy rind. It is also known as pummelo, pommelo, Chinese grapefruit, jabong,lusho fruit, pompelmous. Very common in USA, also grown to limited level in India, photographed from Herbal Garden, Delhi and also from California.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Citrus-maxima-Delhi-1.jpg
Citrus-maxima-Delhi-2.jpg
Citrus-maxima-Delhi-3.jpg
Citrus-maxima-Delhi-4.jpg
Citrus-maxima-pomelo-California-1.jpg
Citrus-maxima-Pumello-California-1.jpg
Citrus-maxima-Pumello-California-2.jpg

Yazdy Palia

Jan 10, 2011, 7:08:05 AM1/10/11
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Dear Dr. Gurcharan Singh ji,
Some of the pictures look like the sweetlime or Mosambi. Interesting
that the Pomelo there are so small. Though the first picture and the
flowers are definitely looking like the Pomelo at my place. Thank you
for sharing.
Regards
Yazdy.

Gurcharan Singh

Jan 10, 2011, 9:12:10 AM1/10/11
to Yazdy Palia, efloraofindia
Yazdy ji
The first four photographs are from the same tree in Herbal Garden at Delhi. The first fruit from California looks similar to the one from Delhi, although the other two from California look different in texture of the rind.

Here are some Indian names of the fruit:

Hindi & Bengali: Chakotra, mahanibu, sadaphal
Guj: Obakotru
Mar: pains, papnasa
Mal: Pamparamasam
Kan: Chakotre, Sakkota
Tam: Pambalimasu
Tel: Pampalamasam

tanay bose

Jan 10, 2011, 10:07:01 AM1/10/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Yazdy Palia, efloraofindia
This is also called sweet lime but I am not sure
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Jency Samuel

Jan 11, 2011, 8:46:10 AM1/11/11
to Gurcharan Singh, tanay bose, Yazdy Palia, efloraofindia
What we call 'pamblimas' in Tamil is not sweet lime. Musambi is sweet lime (chaathukudi in Tamil). But now I am confused as to which Citrus sp. is pamblimas and which is sweet lime. May be Muthu / Mr Vijay can help me out with the pamblimas name!

Gurcharan Singh

Jan 11, 2011, 9:45:25 AM1/11/11
to Jency Samuel, tanay bose, Yazdy Palia, efloraofindia
Jency ji
I am not as familiar with all Citrus species, but luckily I have the book Useful Plants of India by CSIR. According to this Tamil name Pambalimasu and Telugu Pampalamasam both belong to C. maxima, the pomello or shaddock

Sweet lime is a different plant Citrus limettoides Tanaka. Tamil name for this is Kolumichangai, Telugu Gajanimma or nemumapandu.

I hope that solves some confusion.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Jency Samuel

Jan 11, 2011, 10:42:20 AM1/11/11
to Gurcharan Singh, tanay bose, Yazdy Palia, efloraofindia

Thank you Dr G.That solves the confusion about C. maxima.

But I don't know the Tamil name of sweet lime you have given :-(
 I know about elumichangai and kodielumichangai, but not of kolumichangai. May be the name has been hybridised!! (Could actually be a dialect that I don't know)

Jency
Chennai

Yazdy Palia

Jan 13, 2011, 12:58:11 PM1/13/11
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Dear Dr. Gurcharan Singh Ji, Many thanks for correcting me. Texture of
rind and size. I was confused because of he size and the texture.
Thank you once again.
Regards
Yazdy.

Gurcharan Singh

Jan 13, 2011, 8:52:51 PM1/13/11
to Yazdy Palia, Jency Samuel, efloraofindia
Jency ji
The local names can often confusing at times, useful at others. The closest I could find elumichai in Tamil for C. autarantifolia, what we call kaghzi nimbu in Hindi, Nimma in Telugu, Limbe in Kanad, Erumichinarakam.
May be this helps