succulent plant mm3 25062011

Mohina Macker

Jun 25, 2011, 2:58:24 AM6/25/11
to efloraofindia
These photographs were taken in july 2008 during a trip to ladakh.
This particular flower is from Nubra valley, growing very close to tanglangla which is the highest pass in the world
Would really appreciate an id
regards
mohina macker

amit chauhan

Jun 25, 2011, 3:17:58 AM6/25/11
to Mohina Macker, efloraofindia
photo???????

--
Dr. Amit Chauhan
Junior Technical Assistant

Mohina Macker

Jun 25, 2011, 5:53:05 AM6/25/11
to amit chauhan, efloraofindia

this time with the photograph
IMG_0499 ab.jpg

amit chauhan

Jun 25, 2011, 6:25:33 AM6/25/11
to Mohina Macker, efloraofindia
Rhodiola sp. may be tibetica ?

regards

On 6/25/11, Mohina Macker <mohina...@gmail.com> wrote:

> this time with the photograph

J.M. Garg

Sep 24, 2011, 4:47:05 AM9/24/11
to efloraofindia, mohina...@gmail.com, sing...@gmail.com, tab...@gmail.com, amit...@gmail.com, prajn...@gmail.com, aadilsh...@gmail.com, mithuc...@gmail.com

Some earlier relevant feedback:

“These photographs were taken in july 2008 during a trip to ladakh.

This particular flower is from Nubra valley, growing very close to tanglangla which is the highest pass in the world
Would really appreciate an id
regards

mohina macker ”

“Rhodiola sp. may be tibetica ?” from Amit ji.

Nov 6, 2016, 1:38:25 AM11/6/16
to efloraofindia, Mohina Macker, amit chauhan
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- around 2700 members & 2,40,000 messages on 31.3.16) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 11,000 species & 2,20,000 images).

IMG_0499 ab.jpg

C CHADWELL

Nov 6, 2016, 7:55:12 AM11/6/16
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Mohina Macker, amit chauhan
The succulent plant is a Rhodiola but I am not familiar enough with the genus in Ladakh to
be certain from foliage alone - especially a single, non-close-up shot.

IF an Indian botanist had collected a pressed specimen of this - it has no flowers or fruit and
had sent to a major herbarium in the UK such as Kew, the specimen would have been discarded
as "sterile".

It may be that in the future as my familiarity with the genus in Ladakh improves, I will be
in a position to name the plant but at present cannot justify devoting any time to attempting to
identify it.

Whilst I make the point of requesting that images of foliage are included as well as those of
a plant's flowers or fruit, leaves alone, especially not in close-up are often of limited value - though
it may be that this species is abundant on the pass mentioned in Nubra.

It is possible that it may prove to be the species suggested but as I am not certain about this species even when
in flower or fruit, would not wish to speculate from leaves alone.

Will let you know when I am clearer.

If by chance this group has a Rhodiola expert who knows with confidence what this is, please speak up - I
would be delighted to send them images of Rhodiolas from the region I am presently unsure about for their
thoughts.

Best Wishes,

Chris Chadwell

81 Parlaunt Road
SLOUGH
SL3 8BE
UK

The whole world uses my Image Resource of more than a thousand species & eight thousand images of Birds, Butterflies, Plants etc. (arranged alphabetically & place-wise): http://commons.wikimedia.org/ wiki/Category:J.M.Garg. You can also use them for free as per Creative Commons license attached with each image.