Baobab

Padmini Raghavan

Jul 6, 2010, 2:25:15 PM7/6/10
to indiantreepix
Dear Gargji,
I hope some of these pics are useful.

 A huge Baobab tree at Chennai.
Pics taken on 3-7-2010.
Rgds,
Padmini Raghavan.
Baobab 005.jpg
Baobab 012.jpg
Baobab 017.jpg
Baobab 020.jpg
Baobab 021.jpg
Baobab 024.jpg
Baobab 026.jpg
Baobab 027.jpg

tanay bose

Jul 6, 2010, 11:46:46 PM7/6/10
to Padmini Raghavan, indiantreepix
Nice catch of Adansonia digitata L. commonly known as "Parijat"
tanay

Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)
9830439691(Mobile)

mani nair

Jul 7, 2010, 1:29:25 AM7/7/10
to tanay bose, Padmini Raghavan, indiantreepix
Padminiji, nice photos.   This is a rare tree in Mumbai.   Tanay ji, first time I am hearing that this flower is also called Parijat.  I thought only Harshinghar flower (Nyctanthes arbortristis) is known by Parijat.

Regards,

Mani.

Rashida Atthar

Jul 7, 2010, 1:36:50 AM7/7/10
to mani nair, tanay bose, Padmini Raghavan, indiantreepix
Mani ji  in Mumbai this tree is seen at some places. Two majestic trees  at Rani baug near the entrance to the main gardens, one old and huge one opposite Bhabha Hospital at Bandra, one at Marol , we saw one at a private garden recently and few other places.

regards,
Rashida.

Dinesh Valke

Jul 7, 2010, 1:45:33 AM7/7/10
to Rashida Atthar, mani nair, tanay bose, Padmini Raghavan, indiantreepix
... in and around Thane, found in a few places ... assume these were introduced by the British and Portuguese.
Regards.

mani nair

Jul 7, 2010, 2:08:40 AM7/7/10
to Dinesh Valke, Rashida Atthar, tanay bose, Padmini Raghavan, indiantreepix
Dear Dineshji, It was introduced by the Muslim Traders from Africa.

Regards,

Mani.

mani nair

Jul 7, 2010, 2:16:51 AM7/7/10
to Dinesh Valke, Rashida Atthar, tanay bose, Padmini Raghavan, indiantreepix
Thanks Rashida ji for the info.  I have seen the trees at Ranibaug, but the others I will see when I go that side.

Regards,

Mani.

Dinesh Valke

Jul 7, 2010, 2:29:24 AM7/7/10
to mani nair, Rashida Atthar, tanay bose, Padmini Raghavan, indiantreepix
... would agree to your info, Mani ji.
Based my view on finding baobabs at Vasai fort.

Regards.

Swagat

Jul 7, 2010, 3:13:40 AM7/7/10
to Dinesh Valke, mani nair, Rashida Atthar, tanay bose, Padmini Raghavan, indiantreepix
Dear all,

It is called 'Gorakhchinch' 'गोरखचिंच' in Marathi.
It is related to 'Guru Gorakhnath' गोरखनाथ' from famous Nath Sampraday 'नाथ संप्रदाय' (Nine Naths & 84 Sidhdas)

Some say he was born in 8th Centuary, some say 11th or 12 centuary.
It says that 'Guru Goraknath' and all other Naths were using Bowls made from the Fruit of 'गोरखचिंच' 'Baobab Tree'.

He traveled widely across the Indian subcontinent, and accounts about him are found in some forms or others several places including Afghanistan, Baluchistan, Punjab, Sindh, Uttar Pradesh, Nepal, Assam, Bengal, Maharashtra, Karnataka and even Sri Lanka.

It means we can say 'Baobab Tree' 'गोरखचिंच' is known in India from atleast 11th centuary.

Regards,

~Swagat
9223217568 / 9422317979

mani nair

Jul 7, 2010, 3:36:46 AM7/7/10
to Swagat, Dinesh Valke, Rashida Atthar, tanay bose, Padmini Raghavan, indiantreepix
Thanks Swagat ji for this useful information.

Regards,

Mani.

shubhada nikharge

Jul 7, 2010, 4:44:58 AM7/7/10
to Rashida Atthar, mani nair, tanay bose, Padmini Raghavan, indiantreepix
It is in Aarey Colony, Goregaon (E), one more in Bombay Port Trust garden at Colaba too.
Cheers,
Shubhada

"I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; I will not refuse to do the something I can do."

Jul 8, 2010, 1:51:32 AM7/8/10
to indiantreepix

Jul 8, 2010, 2:40:51 AM7/8/10
to Swagat, indiantreepix
If I remember it correctly, this plant was discussed on this group on the basis of photograph on postal stamp, wherein Adansonia digitata was labelled as Parijat, and Tanay is correct in that respect.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

tanay bose

Jul 8, 2010, 8:22:25 AM7/8/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Swagat, indiantreepix
The Stamp photo of Parijat and discussion was initiated by Sibdas Ji.
Tanay

promila chaturvedi

Jul 8, 2010, 8:32:07 AM7/8/10
to tanay bose, Gurcharan Singh, Swagat, indiantreepix
Yes, this plant was discussed previously in connection of Krishna, Rukmini and Parijat tree.
Promila

Anand Kumar Bhatt

Jul 8, 2010, 10:21:38 AM7/8/10
to promila chaturvedi, tanay bose, Gurcharan Singh, Swagat, indiantreepix
Pramilaji is right. I remember my participation and Naliniji's addition to it. Parijat came out of the churning of the sea by devs and asuras according to Hindu mythology, and Indra had taken it first, and later by Krishna;
ak
--
Anand Kumar Bhatt
A-59, B.S.F.Colony, Airport Road

Anand Kumar Bhatt

Jul 8, 2010, 10:33:52 AM7/8/10
to promila chaturvedi, tanay bose, Gurcharan Singh, Swagat, indiantreepix
That discussion of parijat or Harsingar was of course for Nyctanthes arbor-tristis.(whaatever the spelling!)
ak
ak

Dr. Pankaj Kumar

Jul 11, 2010, 7:07:00 AM7/11/10
to efloraofindia
The issue of what actually Parijaat Tree is was never resolved. Here
are the list of species which are being talked about. I personally own
the stamp of Adansonia paintings on it....but that doesnt qualify it
to be Parijaat tree......
Other qualifiers are:
Cocos nucifera
Ficus benghalensis
Ficus relgiosa
Nyctanthes arbor-tristis...
and may be many more....
Adansonia digitata is the one which doesnt qualify at all....WHY????
Just because it was introduced by Britishers and may be Portuguese
which happened much later than the actual origin of the vedas where
the first mention of Parijaat tree comes..... One many of the ancient
engraving which shows kalpavriksha or the Parijaat tree on rocks and
caves in temples across many places in India and abroad, sometimes
depicts a climber. Even if it does show a tree, it never shows a
palmate leaf.
I wish someone really does some sincere work on this and come out with
good results.
Regards
Pankaj

Shiva.N. Kumar

Dec 13, 2010, 4:26:01 AM12/13/10
to Padmini Raghavan, shiva.a...@gmail.com, indiantreepix
Dear padmini
checked out the PIX of Baobab tree you posted...
sometime ago....
can you tell me the precise location....not very
conversant with the layout of "madras"
and
also....there are some more of the BIG baobab trees
in Madras....with your friends, relatives and colleagues
can you locate them for me...!!!!
As i am on a "hunting" spree for Baobab trees in India.
Hoping to make checklist of the authentic locations
of Baobabs....my favourite tree.

Mr.Garg has been very helpful in this regard.

Last month i found one in the island of DIU....

Cheers.
N.Shiva Kumar, NOIDA, (national capital region) DELHI.

mani nair

Dec 13, 2010, 5:10:38 AM12/13/10
to Shiva.N. Kumar, Padmini Raghavan, shiva.a...@gmail.com, indiantreepix
Dear Shiva ji,  I have seen number of Baobab trees in Mandu in Madha Pradesh.
Near to me there are some trees in Jijamata Bhosle Udyan (Victoria Gardens), Byculla, Mumbai.

Regards,

Mani.

Pankaj Kumar

Dec 13, 2010, 5:16:05 AM12/13/10
to mani nair, Shiva.N. Kumar, Padmini Raghavan, shiva.a...@gmail.com, indiantreepix
There are supposed to be three in Ranchi and may be one in Bhagalpur
and many in Maharastra.
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate