Flowers of Lagerstroemia indica

Mohan V. Chunkath

Jul 24, 2011, 1:33:36 PM7/24/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Friends,
Posting flowers of Lagerstroemia indica L. Photographed on 24th July,
2011 in Besant Nagar, Chennai, Tamil Nadu. Small to medium sized
garden tree.
Cheers,
Mohan Chunkath
5969209051_3d599bf338_o.jpg

shrikant ingalhalikar

Jul 25, 2011, 1:12:42 AM7/25/11
to efloraofindia
Had you given the size of flowers, it would have been easy to confirm
the ID. They appear to be about 6 cm wide and would be L. reginae. The
other sp. L. indica has flowers about 2 cm only, petals are clawed and
they are in dense panicles. Regards, Shrikant

On Jul 24, 10:33 pm, "Mohan V. Chunkath" <mohan.chunk...@gmail.com>
wrote:
>  5969209051_3d599bf338_o.jpg
> 509KViewDownload

hari lal

Jul 25, 2011, 1:18:51 AM7/25/11
to shrikant ingalhalikar, efloraofindia
it may be Lagerstroemia indica L pls give a complete twing photo
clearly showing leaves and infloresence.

--
HARI SHANKAR LAL
AT-SHIV KUTIR

mchunkat

Jul 25, 2011, 4:43:55 AM7/25/11
to efloraofindia
I am afraid I do not have any more photographs showing the leaves. The
flowers were only about 2 cm in size. Thanks.
Regards,
Mohan
> EMAIL-taxo....@gmail.com

promila chaturvedi

Jul 25, 2011, 9:03:23 AM7/25/11
to mchunkat, efloraofindia
I think it is Lagerstroemia flos-reginae.
Promila

Mohan V. Chunkath

Jul 25, 2011, 11:15:37 AM7/25/11
to promila chaturvedi, efloraofindia
The flowers are much bigger for L. speciosa (the now valid name for L.
flos-reginae). Thanks.
Regards,
Mohan

On 25 July 2011 18:33, promila chaturvedi

Neil Soares

Jul 25, 2011, 1:02:59 PM7/25/11
to efloraofindia, mchunkat
Hi,
 Agree with Mr.Ingalhalikar. These seem to be the flowers of L.speciosa. Sending my photographs L.speciosa flowers for comparison in a separate mail.
                        With regards,
                          Neil Soares.

Mohan V. Chunkath

Jul 25, 2011, 1:42:41 PM7/25/11
to Neil Soares, efloraofindia
Dear Neil,
Looks like I was mistakenly placing too much emphasis on flower size and density of flowers on the flowering panicle. Superficially it looked quite different from L. speciosa I had photographed earlier in Adyar Theosophical Society Gardens. Thank you and others for correcting me. Am attaching the photograph which I had earlier identified as L. speciosa to this mail.
5739166928_a13030627b_o.jpg