Fragaria vesca from Kashmir

Gurcharan Singh

Aug 5, 2010, 3:01:39 AM8/5/10
to efloraofindia, Flowers of India
Fragaria vesca from Kashmir, generally growing at lower altitudes, separable from high altitude species F. nubicola in its spreading pubescence and elongated fruit, larger leaves and flowers. Photographed from Tangmarg on June 19, 2010.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Fragaria-vesca-Kashmir-a.jpg
Fragaria-vesca-Kashmir-b.jpg
Fragaria-vesca-Kashmir-c.jpg

tanay bose

Aug 5, 2010, 3:54:07 AM8/5/10
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, Flowers of India
Nice catch of the alpine strawberry
tanay

--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)

Gurcharan Singh

Jan 11, 2011, 7:54:00 AM1/11/11
to efloraofindia

Gurcharan Singh

Jan 11, 2011, 7:58:25 AM1/11/11
to efloraofindia
Attaching now

Fruits are delicious and eaten raw.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Fragaria-vesca-Kashmir-a.jpg
Fragaria-vesca-Kashmir-b.jpg
Fragaria-vesca-Kashmir-c.jpg

Anandi Sharan

Jan 11, 2011, 8:00:48 AM1/11/11
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
no idea what fragaria vesca is but i recognise this from my childhood
in switzerland and it surely is the flower of a woodland strawberry !
thanks for the lovely photo :)

--
----

Gurcharan Singh

Jan 11, 2011, 8:03:31 AM1/11/11
to Anandi Sharan, efloraofindia
Anandi ji
You are absolutely right. A very common plant on mountain slopes of temperate and subalpine regions.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Anandi Sharan

Jan 11, 2011, 8:15:52 AM1/11/11
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
gurcharanji

thanks also for giving me the opportunity of revisiting that feeling
of "i know this" I know this". ! :)

i am not sure i will ever travel again to collect a photo of such a
lovely plant though... let alone pluck the strawberry itself --
every emission of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere is associated
with loss of species as they cannot move fast enough to keep up with
increased warming -- one is simply in awe of the immense diversity of
species as it evolved over the millenia years -- we were truely a
lucky generation to have the opportunity to witness this magnificence.

green greetings.
anandi

--
----

tanay bose

Jan 11, 2011, 8:39:58 AM1/11/11
to Anandi Sharan, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
This indeed Fragaria vesca woodland strawberry !!
I have also seen them in eastern himalayas
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Anandi Sharan

Jan 11, 2011, 8:56:56 AM1/11/11
to Gurcharan Singh, tanay...@gmail.com, efloraofindia
referring to "separable from high altitude species F. nubicola in its
spreading pubescence and
elongated fruit" -- there were definitely two distinct types even in
the low parts of switz where i remember them from - it must be F.
vesca then that has the beautiful conical fruit, sweeter than the
elongated one -- and the birds and snails always quick to get to them
- the elongated ones always seemed a bit harder and left alone by the
competition -- probably because they never seemed to be really ripe.
but i do not have any photos of either :)
really amazing that these alpine plants are found in all places where
conditions are similar. well. i guess natural and a matter of fact for
botanists. wonderful to think about for us civilians. :) and even more
wonderful still for anyone who can find and eat one ! :)

--
----