Fwd: WILD FLOWER ID

J.M. Garg

Feb 22, 2011, 7:04:23 AM2/22/11
to efloraofindia, vikram jit singh

Forwarding for Id assistance please.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: vikram jit singh <vikramji...@gmail.com>
Date: 22 February 2011 11:35
Subject: WILD FLOWER ID
To: "J.M. Garg" <jmg...@gmail.com>

Dear Mr Garg,

I wanted to seek ur expertise on the identity of a wild purple flower which grows in clumps in the lower Shiwalik foothills. It is very common and gives of a exotic odour. I am attaching a pix. Could u tell me the name and something about this flower.

Regards,

Vikram.

(Vikram Jit Singh)

Golf Columnist and Wildlife Correspondent:

The Times of India

at Chandigarh.

Columnist and Writer for:

The Dainik Bhaskar

Golf Style (India)

The Tribune

The Daily Ajit

215, Sector 19 A,
Chandigarh -- 160019,
India.

0172-2724938
09814019356.

Facebook Profile:

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Google e-group- Efloraofindia:http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix or https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/ (more than 1500 members & 60,000 messages on 15/1/11 & with a database of around 4500 species on 15/12/10)

sukhnalake 506.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Feb 22, 2011, 7:21:31 AM2/22/11
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, vikram jit singh
It is  a distant shot but it looks like Ageratum conyzoides of family Asteraceae

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Pankaj Kumar

Feb 22, 2011, 7:26:58 AM2/22/11
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, vikram jit singh
Looks like Ageratum to me.
Pankaj

On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 5:34 PM, J.M. Garg <jmg...@gmail.com> wrote:

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

Neil Soares

Feb 22, 2011, 8:10:33 AM2/22/11
to J.M. Garg, Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia, vikram jit singh
Hi,
 Agree with Dr. Pankaj. This is an invasive weed - the Mexican Floss Flower [Ageratum houstonianum] a native of Peru & Mexico.
                  With regards,
                    Neil Soares.

Gurcharan Singh

Feb 22, 2011, 9:32:40 AM2/22/11
to Neil Soares, J.M. Garg, Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia, vikram jit singh
Yes A. houstonianum is a better choice. I was under the impression that this is commonly a cultivated species, never thought it could become an invasive weed.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Dr Pankaj Kumar

Feb 22, 2011, 10:25:13 AM2/22/11
to efloraofindia
Yes Vikram sir,
this is EXOTIC, meaning not a native plant and INVASIVE, which
basically means, it has the ability to suppress the indigenous
vegetation of an area and multiply itself and a WEED, which basically
means, it is an unwanted plant.
Regards
Pankaj

vikram jit singh