Acanthaceae Week Scarlet Clock Vine Thunbergia coccinea ,

raghu ananth

Jun 11, 2011, 4:30:42 AM6/11/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Acanthaceae Week  Scarlet Clock Vine Thunbergia coccinea ,
Acanthaceae
Native Climber 9 Jan 2011
Wayanad, Kerala

Regards
Raghu

DSC_1090b.jpg
DSC_1091b.jpg
DSC_1092c.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Jun 11, 2011, 5:15:55 AM6/11/11
to raghu ananth, indian...@googlegroups.com
I think not the first one, which is a perhaps Justicia lutea

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

raghu ananth

Jun 11, 2011, 6:07:52 AM6/11/11
to Gurcharan Singh, indian...@googlegroups.com

Pls ignore the first attachment.

Thanks.,

Raghu

Jun 11, 2011, 7:48:45 AM6/11/11
to efloraofindia
The photographs (2) and (3) look more like Thumbergia mysorensis.
(Reference : toptropicals.com).
>  DSC_1090b.jpg
> 237KViewDownload
>
>  DSC_1091b.jpg
> 200KViewDownload
>
>  DSC_1092c.jpg
> 259KViewDownload

Ushadi micromini

Jun 11, 2011, 10:30:54 PM6/11/11
to efloraofindia
Does not look like Thumbergia mysorensis...
the color is different and the lip anatomy is different...

Its thumbergia alright , BUT not mysorensis... some other ... or a
vareital....???
I have been observing these flowers for last thirty - forty years in
various botanical gardens outside India... their colors and anatomy is
a little different than the picture above......

WHat would be helpful if some one has seen them and photographed them
in the wild in the western ghats????

Usha di
=========

Gurcharan Singh

Jun 11, 2011, 10:50:51 PM6/11/11
to Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
Ushadi ji
You are right, it can't be T. mysorensis

But second and third photographs i think belong to T. coccinea, as suggested by Raghu ji

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Ushadi micromini

Jun 12, 2011, 2:58:37 AM6/12/11
to efloraofindia

i was responding to mr /dr Mahadeswara' comment,

sorry was not too explicit....

was not picking on raghu ji
usha di

=====

On Jun 12, 7:50 am, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ushadi ji
> You are right, it can't be T. mysorensis
>
> But second and third photographs i think belong to T. coccinea, as suggested
> by Raghu ji
>
> --
> Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> Retired  Associate Professor
>
> On Sun, Jun 12, 2011 at 8:00 AM, Ushadi micromini <microminipho...@gmail.com

Vijayasankar

Jun 12, 2011, 2:34:02 PM6/12/11
to Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
Attaching my pics of T. coccinia, taken at Manipur.

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi
thunbergia coccinia_1.JPG