Malvaceae week 0905- 9112011 UD 024 Brachichiton acerifolius

ushadi Micromini

Sep 11, 2011, 2:51:58 PM9/11/11
to efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh, Balkar Arya

Malvaceae week 0905 9112011 UD 024 Brachichiton acerifolius

Dear All:

Family: Malvaceae

Genus:                 Brachychiton

Species:               B. acerifolius

This also called Illawarra flame tree, is from Australia,

But I found it in Sandiego, Souther California , driving past  park… could stop only for a few seconds… and grabbed these pictures… came home took me a while to track down what it was.. this intensely crimson tree is not so common…  looking through images of hundreds of red flowered tree yielded results…   it’s a Brachychiton acerifolius…  the story ended there, I had a beautiful curiosity on my hands, so what… but then I joined eflora … and one day Mr Raman submitted one to ID from Bangalore… lo   !!!!   And he even sent me some seeds.. I have planted 6 of these , will update when I have something to show …

In the mean  time the thread that helped me /us to see that it also grows in India is here: http://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/f03d01e57c2c8baf/6d2edcf81d8b4801?#6d2edcf81d8b4801

Even in Australia I have been told that its widely cultivated… in parks….and in San Diego does not seem to have been invasive so far… not seen any reports to suggest it is..

Enjoy

Usha di

1 Brachychiton acerifoliu Red flowers flame tree San diego 08 (1) cropped tight small.jpg
2 Brachychiton acerifoliu Red flowers flame tree San diego 08 (4) sm crp TRUNK SEEDPODS and FLOwers.jpg
3Brachychiton acerifoliu Red flowers flame tree San diego 08 (7) INTENSE red.jpg
4 Brachychiton acerifoliu Red flowers flame tree San diego 08 (9) flowers sideview small.jpg
5 Brachychiton acerifoliu Red flowers flame tree San diego 08 (8) face front.jpg
6 Brachychiton acerifolius seeds from Banagalore DSC03976 sm crp nm.jpg

Madhuri Pejaver

Sep 11, 2011, 3:13:24 PM9/11/11
to efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh, Balkar Arya, ushadi Micromini
What a beauty! A great avenue tree really. Thanks for showing
Madhrui

ushadi Micromini

Sep 11, 2011, 3:20:38 PM9/11/11
to Madhuri Pejaver, efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh, Balkar Arya
Thank you Madhuri ji...
Usha di
-----

Tanay Bose

Sep 11, 2011, 8:37:24 PM9/11/11
to ushadi Micromini, Madhuri Pejaver, efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh, Balkar Arya
Nice Usha Di
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Satish Phadke

Sep 12, 2011, 1:39:07 AM9/12/11
to ushadi Micromini, efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh, Balkar Arya
Oh what a beauty!.
Thanks for sharing.
Thoughts came to mind....
The tree shares some characters with our native Firmiana colorata.
Both have acer like leaves. Flowers same colour and pattern (Tepals)though size shape differs. Both from Malvaceae (Sterculiaceae)
Dr Phadke