Re: ID confirmation MS310311 -21 - Terminalia species?

M Swamy

Mar 31, 2011, 8:10:50 AM3/31/11
to efloraofindia
I am attaching the photographs of a tree, possibly a species of Terminalia for confirmation of ID.  The photos were taken on 27.12.2010 in Sakrebayalu, near Shimoga, Karnataka.  This is a big tree.

IMG_2351.JPG
IMG_2352.JPG
IMG_2353.JPG

tanay bose

Mar 31, 2011, 9:09:02 AM3/31/11
to M Swamy, efloraofindia
Terminalia paniculata
Tanay

--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Mahadeswara

Apr 1, 2011, 7:07:00 AM4/1/11
to efloraofindia
Tanay ji,
Thanks for the ID.
>  IMG_2351.JPG
> 356KViewDownload
>
>  IMG_2352.JPG
> 294KViewDownload
>
>  IMG_2353.JPG
> 296KViewDownload

prasanna gogate

Apr 1, 2011, 10:56:16 AM4/1/11
to Mahadeswara, efloraofindia
it is endemic to western ghat???? what is use of it
regards
prasanna gogate

Satish Phadke

Apr 1, 2011, 10:57:37 AM4/1/11
to M Swamy, efloraofindia
Yes I agree.
It is Terminalia paniculata (Marathi Kinjal) A very common tree near Rajapur Ratnagiri.
The wood is supposed to be good for house construction.
Dr Phadke