Corymborkis versicolor flowering

Neil Soares

Jun 27, 2011, 7:01:14 AM6/27/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com, wildflo...@yahoogroups.com
Hi,
  Was at my farm at Shahapur yesterday. Corymborkis versicolor [syn. Malaxis versicolor ; syn. Malaxis rheedii] was flowering profusely. Sending a few photographs.
                   With regards,
                     Neil Soares.
Corymborkis versicolor 1a.jpg
Corymborkis versicolor 1b.jpg
Corymborkis versicolor 2a.jpg
Corymborkis versicolor 2b.jpg
Corymborkis versicolor 3a.jpg
Corymborkis versicolor 3b.jpg
Corymborkis versicolor 3c.jpg

H S

Jun 27, 2011, 8:06:40 AM6/27/11
to Neil Soares, indian...@googlegroups.com, wildflo...@yahoogroups.com
beautiful pics... thanks for sharing,

i guess you planted it?

reagards,

--
- H.S.

A scientific man ought to have no wishes, no affections, - a mere heart of
stone

Balkar Arya

Jun 27, 2011, 8:49:19 AM6/27/11
to H S, Neil Soares, indian...@googlegroups.com, wildflo...@yahoogroups.com
Great Catch Neil Ji !!

--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964

Neil Soares

Jun 27, 2011, 9:15:29 AM6/27/11
to H S, indian...@googlegroups.com, wildflo...@yahoogroups.com
Hi H.S.,
 Affirmative for this but not the Luisia sp.
                Regards,
                  Neil Soares.

Neil Soares

Jun 27, 2011, 12:32:00 PM6/27/11
to H S, Balkar Arya, indian...@googlegroups.com, wildflo...@yahoogroups.com
Thank you Dr. Balkar Arya.
       If I could make a request to you [and a few others too]..... when replying to a mail / when posting an opinion, please do not delete the relevant parts of the mail as it helps in maintaining a continuity of thought & context.
                                With regards,
                                  Neil Soares.

Balkar Arya

Jun 27, 2011, 12:39:53 PM6/27/11
to Neil Soares, H S, indian...@googlegroups.com, wildflo...@yahoogroups.com
Neil Ji Thanks for pointing out this I'll keep this in mind while replying

Pankaj Kumar

Jun 27, 2011, 1:38:53 PM6/27/11
to indiantreepix, Neil Soares, H S, Balkar Arya
Respected Neil Sir,

I just wanted to inform that Corymborkis versicolor is a DRASTICALLY
INCORRECT name for this plant!! I have nothing against the author of
such names but, such literature should not be followed for the better
health of orchid taxonomy in Maharastra. Even Kew doesnt accept that
name. The correct name of the plant should be:

Malaxis versicolor (Lindl.) Abeyw., Ceylon J. Sci., Biol. Sci. 2: 247 (1959).

Synonyms:
Microstylis versicolor Lindl., Gen. Sp. Orchid. Pl.: 21 (1830).
Seidenfia versicolor (Lindl.) Marg. & Szlach., Polish Bot. J. 46: 56 (2001).
Corymborkis versicolor (Lindl.) M.R.Almeida, Fl. Maharashtra 5A: 30 (2009).
Liparis priochilus Lodd., Bot. Cab. 18: t. 1751 (1831).

Both genus are too far from each other in phylogeny, Malaxis belongs
to tribe Malaxideae whereas Corymborkis belongs to Tropideae. Even
these tribes are very far from each other on the phylogenetic tree.

Coming to morphological differences of the genus:

Corymborkis (Lower Epidendroid): Plants without pseudobulbs, Flowers
resupinate, Inflorescence not branched, Column long, Pollinia 2,
Pollinia with stipe,

Malaxis (Higher Epidendroid): Plants without pseudobulbs, Flowers
non-resupinate, Inflorescence branched, Column short, Pollinia 4,
Pollinia without caudicle or viscidium,

You may dissect the flower to check for these characters and make out
yourself. This is also a mail for others who are working on Orchids
especially in Maharastra, PLEASE DO NOT FOLLOW ANY LITERATURE BLINDLY.
ITS NOT GOOD FOR YOU NEITHER ITS GOOD FOR ORCHID TAXONOMY IN INDIA.

Please find some plates of Malaxis and Corymborkis from internet to
check the differences between two genera.

As for the author, I always respect him for his hard work and patience
he had been working and he still goes to field in search for plants. I
am a big fan of him myself, but out views dont match on Orchid
taxonomy, may be because he is almost double of my age and
experience!!

Regards
Pankaj

Neil Ji Thanks for pointing out this I'll keep this in mind while
replying

On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 10:02 PM, Neil Soares

--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

Malaxis 01.jpg
Malaxis 02.jpg
Corymborkis veratrifolia.jpg
PHYLOGENETIC ANALYSIS OF ORCHIDACEAE.pdf

Dr Pankaj Kumar

Jun 27, 2011, 1:41:40 PM6/27/11
to efloraofindia
Sorry Malaxis has unbranched and Corymborkis has branched
inflorescence.
Regards
Pankaj
>  Malaxis 01.jpg
> 159KViewDownload
>
>  Malaxis 02.jpg
> 32KViewDownload
>
>  Corymborkis veratrifolia.jpg
> 85KViewDownload
>
>  PHYLOGENETIC ANALYSIS OF ORCHIDACEAE.pdf
> 319KViewDownload

Ushadi micromini

Jun 27, 2011, 8:58:20 PM6/27/11
to Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia, Neil Soares
Dear Pankaj ji:
could you please tell me the source
( reference, or URL of these two fiures/line drawings) PLEASE
Thanks
Usha di 6 27 2011
======

Pankaj Kumar

Jun 28, 2011, 12:05:18 AM6/28/11
to Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia, Neil Soares
Reference of the plates are as follows:
Corymborkis veratrifolia (Reinw.) Blume:
G. King & R. Pantling. 1898. The Orchids of the Sikkim-Himalaya. Royal
Botanic Garden, Calcutta, Book Publisher: Bengal Secretariat Press,
Calcutta. t 354.

Malaxis 01 is Malaxis carinatifolium and now known as Crepidium
carinatifolium (J.J.Sm.) Szlach,
Its a line drawing by P. O'Byrne

Malaxis 02 is Malaxis muscifera (Lindl.) Kuntze
G. King & R. Pantling. 1898. The Orchids of the Sikkim-Himalaya. Royal
Botanic Garden, Calcutta, Book Publisher: Bengal Secretariat Press,
Calcutta. t 25.

All these references could be found online on
http://orchid.unibas.ch/iconography.search-herbarium.php

Regards
Pankaj

Neil Soares

Jun 28, 2011, 12:33:27 AM6/28/11
to indiantreepix, H S, Balkar Arya, Pankaj Kumar
Thank you Dr. Pankaj for you detailed explanation. Haven't got the wherewithal to carry out dissections but will follow you recommendation.
                         Regards,
                          Neil Soares.

Pankaj Kumar

Jun 28, 2011, 12:36:28 AM6/28/11
to Neil Soares, indiantreepix, H S, Balkar Arya
There is no need to dissect the flower sir. Put one small stick on the column and take out pollinia on your palm. You will find them as irregular shaped structure without any tail (stipe or caudicle). No stipe is character of Malaxis and its present in Corymborkis.
Thanks again for understanding my point.
Pankaj

On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 10:03 AM, Neil Soares <drneil...@yahoo.com> wrote:
Thank you Dr. Pankaj for you detailed explanation. Haven't got the wherewithal to carry out dissections but will follow you recommendation.
                         Regards,
                          Neil Soares.

Jun 28, 2011, 12:52:59 AM6/28/11
to indiantreepix

From: raju <dasr...@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 10:16 AM
Subject: Fwd: Fwd: Corymborkis versicolor flowering
To: dasr...@gmail.com

There is no need to dissect the flower sir. Put one small stick on the
column and take out pollinia on your palm. You will find them as
irregular
shaped structure without any tail (stipe or caudicle). No stipe is
character
of Malaxis and its present in Corymborkis.
Thanks again for understanding my point.
Pankaj

On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 10:03 AM, Neil Soares

> Thank you Dr. Pankaj for you detailed explanation. Haven't got the
> wherewithal to carry out dissections but will follow you recommendation.
>                          Regards,
>                           Neil Soares.

Dehradun - 248001, India- Hide quoted text -

Raju Das
Nature's Foster

--
Raju Das
Nature's Foster

H S

Jun 28, 2011, 1:35:55 AM6/28/11
to raju das, indiantreepix
Its interesting discussion on Malaxis.

To me it look like This plant should go under some other Genus
[earlier some other valid genus describe for the plant, other than
Malaxis],

Malaxis spicata is type of Genus Malaxis is native to North America,
and it shows some differences in the flowers.

regards,