Into the heart of old, stately trees ...

1 view

raghu ananth

Jul 3, 2010, 8:29:06 AM7/3/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com

The canopy walk at Talakona, a fast developing community based eco tourism is considered as the 2nd largest in Asia. (240 meters long, 80 feet high). However, what is distressing is that the walkway has been engineered with the help of steel ropes, iron nails, screws et al, plunged right into the heart of old, stately trees. And with 3000 visitors pounding the canopy walk  on weekends , we wonder if the trees already with deep wounds can survive in the coming years.

Some of the affected trees include the endemics- Shorea Talura, Syzygium cumini, Mangifera Indica ...

Talakona, forest, foot hills, Eastern ghats, Andhra Pradesh

Regards

Raghu

DSC_0642a.jpg
DSC_0644.jpg
DSC_0648c.jpg
DSC_1322.jpg
DSC_1325.jpg
DSC_1327.jpg

tanay bose

Jul 3, 2010, 8:58:38 AM7/3/10
to raghu ananth, indian...@googlegroups.com
Nice innovation to get a bird's eye view.
Tanay

Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)
9830439691(Mobile)

promila chaturvedi

Jul 3, 2010, 9:11:17 AM7/3/10
to tanay bose, raghu ananth, indian...@googlegroups.com
these inpvation are killing our trees. and destroying the environment
Promila

Alpa Sheth

Jul 3, 2010, 10:45:22 AM7/3/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear All:

Thanks for Raghu for sharing your pcitures
While this is not exactly a canopy walk from India I  am including pictures from the Kew gardens I visited last summer to show how beautifully a canopy walk can be made without harming the trees. It is expensive but not intrusive  and frankly I don't think it is so very necessary. But still if we insist on having them then let's do it right.

Regards,
Alpa`

On Sat, Jul 3, 2010 at 5:59 PM, raghu ananth <ragh...@yahoo.com> wrote:
tree walk column.JPG
tree walk stairway.JPG
kew tree walk 2.JPG
kew tree walk 4.JPG
kew tree walk 5.JPG

cf ngwlc

Jul 3, 2010, 10:42:23 PM7/3/10
to efloraofindia
Dear All,

Thanks for sharing information on "How not do and how to do the eco-
tourism". At many places, the natural intrinsic value of the place/
biological entity is harmed in the name of "Eco tourism". Should we
have a system of "AUDIT" or evaluation of eco-tourism practiced in
India?

With best wishes to all.

Bharat Pathak