Fruits & Vegetables Week: Portulaca oleracea, the common purslane

Gurcharan Singh

Jan 11, 2011, 9:03:22 PM1/11/11
to efloraofindia
Portulaca oleracea, the common purslane, a common weed in wastelands, cultivated fields and roadsides is used as pot-herb, consumed as salad and employed in salads. Flesh stems are often pickled.

Local names
Hindi: Khursa, baralaniya, kulfa
Beng: Baraloniya
Mar: Bhuigholi, kurfah, mhotighol
Guj: Moto loni, ghol
Tel: Peddapayilikura, ganga-pavilikura
Tam: Karikeeral, parupukkiray, pullikirat
Kan: Dooddagooni, soppu
Mal: Karlecheera

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Portulaca-oleracea-vikas-puri-Delhi-4.jpg
Portulaca-oleracea-AK-Delhi-1.jpg
Portulaca-oleracea-khalsa-Delhi-2.jpg
Portulaca-oleracea-vikas-puri-Delhi-3.jpg

mani nair

Jan 12, 2011, 2:49:44 AM1/12/11
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Gurcharan ji, nice photo. The beautiful flowers often planted in
hanging boxes - commonly called "Office time" is a cousin of this
plant.

Regards,

Mani.

Gurcharan Singh

Jan 12, 2011, 7:16:48 AM1/12/11
to mani nair, efloraofindia
Mani ji
Can you send photographs of this Office time plant. Could it be P. grandiflora?. They are in our archives, you can confirm if you like.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

mani nair

Jan 12, 2011, 7:31:59 AM1/12/11
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Yes sure Gurcharan ji, it is the same plant you are talking about.
Let me see whether I got some photos with me, I will send. Otherwise I
will give a link to the archives.

Regards,

Mani.

mani nair

Jan 26, 2011, 9:31:04 AM1/26/11
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Here is the photo of Office time.
Photo credit : Ms. Smita Raskar.
Regards,
Mani.
office time.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Jan 26, 2011, 11:13:06 AM1/26/11
to mani nair, efloraofindia
Mani ji
This is portulaca  x Yubi. Some consider it to be a variety of P. oleracea, others a variety of P. grandiflora and still others as a hybrid between the two species. This seems to be a good material for any one interested in Biosystematic or Molecular studies.