Shankha Pushpa Tree - 240811 - RK

ranjini kamath

Aug 24, 2011, 6:31:54 AM8/24/11
to indiatreepix
Clitoria arborea.Pics taken in Lalbagh Botanical Garden,Bangalore on
14/08/2011 around 9.30 am Have posted pictures of the same tree quite
some time back - at the absolute end of the flowering season- last
year.I think the flowering must have been at it's peak late June-early
July.I have seen this tree only in Lalbagh.
Regards
Ranjini Kamath
IMG_9393-ph.jpg
IMG_9394-ph.jpg
IMG_9396-ph.jpg
IMG_9397-ph.jpg
IMG_9398-ph.jpg
IMG_9399-ph.jpg
IMG_9400-ph.jpg
IMG_9401-ph3.jpg
IMG_9409-ph2.jpg

Madhuri Raut

Aug 24, 2011, 6:46:31 AM8/24/11
to ranjini kamath, indiatreepix
Is it a variety of Gokarna(in Marathi) or Butterfly pea where the flowers are blue?

Regards
Bhagyashri

Na Bha

Aug 24, 2011, 7:11:52 AM8/24/11
to ranjini kamath, indiatreepix
Vwry beautiful fotos.
Thanks Ranjini ji for sharing. Do they have other coloras as well?

ranjini kamath

Aug 24, 2011, 7:52:16 AM8/24/11
to Na Bha, indiatreepix
Hello all In the climber variety i have seen several colours -
brilliant blue [Gokarna], white,violet - this is the only tree i [ &
others in my group ]have come across.So i do not know at all about
Shankha Pushpa trees having flowers of any other colour.
Regards

promila chaturvedi

Aug 24, 2011, 8:48:58 AM8/24/11
to ranjini kamath, Na Bha, indiatreepix
It is Clitoria ternatea of Fabaceae family. It is a medicinal plant.
Promila

ranjini kamath

Aug 24, 2011, 11:56:53 AM8/24/11
to promila chaturvedi, Na Bha, indiatreepix
Promila ji   The board at the foot of the tree mentions it as Clitoria arborea.I have sent some pics of Clitoria ternatea [ climber ]taken in Thattekkad,Kerala on 7th - 9th Dec 2009 in this post.
Regards
   Ranjini Kamath
IMG_6743-ph.jpg
IMG_6745-ph.jpg
IMG_7117-ph-2.jpg

Ushadi micromini

Aug 25, 2011, 1:25:59 AM8/25/11
to efloraofindia
Bhagyashri... NO... this is ... Clitoria arborea ... this is a
tree...
Gokarna , Clitoria ternata , is a vine... big difference....
Please google it...
once you read the differential diagnosis ... you'll never forget it...
Usha di
====

On Aug 24, 3:46 pm, Madhuri Raut <itii...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is it a variety of Gokarna(in Marathi) or Butterfly pea where the flowers
> are blue?
>
> Regards
> Bhagyashri

Ushadi micromini

Aug 25, 2011, 1:42:39 AM8/25/11
to efloraofindia
Ranjini ji:
You are right ... this is a tree...
one of many species in the Genus CLITORIA: of family **** Fabaceae

Species of clitoria:
* C. amazonum - *C. annua - * C. arborea - * C. arborescens - * C.
australis - * C. dendrina - * C. fairchildiana - *C. falcata -
* C. fragrans - * C. guianensis - * C. heterophylla - * C.
javitensis -* C. laurifolia - * C. linearis - * C. mariana
- * C. mexicana - * C. nana - * C. sagotii - * C. stipularis -
* C. ternatea

The clitoria trees I have seen are : C. arborea and c.
fairchildiana.... both are native of South AMerica...

horticulturists have introduced them to other tropical areas...

Thanks for showing this here...

USha di
======

On Aug 24, 4:52 pm, ranjini kamath <ranjin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all   In the climber variety i have seen several colours -
> brilliant blue [Gokarna], white,violet - this is the only tree i [ &
> others in my group ]have come across.So i do not know at all about
> Shankha Pushpa trees having flowers of any other colour.
> Regards

Ushadi micromini

Aug 25, 2011, 1:45:59 AM8/25/11
to efloraofindia
MS CHATURVEDI:
Please see my response to Ranjini ji...
there is a big ...BIG... difference....
this is a tree.... C. arborea ... planted sometimes as an avenue
tree...

While C. ternata is a vine... perennial vine , yet a vine none the
less.... needs a support to grow even after 10 - 20 years of growth
and thickish woody stem....

Usha di
======

On Aug 24, 5:48 pm, promila chaturvedi
<thegardener.chaturv...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It is Clitoria ternatea of Fabaceae family. It is a medicinal plant.
> Promila
>
> On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 5:22 PM, ranjini kamath <ranjin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello all   In the climber variety i have seen several colours -
> > brilliant blue [Gokarna], white,violet - this is the only tree i [ &
> > others in my group ]have come across.So i do not know at all about
> > Shankha Pushpa trees having flowers of any other colour.
> > Regards

Madhuri Raut

Aug 25, 2011, 2:49:31 AM8/25/11
to Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
Respected Ushadiji,
Thank you for pointing out the differential. Infact I had already noticed this difference and was wondering how 2 similar looking flowers but with different colours have different origins one a tree and the other a climber?
Regards
Bhagyashri

ranjini kamath

Aug 25, 2011, 6:23:12 AM8/25/11
to Madhuri Raut, Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
Thanks for so much additional information Ushadi.I look forward to coming across C.fairchildiana!

promila chaturvedi

Aug 29, 2011, 9:31:43 AM8/29/11
to ranjini kamath, Madhuri Raut, Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
Thanks you all- Dr. Usha D., Kamath Esq., and Ms Raut for pointing out my mistake.
Promila

hari lal

Aug 30, 2011, 5:33:51 AM8/30/11
to promila chaturvedi, ranjini kamath, Madhuri Raut, Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
very nice thanks for all to discuss here
--
HARI SHANKAR LAL
AT-SHIV KUTIR