efloraofindia:''For Id 05092011MR2’’ pretty yellow cream flower Pune

Madhuri Raut

Sep 24, 2011, 4:00:22 AM9/24/11
to efloraofindia

Request for identification

Date/Time-Sep 2011

Location- Place, Altitude, GPS-Pune

Habitat- Garden/ Urban/ Wild/ Type-Wild

Plant Habit- Tree/ Shrub/ Climber/ Herb- Herb

Height/Length- about 10 cms

Leaves Type/ Shape/ Size-Green

Flowers Size/ Colour/ Calyx/ Bracts- cream yellow

Fruits not seen

The 2nd pic is only of the flower the leaves are of some other plant but as it was growing wild it was difficult to seperate it out. I have photographed it as was looking very clear

Regards

w240920111933.jpg
w240920111931.jpg

Satish Phadke

Sep 24, 2011, 5:43:23 AM9/24/11
to Madhuri Raut, efloraofindia
Most probably this is Abutilon indicum. from Malvaceae. Search for the earlier postings of the same plant on the group site.
--
Dr Satish Phadke

Balkar Arya

Sep 24, 2011, 6:45:22 AM9/24/11
to Satish Phadke, Madhuri Raut, efloraofindia
Yes looks like A indicum but flowers looks small
--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964

Madhuri Raut

Sep 24, 2011, 12:50:42 PM9/24/11
to Balkar Arya, Satish Phadke, efloraofindia
Thank you Dr Phadke and Balkarji. @ Dr Phadke I looked up the previous threads too.
Regards
Bhagyashri

Vijayasankar

Sep 24, 2011, 9:06:43 PM9/24/11
to Madhuri Raut, Balkar Arya, Satish Phadke, efloraofindia
Looks like a Sida sp. to me, may be S. cordata.

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 24, 2011, 10:31:19 PM9/24/11
to Vijayasankar, Madhuri Raut, Balkar Arya, Satish Phadke, efloraofindia
Yes S.cordata (syn: S. veronicifolia) seems to be the right choice.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Ushadi micromini

Sep 25, 2011, 1:16:27 AM9/25/11
to efloraofindia
Yes... my vote is for sid most likely...

BUT do you remember I submitted a creeper like plant that I had said
could be SIDA but turned out to be Abutilon indicum? ((my plant is at
))

QUESTION: SO HOW DOES ONE SEPARATE THE TWO ?

THANKS
Usha di
===

On Sep 25, 7:31 am, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes S.cordata (syn: S. veronicifolia) seems to be the right choice.
>
> --
> Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> Retired  Associate Professor
> On Sun, Sep 25, 2011 at 6:36 AM, Vijayasankar <vijay.botan...@gmail.com>wrote:
>

> > Looks like a *Sida *sp. to me, may be *S. cordata*.
>
> > Regards
>
> > Vijayasankar Raman
> > National Center for Natural Products Research
> > University of Mississippi
>
> > On Sat, Sep 24, 2011 at 11:50 AM, Madhuri Raut <itii...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> Thank you Dr Phadke and Balkarji. @ Dr Phadke I looked up the previous
> >> threads too.
> >> Regards
> >> Bhagyashri

hari lal

Sep 25, 2011, 1:33:22 AM9/25/11
to Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
i go with Dr.Singh Sida cordifolia
--
HARI SHANKAR LAL
AT-SHIV KUTIR

Madhuri Raut

Sep 25, 2011, 8:09:55 AM9/25/11
to hari lal, Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
I am confused about the Id I went back to the wild area and touched the leaves they were very rough to touch? Does this give any clue?
Regards
Bhagyashri

Balkar Arya

Sep 25, 2011, 8:39:49 AM9/25/11
to Madhuri Raut, hari lal, Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
I think Leaves usually not so large in S cordata as compared to flowers, this may be due if plant growing in shady area. And leaves may not be so rough if growing in shade. Confusing!!!!!

Satish Phadke

Sep 26, 2011, 3:58:42 AM9/26/11
to Madhuri Raut, efloraofindia
I still think this is Abutilon.
I think the flowers you have captured are small. They are bigger in Abutilon.
If possible you can check the size of new flowers again.
Bye the way the Abutilon flowers open in late afternoon...........
--
Dr Satish Phadke

Giby Kuriakose

Sep 26, 2011, 8:45:44 AM9/26/11
to Madhuri Raut, efloraofindia
I think, Sida cordifolia, if the plant is an erect herb.

If the plant is creeping then this can be S. cordata.

Leaf size can be up to 5.5 X 3.5cm for S cordifolia and for S cordata it can be 6 X 5cm, according to Flora of Udupi (G K Bhat, 2003).

Regards,
Giby

--
GIBY KURIAKOSE PhD
Royal Enclave,

Madhuri Raut

Sep 26, 2011, 9:01:32 AM9/26/11
to Satish Phadke, efloraofindia
As the Id was not clear I went again into the wild to capture fresh pics of the plant at 11.30 am. The flowers were already open .

Studying the pics I too think it is Sida Cordata
I have attached 3 pics comparing the stem,leaves, calyx and flowers of the two. The pics of A indicum are from the net a white arrow shows purple tinged stem in A indicum . Pics of Sida Acuta are mine
I hope I am correct.
A.indicum vs S cordata flower.JPG
A indicum vs S cordata calyx.JPG
Abutilon indicum vs SIda cordata leaves.JPG

Madhuri Raut

Sep 26, 2011, 9:04:50 AM9/26/11
to Satish Phadke, efloraofindia
@Gibyji it looked more like creeping rather than erect