[efloraofindia:32588] Erythrina indica Lamk. syn. Erythrina variegata L.

rashida atthar

Apr 18, 2010, 11:42:54 AM4/18/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com

The flowering and fruitng of Erythrina indica seen today at the South end of the national park in Mumbai. One amusing thing I find is the touch of silk cotton blown from the abundance of  the silk cotton pods in this month on  almost all trees around it's  vicinity. Here too it can be seennear the pods.

regards,
Rashida.

The latest auto launches and test drives Drag n' drop

Erythrina indica flowers and pods.JPG
Erythrina indica flowers.JPG
Erythrina indica Lamk. pods.JPG
Erythrina indica Lamk. trunk.JPG

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 18, 2010, 12:23:32 PM4/18/10
to rashida atthar, indian...@googlegroups.com
Rashida ji
The inflorescence suggests E. suberosa

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Neil Soares

Apr 18, 2010, 12:44:31 PM4/18/10
to rashida atthar, Gurcharan Singh, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
 Agree with Prof. Singh. Also in E.variegata the pods should be long, round, beaded with a constriction between the seeds.
                      With regards,
                        Neil Soares.

tanay bose

Apr 18, 2010, 2:48:14 PM4/18/10
to Neil Soares, rashida atthar, Gurcharan Singh, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear ALL,
Providing the description of Erythrina suberosa from "E-flora of Pakistan" for further references of its taxonomical characters.

Erythrina suberosa Roxb., Fl.Ind. 3:253. 1832. Baker in Hook.f., Fl. Brit.Ind. 2:189. 1876; Cooke, Fl. Bomb. Pres. (reprint ed.) 1:392.1958; Parker, For.Fl.Punj. 3rd.ed. 158.1956.

Erect tree, 13-17 in tall, branches armed with prickles. 3-6 mm long, which fall off after the third year. Leaf sometimes armed, trifoliolate, petiole 10-20 cm long, leaflets 7.5-15 cm long and broad, the terminal rhomboid ovate, the lateral obliquely deltoid, glabrous above, densely pubescent below; stipels glanduliform; stipules linear-lanceolate, caducous. Racemes 14, near the tip of branches, 5-10 cm long, peduncle short. Flowers in fascicles of 1-3. Pedicel 12-13 mm long; bracts caducous, bracteoles minute. Calyx 6-10 mm long, pubescent, becoming bilabiate. Corolla scarlet. Vexillum 3.7-5.0 cm long, 12-16 mm broad. Fruit stipitate, 12.5-15.0 cm long, torulose, 2-5-seeded.

Regards
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)

Dinesh Valke

Apr 18, 2010, 11:38:55 PM4/18/10
to tanay bose, Neil Soares, rashida atthar, Gurcharan Singh, indian...@googlegroups.com
Erythrina stricta var. suberosa is commonly known as: Indian coral tree, tiger claw • Bengali: রক্তমন্দার raktamandar • Hindi: ढोलधाक dhol-dhak, मन्दार mandara, पांगरा pangra • Kannada: halivana, keechige, mandara • Konkani: पांगार paangaar • Malayalam: ആണ്മുരിക്ക് aanmurikk, മുളളുമുരിക്ക് mulalumurikk, വെണ്മുരിക്ക് venamurikk • Marathi: पांगारा pangara • Sanskrit: मन्दार mandara, पारिभद्र paribhadra • Tamil: கிஞ்சுகம் kincukam, முண்முருக்கு munmurukku, முருக்கு மரம் murukku maram • Telugu: బలభద్రిక balabhadrika

It is far more common that this coral tree is presented with the scientific name Erythrina suberosa online, but its taxonomic status was changed in 1992 to being recognized as only a variety of Erythrina stricta. It is native to southeast and south Asia. ... http://www.ubcbotanicalgarden.org/potd/2007/06/erythrina_suberosa.php

NPGS / GRIN ... http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/html/taxon.pl?317849

Regards.

tanay bose

Apr 19, 2010, 12:46:55 AM4/19/10
to Dinesh Valke, Neil Soares, rashida atthar, Gurcharan Singh, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hey Dinesh ji,
You are using my University's Botanical garden reference !!!!! ha ha ha

http://www.ubcbotanicalgarden.org/potd/2007/06/erythrina_suberosa.php
 This is the offical website for Uviversity of British Bolumbia (UBC) Vancouver Canada , this botanic garden is a large one situated inside our Vancouver campus. I want a royalty charge from you in form of a chocolate he he he he
tanay

Dinesh Valke

Apr 19, 2010, 12:53:02 AM4/19/10
to tanay bose, Neil Soares, rashida atthar, Gurcharan Singh, indian...@googlegroups.com
Yes dear Tanay ... you see I am as selfish as you ... wanted to show off my photo of E. strica var suberosa put in your university's botanical garden website !!

tanay bose

Apr 19, 2010, 1:08:51 AM4/19/10
to Dinesh Valke, Neil Soares, rashida atthar, Gurcharan Singh, indian...@googlegroups.com

Dear Dinesh ji,
Why did you tag me as a selfish ? what Selfishness did I do !!!!! Anyways your photo is great!!
regards
Tanay

--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)

Dinesh Valke

Apr 19, 2010, 1:20:32 AM4/19/10
to tanay bose, indian...@googlegroups.com
.... that was humour, dear Tanay !!! not rumour !!!
Will keep one big chocolate reserved for you !!
Regards.

tanay bose

Apr 19, 2010, 1:28:19 AM4/19/10
to Dinesh Valke, indian...@googlegroups.com
Yummy thank you very much !!! I will send you good photos of the plant from botanic garden and also Nitobe memorial grden (japanese garden) once i go there ......the garden is just awosome I couldnot imagine a Univ can have such a big garden personally ..
tanay

rashida atthar

Apr 20, 2010, 1:25:15 AM4/20/10
to dinesh...@gmail.com, tanay...@gmail.com, drneil...@yahoo.com, sing...@gmail.com, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thank a lot Dr Gurcharanji, Dr.Neil, Dinesh ji and Tanay ji for the correct ID. Apologies for my mistake.

regards,
Rashida.

Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 09:08:55 +0530
Subject: Re: [efloraofindia:32610] Erythrina indica Lamk. syn. Erythrina variegata L.
From: dinesh...@gmail.com
To: tanay...@gmail.com
CC: drneil...@yahoo.com; rashid...@hotmail.com; sing...@gmail.com; indian...@googlegroups.com

Neil Soares

Apr 20, 2010, 3:45:24 AM4/20/10
to tanay bose, Dinesh Valke, rashida atthar, Gurcharan Singh, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dinesh,
 According to Dr.Almeida's 'Flora of Maharashtra' - E.variegata [E.indica], E.suberosa and E.stricta are all distinct. Have all 3 on my property but only E.suberosa is flowering now. Sending you a few photographs of E.suberosa [and photographs of the barks of E.stricta and E.variegata in separate mails].
                       Regards,
                         Neil.

--- On Mon, 4/19/10, Dinesh Valke <dinesh...@gmail.com> wrote:
Erythrina suberosa flowering.jpg
Erythrina suberosa flowers.jpg
Erythrina suberosa pods.jpg
Erythrina suberosa bark.jpg

Dinesh Valke

Apr 20, 2010, 4:01:40 AM4/20/10
to Neil Soares, tanay bose, rashida atthar, Gurcharan Singh, indian...@googlegroups.com
Many thanks Neil ji for the clarification.
Surprising to see no spines on the branches carrying the flowers of E. suberosa.
Eager to see E. stricta flowering and know the difference ... perhaps that would show spines.

Regards.

Neil Soares

Apr 20, 2010, 4:25:46 AM4/20/10
to Dinesh Valke, tanay bose, rashida atthar, Gurcharan Singh, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dinesh,
  Spines are seen at the top of really tall trees.Sending you a few photographs.
                      Regards,
                        Neil.
E.suberosa 1.jpg
E.suberosa 2.jpg
E.suberosa 3.jpg
E.suberosa 4 - with a Rufous Treepie.jpg
E.suberosa 5.jpg
Pods of E. suberosa.jpg

Dinesh Valke

Apr 20, 2010, 5:09:11 AM4/20/10
to Neil Soares, tanay bose, rashida atthar, Gurcharan Singh, indian...@googlegroups.com
Yes indeed Neil ji ... my eagerness remains to see a view of E. stricta flowering ... to know whether the two species are easily distinguishable.
Regards.

Pardeshi S.

Apr 20, 2010, 9:42:12 AM4/20/10
to efloraofindia
Hello all and Dinesh ji
E. stricta can be observed in Sanjay Gandhi National Park, very common
near the old remain of NITCo Company (i dnt know exact name).
where as E. suberosa can be observed at Veermata Jijabai Bhonsale
udyan , just opposite lane to the main office. also one at Goregaon
east station road, opposite Pritam hotel.

Regards
Satish Pardeshi

On Apr 20, 2:09 pm, Dinesh Valke <dinesh.va...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes indeed Neil ji ... my eagerness remains to see a view of *E.
> stricta*flowering ... to know whether the two species are easily
> distinguishable.
> Regards.
>

> On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 1:55 PM, Neil Soares <drneilsoa...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Hi Dinesh,
> >   Spines are seen at the top of really tall trees.Sending you a few
> > photographs.
> >                       Regards,
> >                         Neil.

JM Garg

J.M. Garg

May 19, 2017, 6:25:00 AM5/19/17
to efloraofindia, Neil Soares, radha veach, Dinesh Valke
Taking it as Erythrina stricta Roxb. due to glabrous pods & bark not being grooved as per discussions in another thread.

With regards,
J.M.Garg

Erythrina indica flowers and pods.JPG
Erythrina indica flowers.JPG
Erythrina indica Lamk. pods.JPG
Erythrina indica Lamk. trunk.JPG

JM Garg

May 19, 2017, 6:29:44 AM5/19/17
to Neil Soares, efloraofindia, Dinesh Valke, radha veach
These images by Neil ji may be as Erythrina stricta Roxb. due to glabrous pods although images are not clear.

Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)
9830439691(Mobile)
9674221362 (Mobile)

E.suberosa 1.jpg
E.suberosa 2.jpg
E.suberosa 3.jpg
E.suberosa 4 - with a Rufous Treepie.jpg
E.suberosa 5.jpg
Pods of E. suberosa.jpg

JM Garg

May 19, 2017, 6:52:03 AM5/19/17
to efloraofindia, Neil Soares, Dinesh Valke, radha veach
Pods in the attached images appear to be non- glabrous & should be of Erythrina suberosa Roxb. as per discussions in another thread
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to indiantreepix+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)
9830439691(Mobile)
9674221362 (Mobile)

Erythrina suberosa flowering.jpg
Erythrina suberosa flowers.jpg
Erythrina suberosa pods.jpg
Erythrina suberosa bark.jpg

J.M. Garg

May 19, 2017, 7:36:50 AM5/19/17
to efloraofindia, radha veach
Thanks, Radha ji.

May 19, 2017, 7:47:18 AM5/19/17
to efloraofindia, radha veach, Neil Soares
Thanks, Radha ji.
These were all posted in the same thread.

May 19, 2017, 8:17:57 AM5/19/17
to efloraofindia, radha veach, Neil Soares
Thanks, Radha ji.
But to me pods in this set of six images appear to be glabrous, although images are not clear.