VALMIKI : OBSERVER OF NATURE

Col Bimal Sarkar

Apr 19, 2011, 9:51:14 AM4/19/11
Dear Friend,
Today I am attaching images of the leaves and trunk of a tree Valmiki called KAKUBHA or ARJUNA.( Scientifically it is known as Terminalia arjuna.).Valmiki was a keen observer,and knew that the tree peels off the bark at this time of the year,and the trunk turns very smooth.
He compared the smoothness of human body part with that of the trunk of Kakubha or Arjun.He used trunk of another plant for comparison purpose and that is Banana tree.If you are having Arjuna tree in your area you may like to see for yourself how keen an observer was Valmiki.
Regards
Col (Retd) Bimal Sarkar
Mobile: 9434194942
Valmiki 3.jpg
Valmiki 4.jpg

J.M. Garg

Apr 20, 2011, 1:40:35 AM4/20/11
to efloraofindia, Col Bimal Sarkar
Forwarding pl.
For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group: http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 1580 members & 66,000 messages on 30/3/11) or Efloraofindia website: https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/ (with a species database of around 4500 species)

Valmiki 3.jpg
Valmiki 4.jpg

Col Bimal Sarkar

Apr 20, 2011, 10:06:39 AM4/20/11
Dear Friend,
Do you know that Valmiki did not mention about any LAKSHMAN REKHA in his Ramayan?I was surprised when I came to know about this information,by reading Ramayan by Valmiki in orgianal.I did it in 1995.I think this famous Lakshman Rekha is from Ramcharit Manas by Tulsidas.If you are surprised,please go through Valmiki Ramayan.
I am attaching an image of another plant mentioned by Valmiki.This one is famous CHANDAN.
Valmiki 5.jpg

Col Bimal Sarkar

Apr 21, 2011, 10:00:26 AM4/21/11
Dear Friend,
At first I want to apologize for an error on the image of CHANDAN,I fwd yesterday.Mr Satish chile was nice to point out the error.I am thankful to him.The scientific name of this plant is Santalum album.I am attaching a corrected version of the image.I am attaching an image of ASHOKA as mentioned by Valmiki in his Ramayan.Scientifically this tree is Saraca indica.In North India,another tree is also known as Ashoka,scientifically that tree is Polyalthia longifolia.Valmiki's ASHOKA is Saraca indica.There are many interesting stories about this tree.I hope you are liking this aspect of poet Valmiki.
Chandan.jpg
Valmiki 6.jpg

Col Bimal Sarkar

Apr 22, 2011, 10:52:04 AM4/22/11
Dear Friend,
In Ramayan Valmiki has mentioned KADAMABA.Scientific name of Kadamba is Anthocephalus cadamba.But there is another contender for KADAMBA,scientifically that tree is Mitragyna parviflora.In Mathura the second type of Kadamba is in plenty.But here in Bengal and in Assam first type is seen.Attaching images of both the type.
Kadamba 1.jpg
Kadamba 2.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 22, 2011, 11:35:09 AM4/22/11
to Col Bimal Sarkar, efloraofindia
Bimal ji
Anthocephalus cadamba is now correctly known as  Neolamarckia cadamba (Roxb.) Bosser
The second plant is Mitragyna parvifolia (and not parviflora), having smaller heads and dry when mature.

The common names for former include Kadamba (Hindi, Beng., Mar. & Guj.), kadambamu in Tel., vellai-cadamba in Tam., kadawala in Kan., attutek in Mal. Kadam in Trade

Latter is known as Kaim, kalmi, kadassa in Hindi, gullikadam in Beng., kalamb, kuddam in Mar., Nir-kadambe in Tel., Chinna kadambu in Tam., kongu and kadaga in Kan., , vimbu and nirkadambu in Mal. Kaim in Trade.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Col Bimal Sarkar

Apr 23, 2011, 9:14:46 AM4/23/11
Dear Friend,
Attaching two images of CHAMPAKA ,as mentioned by Valmiki in his Ramayan.First one is of the flower and the second one is of the fruit of the plant.Champak blooms at this time of the year,you can not miss the fragrance of this flower,once in bloom.I have seen the most majestic CHAMPAKA treee at Dehradun.The scientific name of this tree is Michelia champaca.
Champaka 1.jpg
Champaka 2.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 23, 2011, 9:40:01 AM4/23/11
to Col Bimal Sarkar, efloraofindia, J.M. Garg
Bimal ji
Let us keep one plant (type) per thread. This will be convenient for reference in our database. I notice that your mails don't have option for reply all. I have always to add efloraofindia id.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Satish Chile

Apr 24, 2011, 2:14:17 AM4/24/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Col Bimal Sarkar, efloraofindia, J.M. Garg
 Yes Bimal ji both Neolamarckia cadamba and Mitragyna parvifolia bear
almost same look atleat for a nonbotanist but these two have
remarkable difference. Thank you for posting them together for
comparison.

--
Dr. Satish Kumar Chile

Col Bimal Sarkar

Apr 24, 2011, 9:54:24 AM4/24/11
Dear Friend,
Attaching an image of LAKOCHA as mentioned by Valmiki in his Ramayan. Once this tree was very common in Bengal and Assam.I saw a huge tree near the Military Hospital in Indian Military Academy( I only hope it is still there ).Common name of this tree is Monkey Jack.Scientifically it is known as Artocarpus lakoocha.
Lakocha 1.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 24, 2011, 10:41:59 AM4/24/11
to Col Bimal Sarkar, efloraofindia
Bimal ji

When ever you send photographs of one plant, let it have a unique subject line, so that when some one replies all mails regarding that plant remain in the same thread and all of us will be able to access all these mails together and also the link to the database will keep all these mails together.
   Next time when you send a mail concerning a different plant, it should have a different subject line to maintain its identity and prevent its mixing up with earlier mails.
   When you send a plant for identification the subject line should start with a unique code constructed from dd+mm+yyyy+your initials+your mail number for the day. For example if I send a plant number two for id today the subject line would be "24042011GS2 for ID from Delhi". In this way all mails in reply to this will remain together.

   Also when you send mails it should be addressed to  "efloraofindia" <indian...@googlegroups.com>,

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Col Bimal Sarkar

Apr 25, 2011, 9:44:02 AM4/25/11
Dear Friend,
Attaching an image of PANAS as mentioned by Valmiki in his Ramayan.Common name of this tree is Jack Tree.Scientifically it is known as Artocarpus heterophyllus.
Panas 1.jpg

Col Bimal Sarkar

Apr 26, 2011, 10:13:30 AM4/26/11
Dear Friend,
Attaching two images of SAPTAPARNA as mentioned by Valmiki in his Ramayan.The scientific name of this tree is Alstonia scholaris.( Scholaris,as in good old days writing board for students used to be made out of the wood of this tree ).
Saptaparna 1.jpg
Saptaparna 2.jpg

Col Bimal Sarkar

Apr 27, 2011, 10:09:53 AM4/27/11
Dear Friend,
Attaching two image of BIMBA as mentioned by Valmiki in his Ramayan.It is a climber with white flowers and small fruits which are conspicuous when ripe(at that time,they turn crimson).In sanskrit there is a term "BIMBOSHTHA",meaning lips like Bimba.
Common english name of this plant is Ivy Gourd.Scientifically it is known as Coccinia grandis.
Bimba 1.jpg
Bimba 2.jpg