DKV 10102011. Request for species id.

Dev Kumar

Oct 10, 2011, 1:07:30 PM10/10/11
to indiantreepix
DKV 10102011
Mhow, Dist Indore, MP

Request for species id.

Given by a family friend who said its name in Hindi is "neemglo" and
that it must be grown at the base of a neem tree and it is a natural
hypoglycemic - used by diabetics to lower blood sugar.

Regards
Dev

DSC04206.JPG
DSC04207.JPG
DSC04208.JPG

Balkar Singh

Oct 10, 2011, 8:17:40 PM10/10/11
to Dev Kumar, indiantreepix
Tinospora cordifolia commonly called as Giloy Be
--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964

Dr Pankaj Kumar

Oct 10, 2011, 8:29:02 PM10/10/11
to efloraofindia
Yes this should be Tinospora but cordifolia or sinensis, it needs to
be confirmed.
Lick the leaves, do you find hairs on the surface !!!
If yes then it should be sinensis otherwise cordifolia.
Pankaj

On Oct 11, 8:17 am, Balkar Singh <balkara...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Tinospora cordifolia commonly called as Giloy Be
>
> On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 10:37 PM, Dev Kumar

H S

Oct 11, 2011, 1:14:20 AM10/11/11
to Dr Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
yes its Tinospora cordifolia other name T. glabra, some consider it synonym.. Tinospora sinensis has hairy leaves and bigger compare to this one..

regards,
--
 - H.S.

A scientific man ought to have no wishes, no affections, - a mere heart of stone

Pankaj Kumar

Oct 11, 2011, 1:30:08 AM10/11/11
to H S, efloraofindia
T. sinensis leaves are no hairy that it can be seen in the particular
pic I assume. I may be wrong though.
Regards
Pankaj

"Taxonomists getting Extinct and Species Data Deficient !!"

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Conservation Officer

Office:
Flora Conservation Department
Kadoorie Farm and Botanic Garden (KFBG) Corporation
Lam Kam Road, Tai Po, New Territories, Hong Kong.

Residence:
36B, Ng Tung Chai, Lam Tseun
Tai Po, New Territories, Hong Kong.

email: pku...@kbfg.org
       sahani...@gmail.com
       pankaj...@rediffmail.com
Phone: +852 2483 7128 (office - 8:30am to 5:30pm)
       +852 9436 6251; +852 5431 6094 (mobile)

H S

Oct 12, 2011, 6:15:27 AM10/12/11
to Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
these pics are of T. cordifolia and not of T. sinensis

regards,

Giby Kuriakose

Oct 13, 2011, 2:23:58 AM10/13/11
to Dev Kumar, indiantreepix, PANKAJ KUMAR, Balkar Arya, H S
Dear Dev Kumar Ji please let us know whether the laves are hairy or not. Further, these leaves looks fresh ones, if so, do you have pictures of mature leaves.

Thanks and Regards,
Giby

--
GIBY KURIAKOSE PhD
Royal Enclave,

Giby Kuriakose

Oct 13, 2011, 2:27:29 AM10/13/11
to Pankaj Kumar, indiantreepix
Dear Pankaj,

Information in your 2 mails in this thread is contradictory!

In the first mail you said "do you find hairs on the surface !!! If yes then it should be sinensis....." and then later " T. sinensis leaves are no hairy that it can be seen in the particular pic I assume...."

Regards,
Giby

Yes this should be Tinospora but cordifolia or sinensis, it needs to
be confirmed.
Lick the leaves, do you find hairs on the surface !!!
If yes then it should be sinensis
otherwise cordifolia.
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar

Oct 13, 2011, 2:31:06 AM10/13/11
to Giby Kuriakose, indiantreepix
Dear Gibs
Thanks for correction. I was not attentive I think.
Yes. T. sinensis is hairy and not cordifolia ...
Sorry...
Pankaj

Vijayasankar

Oct 13, 2011, 3:40:52 PM10/13/11
to Pankaj Kumar, Giby Kuriakose, indiantreepix
The pictures look very much like T. cordifolia. Stems and leaves of T. sinensis can't be mistaken owing to the prominent lenticells and indumentum.

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi

Dr Pankaj Kumar

Oct 13, 2011, 9:58:34 PM10/13/11
to efloraofindia
Dear Vijay. I think I have seen lenticels in both as far as I can
remember. We had both in oru campus, back at home in WII !! The leaf
surface and petiole is puberulent in sinensis. That cant be seen in
such low resolution pics.
I am not saying that this pic is not cordifolia. I am just sayingthat
its not easy to make out from this pic.
Pankaj

On Oct 14, 3:40 am, Vijayasankar <vijay.botan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The pictures look very much like T. cordifolia. Stems and leaves of T.
> sinensis can't be mistaken owing to the prominent lenticells and indumentum.
>
> Regards
>
> Vijayasankar Raman
> National Center for Natural Products Research
> University of Mississippi
>
> On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 1:31 AM, Pankaj Kumar <sahanipan...@gmail.com>wrote:
>

> > Dear Gibs
> > Thanks for correction. I was not attentive I think.
> > Yes. T. sinensis is hairy and not cordifolia ...
> > Sorry...
> > Pankaj
>
> > On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 2:27 PM, Giby Kuriakose
> > <giby.kuriak...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Dear Pankaj,
> > > Information in your 2 mails in this thread is contradictory!
> > > In the first mail you said "do you find hairs on the surface !!! If yes
> > then
> > > it should be sinensis....." and then later " T. sinensis leaves are no
> > hairy
> > > that it can be seen in the particular pic I assume...."
>
> > > Regards,
> > > Giby
>
> > > Yes this should be Tinospora but cordifolia or sinensis, it needs to
> > > be confirmed.
> > > Lick the leaves, do you find hairs on the surface !!!
> > > If yes then it should be sinensis otherwise cordifolia.
> > > Pankaj

> > this

> > > --
> > > GIBY KURIAKOSE PhD
> > > Ashoka Trust for Research in Ecology and the Environment (ATREE),
> > > Royal Enclave,
> > > Jakkur Post, Srirampura
> > > Bangalore- 560064
> > > India
> > > Phone - +91 9448714856 (Mobile)
> > > visit my pictures @http://www.flickr.com/photos/giby
>
> > --
> > "Taxonomists getting Extinct and Species Data Deficient !!"
>
> > Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
> > Conservation Officer
>
> > Office:
> > Flora Conservation Department
> > Kadoorie Farm and Botanic Garden (KFBG) Corporation
> > Lam Kam Road, Tai Po, New Territories, Hong Kong.
>
> > Residence:
> > 36B, Ng Tung Chai, Lam Tseun
> > Tai Po, New Territories, Hong Kong.
>
> > email: pku...@kbfg.org
> >        sahanipan...@gmail.com
> >        pankajsah...@rediffmail.com

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 13, 2011, 10:34:06 PM10/13/11
to Dr Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
Then I won't blame eFlora of Pakistan much. It considers (although wrongly) all T. cordifolia (atleast of N W India and Pakistan) as T. malabarica Miers (now correctly T. sinensis)

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Pankaj Kumar

Oct 13, 2011, 10:58:33 PM10/13/11
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Respected Gurcharan Sir

There are two cordifolias

1. Tinospora cordifolia (Willd.) Hook.f. & Thomson -- Fl. Indica 1: 184 (1855).
[Menispermum cordifolium Willd. Sp. Pl., ed. 4 [Willdenow] 4(2):
826. (1806)]

AND

2. Tinospora cordifolia Miers -- Ann. Mag. Nat. Hist. ser. 2, 7(37): 38. (1851).

1. is a valid name and eflora of Pakistan talks about about Tinospora
cordifolia Miers. as synonym of T. malabarica, which is actually now
T. sinensis.

email: pku...@kbfg.org
       sahani...@gmail.com
       pankaj...@rediffmail.com

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 13, 2011, 11:13:48 PM10/13/11
to Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
Pankaj ji
But did you notice two things

1. It does not list T. cordifolia from Pakistan
2. Under synonyms of T. malabarica it lists both Miers; Hook.f. & T.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Pankaj Kumar

Oct 13, 2011, 11:18:32 PM10/13/11
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
yes sir I saw that
and then in the main text in the pdf, it writes Tinospora malabarica
(Lamarck) J. D. Hooker & Thomson as synonym of Tinospora sinensis
(Loureiro) Merrill !!!
Confusing...
Pankaj

Vijayasankar

Oct 13, 2011, 11:39:25 PM10/13/11
to Dr Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
Dear Pankaj, I agree with you. But (back at home !!) I had both herbarium and live plants of these two species. But T.s. was a male one. The stems of this had tomentose hairs and lenticells which are more prominent and denser than that of T. c.
I think, now the ball is in Dev Kumar ji's court! :)

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi