A lichen from Norway

Kiran Srivastava

Jun 4, 2011, 2:34:33 PM6/4/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com
I photographed this lichen on a mountain top in Molde, Norway. I gleaned the following information from the internet and I hope my id is correct:

Haematomma ventosum: This lichen grows in places which are exposed to the wind and weather. It is a yellow/grey slow growing lichen with blood red specks dotted about it. The red specks protect the lichen from the strong UV radiation, so the higher the lichen, the more red specks. These lichens are strongly attached to the rock and even penetrate into it to get minerals. A crustose lichen.

Cheers,
Kiran Srivastava
Mumbai

P1100044-1.JPG

Ushadi micromini

Jun 5, 2011, 9:57:38 AM6/5/11
to efloraofindia
no photo?

tanay bose

Jun 5, 2011, 10:16:31 AM6/5/11
to Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
This is Blood-spot lichen, Ophioparma ventosa
For more info about the systematic position and synonyms
Tanay

--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.