Euphorbiaceae week: Euphorbia antiquorum L.

Muthu Karthick

Mar 12, 2011, 4:33:38 AM3/12/11
to indiantreepix
Name: Euphorbia antiquorum L.
Family: Euphorbiaceae
Date: 03 March 2011
Location: Namangalam RF, Chennai
Altitude: c. 10 ASL

Locally abundant having distinct 3-angled stem. Is my id right?
--
Muthu Karthick, N
Care Earth Trust
#15, second main road,
Thillai ganga nagar,
Chennai - 600 061
Mob: 0091 96268 33911
www.careearthtrust.org

ce 010.jpg
ce 011.jpg
ce 013.jpg
ce 014.jpg
ce 015.jpg
ce 016.jpg
ce 017.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Mar 12, 2011, 8:19:11 AM3/12/11
to Muthu Karthick, indiantreepix
Yes Muthu ji, you are right
Very nice photographs.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Rashida Atthar

Mar 12, 2011, 10:00:58 AM3/12/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Muthu Karthick, indiantreepix
Thanks Muthu ji for the very nice pictures. Here's a description from Dr. Almeida's flora ..." Involucres 3-nate, forming small  pedunculate cymes, the central flower sessile, female , the two lateral on long stout pedicels; bracteoles numerous, laciniate; glands 5,large, broader than long. Stamens numerous. Capsules nearly1 cm in diameter; cocci compressed, glabrous; style 2 -fid. "  Flowers- Feb to May.

regards,
Rashida.

Gurcharan Singh

Mar 12, 2011, 11:10:59 AM3/12/11
to Rashida Atthar, Muthu Karthick, indiantreepix
Rashida ji
There is some confusion. In Euphorbia cyathium has numerous male flowers, each with one stamen. So statement about numerous stamens is wrong.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Rashida Atthar

Mar 12, 2011, 11:20:38 AM3/12/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Muthu Karthick, indiantreepix
Yes sir , but here is assumed that we know the cyathium has numerous male flowers which are nothing but stamens and so  numerous stamens !

regards,
Rashida.

Gurcharan Singh

Mar 12, 2011, 11:29:47 AM3/12/11
to Rashida Atthar, Muthu Karthick, indiantreepix
Yes Rashida ji
But to say numerous stamens would be wrong. We can say numerous male flowers. (or we can simply omit; all species of Euphorbia have numerous male flowers in each cyathium). We can't be technically wrong.