Garden flower for ID

ranjini kamath

Nov 9, 2010, 8:36:01 AM11/9/10
to indiatreepix
Request ID of this plant.
Date/Time - 14/02/10 - 10.30am
Location - Lalbagh Nursery,Bangalore
Habitat - Garden
Plant habit - Lanky shrub
Ht - Not sure -could grow tall left to itself
Thank you
Regards
Ranjini Kamath
IMG_7736-ph5.jpg
IMG_7736-ph.jpg
IMG_7736-ph-3.jpg

Vijayasankar

Nov 9, 2010, 11:25:58 AM11/9/10
to ranjini kamath, indiatreepix
Ruta chalepensis (= R. graveolens).
[Note: I was thinking these two names are synonyms. But GRIN treats them separate. Any comments please?]

Regards

Vijayasankar

Tabish

Nov 9, 2010, 1:21:02 PM11/9/10
to efloraofindia
The two plants Ruta chalepensis and Ruta graveolens appear same to me
- I would love to be enlightened on this.
- Tabish

On Nov 9, 9:25 pm, Vijayasankar <vijay.botan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> *Ruta chalepensis *(= R. graveolens).
> [Note: I was thinking these two names are synonyms. But GRIN treats them
> separate. Any comments please?]
>
> Regards
>
> Vijayasankar

Pankaj Kumar

Nov 9, 2010, 2:31:30 PM11/9/10
to Tabish, efloraofindia
Ruta graveolens L. Sp. Pl. 1: 383. 1753

Ruta chalepensis L. Mant. Pl. 69. 1767

I dont know if they are synonyms or not, but if they are then Ruta
graveolens should have been an accepted name.
Then I found another

Ruta chalepensis Wall. Numer. List [Wallich] n. 7113.

Please comment!!
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

Pankaj Kumar

Nov 9, 2010, 2:50:44 PM11/9/10
to Tabish, efloraofindia
Ruta graveolens L. Sp. Pl. 1: 383. 1753

Type: Lectotype - Herb. Linn. No. 537.1 (LINN)

Image of type attached.

Regards
Pankaj

Slide1.JPG
Slide2.JPG

Pankaj Kumar

Nov 9, 2010, 2:52:59 PM11/9/10
to Tabish, efloraofindia
Ruta chalepensis L. Mant. Pl. 69. 1767

Type: Lectotype - Herb. Linn. No. 537.4 (LINN)

Image of type attached.

Regards
Pankaj

Slide3.JPG
Slide4.JPG

Vijayasankar

Nov 9, 2010, 6:04:47 PM11/9/10
to Pankaj Kumar, Tabish, efloraofindia
Please have a look at these links for pictures:

Do you see any difference in the plants, particularly, check the flower close-up pics.
And why R. chalepensis is called as 'fringed rue' while the other sp is knows as 'common rue'. May be the difference is in 'fringe'd nature of petals???
I hope some of our recent floras treat them as synonym.

Regards

Vijayasankar

Vijayasankar

Nov 9, 2010, 6:07:18 PM11/9/10
to Pankaj Kumar, Tabish, efloraofindia
I think they are different, see the fringed petals in one and almost entire petals in the other.

Regards

Vijayasankar

P3273510.jpg
ruta_grav2256.jpg