Salvia-moorcroftiana-macrosiphon-sclarea from Kashmir: two plants and three species

Gurcharan Singh

Aug 22, 2010, 10:53:35 PM8/22/10
to efloraofindia, Flowers of India
Having photographed this plant from Pampore Karewas on June 20, 2010, I was happy that I have photographed my most familiar Salvia, S. moorcroftiana a very common plant in the valley, but when I discovered and photographed another plant from Baramula on June 24 with white flowers and sat with my books and internet, I realised that there is much more than just difference in flower colour. Three closely related species S. moorcroftiana, S. sclarea (S. asperata of Hook.f.) and S. macrosiphon are reported from Kashmir.  The leaves of this plant are much narrower, almost elliptic oblong, scarcely broader than 12 cm, but the corolla tube is much longer than calyx, the bracts below the flower cluster is more or less transparent like S. sclarea. Kindly help in decision. Similar plant is displayed at FOI as S. lanata, but that is a much smaller plant with much smaller leaves, scarcely broader than 3 cm.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Salvia-moorcroftiana-macrosiphon-sclarea-Kashmir-2-a.jpg
Salvia-moorcroftiana-macrosiphon-sclarea-Kashmir-2-b.jpg
Salvia-moorcroftiana-macrosiphon-sclarea-Kashmir-2-c.jpg
Salvia-moorcroftiana-macrosiphon-sclarea-Kashmir-2-d.jpg
Salvia-moorcroftiana-macrosiphon-sclarea-Kashmir-2-e.jpg

tanay bose

Aug 22, 2010, 11:49:22 PM8/22/10
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, Flowers of India
I beleive this is Salvia moorcroftiana
Tanay

--
Tanay Bose
Research Assistant & Teaching Assistant

J.M. Garg

Oct 2, 2010, 2:14:49 AM10/2/10
to efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh, tanay bose, Tabish, Pravir, Dr. M. K. Pathak, Ritesh Kumar Choudhary, Dr. Pankaj Kumar

Earlier relevant feedback:

“I beleive this is Salvia moorcroftiana
Tanay”

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg (jmg...@gmail.com)

Salvia-moorcroftiana-macrosiphon-sclarea-Kashmir-2-a.jpg
Salvia-moorcroftiana-macrosiphon-sclarea-Kashmir-2-b.jpg
Salvia-moorcroftiana-macrosiphon-sclarea-Kashmir-2-c.jpg
Salvia-moorcroftiana-macrosiphon-sclarea-Kashmir-2-d.jpg
Salvia-moorcroftiana-macrosiphon-sclarea-Kashmir-2-e.jpg

J.M. Garg

Oct 4, 2010, 12:47:15 AM10/4/10
to efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh, tanay bose, Tabish, Pravir, Dr. M. K. Pathak, Ritesh Kumar Choudhary, Dr. Pankaj Kumar, Madhuri Pejaver
A query:
"is it moorcroftiana or microftiana or macroftiana????????
madhuri"

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 4, 2010, 11:49:04 AM10/4/10
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, tanay bose, Tabish, Pravir, Dr. M. K. Pathak, Ritesh Kumar Choudhary, Dr. Pankaj Kumar, Madhuri Pejaver
moorcroftiana from Moorcroft, an important collector.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

J.M. Garg

Oct 24, 2010, 1:47:54 AM10/24/10
to efloraofindia, tanay bose, Gurcharan Singh, Tabish, Dr. Pankaj Kumar, Pravir
Earlier relevant feedback:
“I beleive this is Salvia moorcroftiana
Tanay”

Gurcharan Singh

Nov 5, 2010, 9:23:56 PM11/5/10
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, tanay bose, Tabish, Dr. Pankaj Kumar, Pravir
Yes Salvia moorcroftiana finally