Pterocarpus acerifolium

Anantanarayan Rajaram

Aug 5, 2011, 2:23:47 AM8/5/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com
I am attaching a few pics of Pterocarpus acerifolium which I took at the Amrita University campus near Coimbatore last month in July. Searching the efloraofindia group, there does not seem to be any previous mention of this species.Thanks and regards
Rajaram
Pt.acerifolium a.jpg
Pt.acerifolium b.jpg
Pt.acerifolium mat.pod.jpg
Pt.acerifolium mat.bark.jpg

Neil Soares

Aug 5, 2011, 4:02:21 AM8/5/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com, Anantanarayan Rajaram
Hi,
 There seems to be a mistake. It should be Pterospermum acerofolium [Kanak Champa, Muchkund]. Will send my photographs of this later.
                Regards,
                  Neil Soares.

Neil Soares

Aug 5, 2011, 4:20:36 AM8/5/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com, Anantanarayan Rajaram
Hi,
  My photographs of Pterospermum acerofolium.
                      Regards,
                       Neil Soares.

--- On Fri, 8/5/11, Neil Soares <drneil...@yahoo.com> wrote:
Pterospermum acerfolium, Kanak Champa 1.jpg
Pterospermum acerfolium, Kanak Champa 2.jpg

Smilax004

Aug 5, 2011, 5:53:11 AM8/5/11
to Anantanarayan Rajaram, indiantreepix, Neil Soares

I too think that this is Pterospermum acerifolium of Sterculiaceae
family. Not Pterocarpus, for sure.

Regards,
Giby

On Aug 5, 11:23 am, Anantanarayan Rajaram <rajaram_an...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

> I am attaching a few pics of Pterocarpus acerifolium which I took at the Amrita University campus near Coimbatore last month in July. Searching the efloraofindia group, there does not seem to be any previous mention of this species.Thanks and regards
> Rajaram
>

>  Pt.acerifolium a.jpg
> 829KViewDownload
>
>  Pt.acerifolium b.jpg
> 819KViewDownload
>
>  Pt.acerifolium mat.pod.jpg
> 722KViewDownload
>
>  Pt.acerifolium mat.bark.jpg
> 636KViewDownload

Balkar Arya

Aug 5, 2011, 12:15:30 PM8/5/11
to Smilax004, Anantanarayan Rajaram, indiantreepix, Neil Soares
Pterospermum acerifolium yes    kanakchampa
--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964

Ushadi micromini

Aug 6, 2011, 1:41:59 AM8/6/11
to efloraofindia
Yes, Kanakchampa... Pterospermum acerifolium ...

used to be a popular street tree in Calcutta...
until very cheap Gulmohar nursery stock took over (which used to
sell for as low as ONE indian rupee per 3 foot nursery stock, if one
wanted it for street planting) ...!!!

Flowers from Mature trees fill the air with sweet smell for a couple
of weeks....
Usha di
=====
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Ushadi micromini

Aug 6, 2011, 1:48:53 AM8/6/11
to efloraofindia

Neil..... small point...
Muchakunda in Bengali and Hindi refers to * Pterospermum
suberifolim...*
(not * P. acerifolium* ...which is Kanak champa in most north indian
vernaculars)...

Usha di

=======

On Aug 5, 1:20 pm, Neil Soares <drneilsoa...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>   My photographs of Pterospermum acerofolium.
>                       Regards,
>                        Neil Soares.

formp...@yahoo.com

Aug 6, 2011, 2:51:51 AM8/6/11
to Ushadi micromini, Efloraindia
This is what I was trying to explain Sarkar ji in one of his Valmiki thread, that Muchkund and Kanakchapa are different. But as I don't remember the Sc. Name and no one else objected I kept quite.
Kanakchapa has golden colour thick sepals while Muchkund has white ones. Flowers of Kanakchampa are smaller while of Muchkund larger.
Madhuri
Sent from BlackBerry® on Airtel

Neil Soares

Aug 6, 2011, 3:16:33 AM8/6/11
to efloraofindia, Ushadi micromini
Hi,
 Fair enough !  Am not good at local names, but Muchkund was the name on the sapling bought fom a Botanical garden in Pune. Also Muchkund is the name used by Mr.Ingalhalikar in his second volume of ' More Flowers of the Sayadris'.
                       Regards,
                        Neil Soares.

Aug 6, 2011, 8:42:03 AM8/6/11
to Neil Soares, efloraofindia
Hello Neil,
Neither am I , I look up several classical texts and books...

 No problem. matter of fact ever since I started studying Ayurvedic medicine / herbs and learning binomial names and the reconciling them with the traditional and vernacular Indian names has been difficult... if not mind-boggling... often  there is a lot of duplication with opposite meaning sometimes...   to confuse the issue ... Kalidas named something different from the person who wrote Kadambari...or Ramayana and those concerned with Mahabharata  and those who wrote Shushrut and Charak texts originally all those thousands of years ago...

AND then multiply it with the tribal names... when you begin to study some ethnobotany....

Phew!!!  That's why a spread sheet with binomial and vernacular names gets soooooo  unweildy...

Usha di

==========

ushadi Micromini

Aug 6, 2011, 8:53:43 AM8/6/11
to formp...@yahoo.com, Efloraindia
Madhuirji:
yes you are right... about the colors...and the previous point, I seem to have missed the discussion...
and
No, you have the size of the flower mixed up...
the P. suberifolium flower is about 1.5 to 2.0 inches long, and its fruit/capsule id 2 to 3 inches long...
while....
P. acerifolium flower is about 5 inches long , the capsule is 5-6 inches long...

that's a quick way to differentiate...

We have several p. acerifolium trees in the streets of my neighbourhood and the Dhaukira lakes...
and have to go to the zoo to find the P. suberifolium...

next spring I will go deligently and take pictures of both ...  would be interesting...
Thanks
Usha di

=====

formp...@yahoo.com

Aug 6, 2011, 10:18:01 AM8/6/11
to ushadi Micromini, Efloraindia
Thank you Ushadi.
In Mumbai one of it is in Jijamata Udyan. Just on the left where drinking water taps are.
The other is planted on the road side from Kanjurmarg till a little further, on Estern express highway on right when we move from Thane to Mumbai. Previously even I was under impression that both of them are only one plant. But once in VJTI in annual flower show I coul see both seperate plants.
If not mistaken the size and shape of leaves too differ.

From: ushadi Micromini <micromi...@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Aug 2011 18:23:43 +0530
Subject: Re: [efloraofindia:76229] Re: Pterospermum acerifolium CORRECTION name ,Local name : Kanak champa