Sterculia urens

Rashida Atthar

Jan 14, 2011, 3:54:03 AM1/14/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com
The fruits of Sterculia urens have been posted many times on our group. Today whilst going through the book 'Trees of  Mumbai' for some other reference I found it mentioned that the roasted seeds of the fruits are eaten by humans !! Birds also eat their fleshy sweetish covering or aril !!  The leaves form nutritious fodder. The bark is used for cordage.The pictures are taken early this month at the south end of the national park in Mumbai.

regards,
Rashida
Sterculia urens fruiting.JPG
Sterculia urens.JPG

tanay bose

Jan 14, 2011, 7:36:19 AM1/14/11
to Rashida Atthar, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Rashida ji this fact was completely unknown to me
tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Madhuri Pejaver

Jan 14, 2011, 10:35:44 AM1/14/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com, Rashida Atthar
If I recollect correctly the tribals put these fruits on ground, cover with something and rub with there feet on it to avoid the bristles/ hair on the fruit. The fruits taste like almonds.
I had once an apportunity to taste them in jungle' It is not a very big seed.
Madhuri