Shrub No.3 for ID plz.

Mymoon Moghul

Jul 31, 2011, 2:53:51 AM7/31/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Hello
Please help with the ID. All taken in Chennai, South India in the month of july.

Thanks
regards
Mymoon

ID-3.JPG

Smilax004

Jul 31, 2011, 3:44:51 AM7/31/11
to Mymoon Moghul, indiantreepix

Dear all,

I repeatedly inform all who post pictures for id that please provide
supporting information along with pictures. Information along with
pictures would certainly ease the id process. In the case of the
picture in this post we are not sure what is the habit of this plant.
Non of the leaves are clearly visible in the picture. It is not clear
whether there are thorns on the stem of this plant. It is not very
clear that whether leaves are opposite or alternate. Not clear about
the size of plant, leaf, flower etc. The number of lobs in the corolla
is also crucial that is not clear. The person who take the picture
might know all these things. If you provide such information it would
be better to confirm the species. Making assumptions might lead to
wrong id. Any way, we take several minutes to hours (sometimes) to id
a plant. When take pictures please take more than one picture from
different angle so as to include more details in one snap. When you
download the pictures select the one that has maximum information to
post for id.
You may please visit Dinesh ji's photos @http://www.flickr.com/photos/
dinesh_valke/ to have an idea on this aspect.

Therefore, I request all posters in this group to kindly take little
bit of extra effort/time to provide necessary information (please see
the format to post pictures for id). This not only would help us in id
the plant but also help those who want to learn the species in
detail.

Regards,
Giby

>  ID-3.JPG
> 133KViewDownload

tanay bose

Jul 31, 2011, 11:03:43 AM7/31/11
to Smilax004, Mymoon Moghul, indiantreepix
Hi Giby Ji.
I appreciate and understand that all the botanist always wants
the best information from the plant around them to get it
identified if not they feel frustrated. But we should also consider
that most of the members in our group are non-botanist and have
very little ideas about the technical morphological complexities
in the plant. Though some non botanist members have great
knowledge about such technical terminologies but still the majority
stays unaware of it. Hence I think you can  make such non-botanist
members aware of what we actually expect from them in a more
calm and refined manner rather getting too excited and robust. So that
next time they can try to record the data from the field. I have no intentions
to hurt you as you are one an assets in your group hence I
believe you will take my words sporting without any hard feelings.

Thanks
Tanay

--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Ushadi micromini

Jul 31, 2011, 11:21:12 PM7/31/11
to efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh, J. M. Garg, tanay bose
DEAR ALL
I SECOND TANAY IN THIS WRITE UP.....

Giby ji: TAKE CARE WHAT YOU ARE ABOUT....
NOT nice to keep being churlish and telling people off...
You have a lot of knowledge... my Grand ma used to say as the
mango tree gets full of fruits it bows down more and more...

so it is with human beings...as the knowledge increases,
truly increases, we should become more humble...

Please take your cues from Gurucharanji and Garg ji and Dinesh Valke
ji ..
.Dr. Vijayashankar Raman et al..
They may correct us from time to time, but they NEVER TELL US OFF.....

A group like this is only as good as it gets because of the
Knowledge base of its members and the members' collegiality,
congeniality and friendships that develop among its members....

PLEASE ALL, LETS KEEP IT THAT WAY...
Regards,
Usha di
===

On Jul 31, 8:03 pm, tanay bose <tanaybos...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Giby Ji.
> I appreciate and understand that all the botanist always wants
> the best information from the plant around them to get it
> identified if not they feel frustrated. But we should also consider
> that most of the members in our group are non-botanist and have
> very little ideas about the technical morphological complexities
> in the plant. Though some non botanist members have great
> knowledge about such technical terminologies but still the majority
> stays unaware of it. Hence I think you can  make such non-botanist
> members aware of what we actually expect from them in a more
> calm and refined manner rather getting too excited and robust. So that
> next time they can try to record the data from the field. I have
> no intentions
> to hurt you as you are one an assets in your group hence I
> believe you will take my words sporting without any hard feelings.
>
> Thanks
> Tanay
>
> *Tanay Bose*
> Research Assistant & Teaching Assistant.
> Department of Botany.
> University of British Columbia .
> 3529-6270 University Blvd.
> Vancouver, B.C. V6T 1Z4 (Canada)
> Phone: 778-323-4036 (Mobile)
>            604-822-2019 (Lab)
>            604-822-6089  (Fax)
> ta...@interchange.ubc.ca
> *Webpages:*http://www.botany.ubc.ca/people/mberbee.htmlhttp://www.botany.ubc.ca/people/gradstud.htmlhttps://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/

Ushadi micromini

Jul 31, 2011, 11:22:29 PM7/31/11
to efloraofindia

On Jul 31, 8:03 pm, tanay bose <tanaybos...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Giby Ji.
> I appreciate and understand that all the botanist always wants
> the best information from the plant around them to get it
> identified if not they feel frustrated. But we should also consider
> that most of the members in our group are non-botanist and have
> very little ideas about the technical morphological complexities
> in the plant. Though some non botanist members have great
> knowledge about such technical terminologies but still the majority
> stays unaware of it. Hence I think you can  make such non-botanist
> members aware of what we actually expect from them in a more
> calm and refined manner rather getting too excited and robust. So that
> next time they can try to record the data from the field. I have
> no intentions
> to hurt you as you are one an assets in your group hence I
> believe you will take my words sporting without any hard feelings.
>
> Thanks
> Tanay
>
> *Tanay Bose*
> Research Assistant & Teaching Assistant.
> Department of Botany.
> University of British Columbia .
> 3529-6270 University Blvd.
> Vancouver, B.C. V6T 1Z4 (Canada)
> Phone: 778-323-4036 (Mobile)
>            604-822-2019 (Lab)
>            604-822-6089  (Fax)
> ta...@interchange.ubc.ca

Gurcharan Singh

Aug 1, 2011, 12:00:56 AM8/1/11
to Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
Ushadi
We missed your valuable comments. I am, however, becoming a fan of Tanay, seeing his pace of evolution and attainment of maturity since he joined the group. This group is known for high level of cordiality and fellowness.
    We have often been writing to new members to provide relevant information as per the prescribed format (which every person botanist or non-botanist can provide). True it is not possible for non-botanists to provide technical details but as I have been writing frequently, besides the format if mail is sent with some properly taken photographs, experts may be able to decifer details:

1. A photograph of the twig showing insertion of leaves, inflorescence, with one or more leaves in good view.
2. Side view close up of flower showing insertion of flower (if close up is properly taken, experts can study bract, pedicel, calyx, corolla
    from this).
3. Top view close up of flower to show stamens and carpels.
4. A photograph of fruit is always a bonus.

With these photographs, place, altitude, date of photography, habit and habitat information, the job of the experts would be much more easier.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Gurcharan Singh

Aug 1, 2011, 12:04:44 AM8/1/11
to Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia, J. M. Garg, tanay bose
Ushadi
I had sent these comments in another thread, I am repeating them here
(We missed your valuable comments-this comment of mine is not relevant now) . I am, however, becoming a fan of Tanay, seeing his pace of evolution and attainment of maturity since he joined the group. This group is known for high level of cordiality and fellowness.
[...]

Gurcharan Singh

Aug 1, 2011, 12:13:58 AM8/1/11
to Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia, J. M. Garg, tanay bose
Ushadi
And yes, In recent days I have developed new technique to judge size of parts that I may confuse later. (I remember once a photograph of Duranta erecta was shown in close up.....I missed it for Thunbergia). I put flower, leaf or fruit on my hand/finger/nail and take photograph. This helps me later to know their size (as also size of pedicel, bract, calyx, corolla). This is crucial since many closely related species are often differentiated on the basis of size of these parts.

And yes I must admit, you, Madhuri ji and Nalini ji have done a great service to the group through your writings.

formp...@yahoo.com

Aug 1, 2011, 12:29:20 AM8/1/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Efloraindia, Ushadi micromini
Sar ji
I also really appreciate Tanay.
But I miss his naughtiness now. He should keep his charm as a child, and not to become a old man.
In one previous mail also I had commented that he is keeping quite and has reduced interactions.
Madhuri

Sent from BlackBerry® on Airtel

From: Gurcharan Singh <sing...@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2011 09:30:56 +0530
To: Ushadi micromini<micromi...@gmail.com>
Cc: efloraofindia<indian...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: [efloraofindia:75565] Re: Shrub No.3 for ID plz. AND HOW TO BEHAVE

formp...@yahoo.com

Aug 1, 2011, 12:36:50 AM8/1/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Efloraindia, Ushadi micromini, J. M. Garg, tanay bose
Great sirji
Without even knowing B of Botany I am getting appreciated in this group!
To be very frank a am not and was never a hard core Taxonomist whether it is Botany or Zoology. But a really appreciate nature's wonders. In the long run someone ask me name I won't remember. But photo or actual plant and its wonder I will.
What I appreciate is the help rendered by every member to other in every possible small way. I appreciate the love of all of you towards the subject. And I like the sad feeling all of you feel if someone has to leave the group. That is the friendship without expectation.
Thanks for ----

From: Gurcharan Singh <sing...@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2011 09:43:58 +0530
To: Ushadi micromini<micromi...@gmail.com>
Cc: efloraofindia<indian...@googlegroups.com>; J. M. Garg<jmg...@gmail.com>; tanay bose<tanay...@gmail.com>
Subject: [efloraofindia:75567] Re: Shrub No.3 for ID plz.

Ushadi micromini

Aug 1, 2011, 11:35:58 AM8/1/11
to efloraofindia
Yes this is something we should all copy paste in a word file, print
it and keep it handy...
Thanks, Gurucharan ji, really aprreciate it... and all you do for this
group.
Thanks
Usha di

===========

> On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 8:52 AM, Ushadi micromini
> <microminipho...@gmail.com>wrote:
> >http://www.botany.ubc.ca/people/mberbee.htmlhttp://www.botany.ubc.ca/...

Ushadi micromini

Aug 1, 2011, 11:51:13 AM8/1/11
to efloraofindia

gee gosh... i did not change the subject line since dr singh had
corrected it...
we should go back to the original wordings... job is done ...
usha di

promila chaturvedi

Aug 2, 2011, 9:18:48 AM8/2/11
to Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
Can we avoid using strong words like behave.
Promila

Ushadi micromini

Aug 2, 2011, 9:44:55 AM8/2/11
to efloraofindia
I do not know why are you changing the subject line again, to pick a
fight...

but I do not want to fight....

work is done...
let it rest, Please...
Usha di
======

On Aug 2, 6:18 pm, promila chaturvedi
<thegardener.chaturv...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Can we avoid using strong words like behave.
> Promila
>
> On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 9:05 PM, Ushadi micromini

Ushadi micromini

Aug 2, 2011, 9:45:56 AM8/2/11
to efloraofindia
DEAR ALL:
PLEASE DO NOT KEEP BRINGING UP THE SUBJECT LINE
THAT HAS BEEN EDITED TWICE ALREADY TO ITS ORIGINAL
FORM, once by Gurucharanji, and then by me.....
the work is done...

AND WHEN YOU REPLY TO THIS THREAD IF EVER PLEASE
CHECK THE SUBJECT LINE SO THAT THE STRONGLY WORDED
PART DOES NOT SHOW UP....
THANKS....

Usha di

========

On Aug 2, 6:18 pm, promila chaturvedi
<thegardener.chaturv...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Can we avoid using strong words like behave.
> Promila
>
> On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 9:05 PM, Ushadi micromini

Gurcharan Singh

Jan 27, 2021, 12:25:11 AM1/27/21
to efloraofindia
Forwarding for ID
Distributed as  Unidentified 2
Group discussion at

Gurcharan Singh

Jan 27, 2021, 12:26:00 AM1/27/21
to indiantreepix
Forwarding for ID
Distributed as  Unidentified 2
Group discussion at

ID-3.JPG

Saroj Kasaju

Jan 27, 2021, 12:27:52 AM1/27/21
to efloraindia
Jasminum ??

Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju

Nancy Seby

Jan 27, 2021, 1:27:32 AM1/27/21
to efloraofindia
Could it be  Jasminum ritchiei?

Warm regards
Nancy Seby

Saroj Kasaju

Jan 27, 2021, 5:18:38 AM1/27/21
to efloraindia, Nancy Seby, Gurcharan Singh
Bingo!  Jasminum ritchiei IBP
Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju

Nancy Seby

Jan 27, 2021, 11:00:20 AM1/27/21
to efloraofindia
Thank you, Mr. Saroj Kumar Kasaju.

Warm regards
Nancy Seby

J.M. Garg

Feb 4, 2021, 7:27:51 AM2/4/21
to efloraofindia, Nancy Seby, Gurcharan Singh, Saroj Kasaju
I do not think so as per Jasminum ritchiei
Image does not have enough details.

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg