ID 300911

Bhatt Sweta

Sep 30, 2011, 6:41:03 AM9/30/11
to indiantreepix
Location Mumbai
Flowering
Date - September, 2011

--
Bhatt Shweta
Doctoral Research Student,
M.S.U.

DSC05656.JPG
DSC05653.JPG
DSC05654.JPG
DSC05655.JPG

Satish Phadke

Sep 30, 2011, 6:52:04 AM9/30/11
to Bhatt Sweta, indiantreepix
This is Bridelia retusa
At present flowering in Pune too
Euphorbiaceae Asana असाणा
--
Dr Satish Phadke

Giby Kuriakose

Sep 30, 2011, 6:53:09 AM9/30/11
to Bhatt Sweta, indiantreepix
Most probably Bridelia retusa of Phyllanthaceae family.

Regards,
Giby

--
GIBY KURIAKOSE PhD
Royal Enclave,

Bhatt Sweta

Sep 30, 2011, 6:58:21 AM9/30/11
to Giby Kuriakose, indiantreepix
Yes, i was wondering i am missing something here.
Missed the picture with the conical spines.
DSC05657.JPG
DSC05708.JPG

Giby Kuriakose

Sep 30, 2011, 7:02:51 AM9/30/11
to Bhatt Sweta, indiantreepix
Yes it is Bridelia retusa of Phyllanthaceae family, for sure.

Regards,
Giby

Satish Phadke

Sep 30, 2011, 7:06:24 AM9/30/11
to Bhatt Sweta, indiantreepix
The tiny flowers of this tree are really beautiful.  I diagnose the plant by looking at the leaf which is very characteristic and unmistakable even from a distance.
It is thick; leathery; the veins or nerves( I don't know what to call them correctly) are clear prominent and perfectly parallel originating from the mid vein. Of course the shape is important and the area of occurrence. Attaching some flowers captured recently in last fortnight from Mhatoba Tekdi Kothrud.

On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 4:11 PM, Bhatt Sweta <bhatt...@gmail.com> wrote:

--
Dr Satish Phadke
DSCN5491s.jpg

Balkar Arya

Sep 30, 2011, 9:20:32 AM9/30/11
to Satish Phadke, Bhatt Sweta, indiantreepix
Nice Post Satish Ji and Shweta Ji
--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964

Neil Soares

Sep 30, 2011, 1:20:20 PM9/30/11
to Bhatt Sweta, Satish Phadke, indiantreepix
Hi,
 It is now called Bridelia spinosa. My trees are also flowering. Sending a few of my photographs.
                        With regards,
                          Neil Soares.

--- On Fri, 9/30/11, Satish Phadke <drsmp...@gmail.com> wrote:
Bridelia spinosa, Asana flowering 1.jpg
Bridelia spinosa, Asana flowering 2.jpg
Bridelia spinosa, Asana flowering 3.jpg
Bridelia spinosa, Asana flowering 4.jpg
Bridelia spinosa, Asana flowering 5.jpg
Bridelia spinosa, Asana flowering 6.jpg

Bhatt Sweta

Oct 1, 2011, 4:24:03 AM10/1/11
to Neil Soares, Satish Phadke, indiantreepix
Thanks to everyone for this informative identification!!

Giby Kuriakose

Oct 5, 2011, 12:25:10 AM10/5/11
to Neil Soares, Bhatt Sweta, Satish Phadke, indiantreepix
According to "the plant list" Bridelia spinosa (Roxb.) Willd. is a synonym of Bridelia retusa (L.) A.Juss.
Giby

H S

Oct 6, 2011, 3:25:35 AM10/6/11
to Giby Kuriakose, Neil Soares, Bhatt Sweta, Satish Phadke, indiantreepix
the plant list put B. squamosa as synonym and  B. spinosa synonym of B. retusa...

 anyone pls clarify..  or we consider this all as one species following the plant list...

regards,
--
 - H.S.

A scientific man ought to have no wishes, no affections, - a mere heart of stone

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 6, 2011, 4:52:50 AM10/6/11
to H S, Giby Kuriakose, Neil Soares, Bhatt Sweta, Satish Phadke, indiantreepix
Flora Malesiana, Dressler, Euphorbiaceae, treats both species  (B. squamosa (Lehm.) Gehrm. and B. spinosa (Roxb.) Willd.) as synonyms of B. retusa (L.) A. Juss. Obviously they are same species. Flora Malesiana is one publication which can't be easily ignored.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

H S

Oct 6, 2011, 6:09:45 AM10/6/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Giby Kuriakose, Neil Soares, Bhatt Sweta, Satish Phadke, indiantreepix
Dear all, In Maharashtra we see two Bridelia (tree) species one is Bridelia spinosa (Roxb.) Willd. (plant stems with spines, dioecious flower) and other one is Bridelia squamosa (Lamk.) Gehrm. (Plant without spines, monoecious flower)

please anyone clarify this!!!!!

regards,

Dinesh Valke

Oct 6, 2011, 6:15:33 AM10/6/11
to H S, Gurcharan Singh, Giby Kuriakose, Neil Soares, Bhatt Sweta, Satish Phadke, indiantreepix
There is another:
Bridelia hamiltoniana Wall. ex Müll.Arg. (synonym of Bridelia montana (Roxb.) Willd.)

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=Brideliahamiltoniana&w=91314344%40N00&m=tags

Regards.
Dinesh

H S

Oct 6, 2011, 6:42:22 AM10/6/11
to Dinesh Valke, Gurcharan Singh, Giby Kuriakose, Neil Soares, Bhatt Sweta, Satish Phadke, indiantreepix
i was talking about trees,, Bridelia hamiltonia is a shrub.. we also get Bridelia stipularis in maharashtra.

regards,

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 6, 2011, 6:56:15 AM10/6/11
to Dinesh Valke, H S, Giby Kuriakose, Neil Soares, Bhatt Sweta, Satish Phadke, indiantreepix
Dear H S
Yes they may be two different trees, with some differences, but only an expert who has worked on specimens all over the wold can decide whether differences are enough to call them as different species or not, otherwise there would be no heterotypic synonym ever in this world. The simple fact that important recent publications treat them as synonms is enough to be satisfied. Perhaps the differences are considered even strong enough to call them as distinct varieties, although some earlier authors had done. Till we find any new publication which contradicts Flora Malesiana, I think we have to follow it.

And yes Bridelia hamiltoniana Wall. ex Mull.Arch is a synonym of B. montana (Roxb.) Willd.

So we have two B. retusa and B. montana.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

H S

Oct 6, 2011, 8:16:04 AM10/6/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Dinesh Valke, Giby Kuriakose, Neil Soares, Bhatt Sweta, Satish Phadke, indiantreepix
sirji both the species are very common in Maharashtra and different from each other, than how can one say them or treat them as a single species... atleast i am not satisfied with your explanation..

even Fr. Santapau and the Gehrm. treated these two different species, but they called B. spinosa by Bridelia roxburghiana which is synonym of B. spinosa Willd.

regards,

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 6, 2011, 9:18:13 AM10/6/11
to H S, Dinesh Valke, Giby Kuriakose, Neil Soares, Bhatt Sweta, Satish Phadke, indiantreepix
Dear H S
It is not question of my or your liking. We have to live with the present and accept what the science today accepts. I have great respect for Fr. Santapau, and all other great taxonomists of India, but have to accept if some recent revisions based on advanced taxonomic research have relegated some taxa to synonymy. I have numerous new species and name changes to my publication list, some of these have been changed recently, but that does not mean I won't accept those changes. We may have our opinions, but it is the latest taxonomic treatment that counts. Bridelia in Flora Malesiana is one the most recent treatments and most authors will follow it.

H S

Oct 6, 2011, 10:42:49 AM10/6/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Dinesh Valke, Giby Kuriakose, Neil Soares, Bhatt Sweta, Satish Phadke, indiantreepix
Dear Sirji,
 i never said it is a topic of liking... we have two different species in Maharashtra,, and i think many of the members (from maharashtra or Western India) on the group also will agree with it..

I think We need to check with Original Description and type material

I have not seen Flora of Malesiana.. so i don't know about the book.

regards,

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 6, 2011, 12:16:43 PM10/6/11
to H S, Dinesh Valke, Giby Kuriakose, Neil Soares, Bhatt Sweta, Satish Phadke, indiantreepix
Dear H S
It is online. Here is the link