09082011-BS-001 A small tree for ID from Munak Road Karnal

Balkar Arya

Aug 9, 2011, 1:06:47 PM8/9/11
to indiantreepix
Dear All
Small tree roadside area on Munak Road Karnal for id pls
Wild but may be planted by forest dept as only 2-3 trees were there on whole 25 KM stretch
Flowers not seen  Fruits orange colored
simple leaves
Thanks

--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964
IMG_5754Sm.JPG
IMG_5763Sm.JPG
IMG_5755Sm.JPG
IMG_5756Sm.JPG
IMG_5757Sm.JPG
IMG_5758Sm.JPG
IMG_5759Sm.JPG
IMG_5760Sm.JPG
IMG_5761Sm.JPG
IMG_5762Sm.JPG

Balkar Arya

Aug 9, 2011, 2:12:44 PM8/9/11
to indiantreepix
A reply from  Nidhan Singh
Streblus asper

On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 10:47 PM, Balkar Arya <balka...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks dear why not you posted id for whole group

On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 10:44 PM, Nidhan Singh <nidhans...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

This is Streblus asper.

--
Regards,

Dr. Nidhan Singh
Department of Botany
I.B. (PG) College
Panipat-132103 Haryana
Ph.: 09416371227

--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964

Pinki

Aug 10, 2011, 3:00:41 AM8/10/11
to efloraofindia
Surely Streblus asper

Alok
>  IMG_5754Sm.JPG
> 126KViewDownload
>
>  IMG_5755Sm.JPG
> 92KViewDownload
>
>  IMG_5756Sm.JPG
> 94KViewDownload
>
>  IMG_5757Sm.JPG
> 126KViewDownload
>
>  IMG_5758Sm.JPG
> 141KViewDownload
>
>  IMG_5759Sm.JPG
> 101KViewDownload
>
>  IMG_5760Sm.JPG
> 120KViewDownload
>
>  IMG_5761Sm.JPG
> 103KViewDownload
>
>  IMG_5762Sm.JPG
> 193KViewDownload
>
>  IMG_5763Sm.JPG
> 173KViewDownload

Ushadi micromini

Aug 10, 2011, 7:45:33 AM8/10/11
to efloraofindia
Dear Balkar ji:
New to my eyes, though my ears had heard about this...

My Dad's wood furniture polish guy had talked of some tree whose
leaves were used by his father for the final poilsh on small
delicate ornamental pieces...

I /we thought he was shooting the breeze and pulling our legs
that day many years ago... he said it was called Sheora...
he talked of some other leaves that were also quite rough like
fine sandpaper... I wish I had written down the list...
such memories are priceless... little did I know..
It had taken me awhile to track down that bengali name,
and then discovered he was not being funny, he was in the earnest...
I had found it in Tinkodi Ghosh’s Bonaushadhi book ..

I had forgotten that episode..

Untill today, I googled your tree name ..
and the story floated up from deep recesses of the memory bank...

MY Question: did you get to feel the surface of the leaves?
is it really rough enough to be used as polishing material?

Usha di
====

Balkar Arya

Aug 10, 2011, 11:47:04 AM8/10/11
to Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
Thanks UshaJi for the information

ushadi Micromini

Aug 10, 2011, 1:13:16 PM8/10/11
to Balkar Arya, efloraofindia
yes, but what about my question:
i repeat  it here....

MY Question:   did you get to feel the surface of the leaves?
is it really  rough enough to be used as polishing material?

end repeat...
usha di
=======================

Balkar Arya

Aug 10, 2011, 9:07:42 PM8/10/11
to ushadi Micromini, efloraofindia
Yes Usha Ji Surface was little rough but i think not enough to be used as polishing material. I will also try to examine in my next visit there soon.

Pudji Widodo

Aug 12, 2011, 3:54:02 AM8/12/11
to efloraofindia
Dear Dr Balkar Singh,

In Indonesia there are a lot of Streblus asper but I have never seen
the flowers and fruits. The leaves are not rough enough to polish the
hard wood, for soft wood like Hibiscus tiliaceus is enough. I think
the strongest for polishing wood is Ficus ampelas. Thank you for
uploading the pictures.

Regards,
Pudji Widodo
Fakultas Biologi Universitas Jenderal Soedirman
PURWOKERTO 53122 INDONESIA

Ushadi micromini

Aug 12, 2011, 8:06:13 AM8/12/11
to efloraofindia

I have since my above writing googled the possible use of leaves in
polishing...
I forget which url was it, but somewhere it says its used in polishing
wood and IVORY...
LO, Ivory???
Usha di
=========

Nudrat

Aug 13, 2011, 3:14:51 AM8/13/11
to efloraofindia
Hello,

I doubt if the tree in picture is Streblus asper as the Streblus that
i have seen growing around Mumbai are quite dull green and very rough
in appearance. I might, however be wrong

On Aug 12, 5:06 pm, Ushadi micromini <microminipho...@gmail.com>

Mohan V. Chunkath

Aug 13, 2011, 3:19:04 AM8/13/11
to efloraofindia
I have heard of leaves of Nyctanthes arbor-tristis being used for
rubbing down wood to get a fine finish. The leaves of this plant are
indeed quite rough.
Cheers,
Mohan

Balkar Arya