Fruits & Vegetable week - Brown cucumber

mani nair

Jan 12, 2011, 10:01:10 AM1/12/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear friends,

Sending photos of brown cucumber which was growing in our balcony garden.  This vegetable videly used in South Indian dishes.
In Malayalam we call it Vellarikka.

Place :  Dombivli
Date  :  June 2009

Regards,

Mani.
vellari2.jpg
vellari.jpg

tanay bose

Jan 12, 2011, 10:11:14 AM1/12/11
to mani nair, indian...@googlegroups.com
Nice catch from u r biodiversity patch
tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Gurcharan Singh

Jan 12, 2011, 10:23:59 AM1/12/11
to mani nair, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Mani ji
I had seen this known as Dosakai cucumber in Indian stores in California and uploaded it twice,  infact I had requested two three times to the members to locate this in India also. Thanks you have uploaded it, though it has not yet turned brown. It is also known as Mangalore cucumber or sambar cucumber. I am uploading mine from California.
     I have yet to see the Puna or Puneri cucumber which light greenish yellow in colour.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Cucumis-sativus-Dosakai-P1030793.JPG
Cucumis-sativus-sativus-Dosakai-P1040231.jpg

mani nair

Jan 12, 2011, 10:14:51 AM1/12/11
to tanay bose, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Tanay ji.  Do you use this vegetable in Kolkatta?  We have this plenty in our Mumbai market.

Regards,

Mani.

Pankaj Kumar

Jan 12, 2011, 11:07:38 AM1/12/11
to mani nair, indian...@googlegroups.com
I was in Dombivilli last year. I think you should submit a list of
what all you are growing in your balcony. Your balcony and Yazdy sir's
farm and make it up to Guiness book of world records :))
I remember when we had our house on first floor I had garden on the
roof and staircase (huge one) and balcony (2). I had around 500 pots
and then we had lawn and a small tank which had some aquatic plants
too.....
I miss my garden!!!
Pankaj

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 8:31 PM, mani nair <mani....@gmail.com> wrote:

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

mani nair

Jan 12, 2011, 10:28:58 AM1/12/11
to Gurcharan Singh, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Gurcharan ji.  Yes, the photo was taken when it was young.  when mature it turns to brownish red or yellow.    We prepare a dish containing brown cucumber and arvi. I do not know the name of the dish, but it is very tasty when taken with hot rice along with curd.

Regards,

Mani.

Gurcharan Singh

Jan 12, 2011, 12:08:50 PM1/12/11
to Pankaj Kumar, mani nair, indian...@googlegroups.com
While surfing the net I discovered an interesting thing. Dosakai cucumber or Mangalore cucumber is also known as yellow cucumber and often known as melon cucumber, being rounded in shape (I have seen them up to 10 cm across in California stores), usually yellowish brown with green speckles, but then in some writing the melon becomes lemon, the yellow colour is uniform and size of lemon, and believe me for both the alternate name is dosakai. I found it strange. Are we looking at two different cucumbers, or same?

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

J.M. Garg

Jul 4, 2013, 1:01:19 AM7/4/13
to efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh, Mani Nair, Tanay Bose, Dr. Pankaj Kumar
Dosakai is confirmed as Cucumis melo as per discussions in another thread.
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg