Fwd: 260411RV1 - tree for ID from Secunderabad

radha

Apr 28, 2011, 4:07:53 AM4/28/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: radha <dhika...@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 1:31 PM
Subject: Fwd: 260411RV1 - tree for ID from Secunderabad
To: indiantre...@googlegroups.com, sing...@gmail.com

Is this the Indian Beech tree?

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: radha <dhika...@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 6:02 PM
Subject: 260411RV1 - tree for ID from Secunderabad
To: sing...@gmail.com

Dear Mr Singh

Please help in identification of this tree.  I am not a botanist and therefore cannot describe it in detail using botanical terms.  It was a tall tree with many of the flowers at different branches.  Found in Secunderabad.

Thank you

Regards

Radha Vijay

DSC03334.JPG
DSC03333.JPG

Stephen A

Apr 28, 2011, 4:30:18 AM4/28/11
to radha, indian...@googlegroups.com

Millettia pinnata

Refer: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pongamia_pinnata

Regards,

Stephen...
--
http://about.me/stephen.a
Think about the Environment before printing this e-mail! ü

ajinkya gadave

Apr 28, 2011, 11:42:18 AM4/28/11
to Stephen A, radha, indian...@googlegroups.com
i think this is pongamia pinnata because difference between seedpod millettia pinnata seed pods are very thin and pongamia pinnata seed pod is very big .

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 28, 2011, 12:33:11 PM4/28/11
to ajinkya gadave, Stephen A, radha, indian...@googlegroups.com
Ajinkya ji
Milletia pinnata and Pongamia pinnata refer to the same plant. They are synonyms. The differences you are mentioning are between Pongamia pinnata (syn: Millettia pinnata) with short thick pods and white flowers and Millettia peguensis Ali  (syn: Millettia ovalifolia sensu Kurz pp) with purplish flowers and long flattened hairy pods.

The above plant is Pongamia pinnata (syn: Milletia pinnata). Some authors consider Millettia pinnata as accepted name.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

ajinkya gadave

Apr 28, 2011, 1:32:13 PM4/28/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Stephen A, radha, indian...@googlegroups.com
oh !!
thank you guru jee

Dr Pankaj Kumar

Apr 28, 2011, 3:21:14 PM4/28/11
to efloraofindia
Ya they are synonyms. Thanks for sharing.
Pankaj

On Apr 28, 10:32 pm, ajinkya gadave <ajinkyagad...@gmail.com> wrote:
> oh !!
> thank you guru jee
>
> On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 10:03 PM, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com>wrote:
>

> > Ajinkya ji
> > Milletia pinnata and Pongamia pinnata refer to the same plant. They are
> > synonyms. The differences you are mentioning are between Pongamia pinnata
> > (syn: Millettia pinnata) with short thick pods and white flowers and
> > Millettia peguensis Ali  (syn: Millettia ovalifolia sensu Kurz pp) with
> > purplish flowers and long flattened hairy pods.
>
> > The above plant is Pongamia pinnata (syn: Milletia pinnata). Some authors
> > consider Millettia pinnata as accepted name.
>
> > --
> > Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> > Retired  Associate Professor
> > SGTB Khalsa College, University of Delhi, Delhi-110007
> > Res: 932 Anand Kunj, Vikas Puri, New Delhi-110018.
> > Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
> >http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/
>
> > On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 9:12 PM, ajinkya gadave <ajinkyagad...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> >> i think this is pongamia pinnata because difference between seedpod
> >> millettia pinnata seed pods are very thin and pongamia pinnata seed pod is
> >> very big .

radha

Apr 29, 2011, 12:14:52 AM4/29/11
to ajinkya gadave, Gurcharan Singh, Stephen A, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dr Singh, Ajinkya, Stephen

Thank you all.  What a wonderful resource this group is!!
Regards

H S

Apr 29, 2011, 7:41:49 AM4/29/11
to radha, ajinkya gadave, Gurcharan Singh, Stephen A, indian...@googlegroups.com

Genus Pongamia Vent is Conserved name. monotypic....

 - H.S.

A scientific man ought to have no wishes, no affections, - a mere heart of stone

Ushadi micromini

Apr 29, 2011, 12:37:17 PM4/29/11
to radha, efloraofindia
Dear Radha: the tree seems to be Pongamia pinnata... right now these
trees have new leaves and all old seedpods are dropping on the
ground...in west bengal, india .... what state did you photograph
this, town or forest? natural /wild or garden grown... I shall
appreciate this information. Thanks.
Usha di