Argyreia Nervosa from Apsara konda

raghu ananth

Jul 2, 2011, 2:44:44 PM7/2/11
to efloraofindia

Argyreia Nervosa
Convolvulaceae
Climber, funnel shaped flower, Large leaves- upto 20cms approx
Habitat: Coastal hill, Apsara Konda (small water fall),
Haldipura, Uttara Kannada

DSC_8577a0 ApsaraKonda FlowerCloseup.jpg
DSC_8577a ApsaraKonda Flower.jpg
DSC_8578b Bud.jpg
DSC_8579 Leaves.jpg

Ushadi micromini

Jul 3, 2011, 9:22:18 AM7/3/11
to efloraofindia
An ayurvedic herb... leaves used in stopping bleeding from skin
wounds...
back of the leaves are silvery and hairy...
its the thousands of hairs that help form fibrin clots,
and start the process of wound healing... I read it somewhere that
this
was an important herb in our ancient historical almost mythic wars of
Ramayana and Mahabharata.. even when Alexander invaded....
but that could be Argyreia nervosa var. speciosa ... known as
Vrddhadaaruka, Vrddhadaaru, Sthavira, Sthavi-radaaru....

did you get to see the underside of the leaves and photograph them?
and seedpods... they can be spectacular with sepals still attached to
the round pods...

love this...
Usha di
====